Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2023, 03:40 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,191,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Tough choice. While Little Bighorn is historically fascinating, it's nothing but a stone marker in a sweeping treeless expanse. Once you've gone there and seen it, that's kind of it. Devil's Tower with its walking trails, etc. seems like a place I could spend a day at rather than just a few minutes.

Indian River, Michigan or Indian River Shores, Florida?
Indian River, Michigan. Never been there. Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch or Prince's Paisley Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 03:48 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Indian River, Michigan. Never been there. Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch or Prince's Paisley Park?
Paisley Park, easily. I've never been to MSP area, I loved Prince, and I loved the movie Purple Rain. He's one of the greats and he had the ability to play so many instruments like a boss. As for Neverland, hard pass.

Graceland or Dollywood?

Old 08-15-2023, 08:37 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Paisley Park, easily. I've never been to MSP area, I loved Prince, and I loved the movie Purple Rain. He's one of the greats and he had the ability to play so many instruments like a boss. As for Neverland, hard pass.

Graceland or Dollywood?
Dollywood. There's a lot of fun stuff to do there, plus it's in a gorgeous natural environment. And I have a lot of respect for Dolly Parton as a businesswoman and a philanthropist. I will say, though, that I was unexpectedly impressed by Graceland when I visited it. I came away thinking more highly of Elvis Presley as a person.

Seattle, WA or Halifax, NS?

Old 08-16-2023, 10:20 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Dollywood. There's a lot of fun stuff to do there, plus it's in a gorgeous natural environment. And I have a lot of respect for Dolly Parton as a businesswoman and a philanthropist. I will say, though, that I was unexpectedly impressed by Graceland when I visited it. I came away thinking more highly of Elvis Presley as a person.

Seattle, WA or Halifax, NS?
Tough choice, as I suspect both cities would be interesting. I think I'd slightly lean Seattle(as its bigger and has more to do), although Halifax would be interesting too.

Gaspe, QC, or St. John's, NL?

Old 08-17-2023, 06:12 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Tough choice, as I suspect both cities would be interesting. I think I'd slightly lean Seattle(as its bigger and has more to do), although Halifax would be interesting too.

Gaspe, QC, or St. John's, NL?
I've been to St John's. Spent three days without a car on foot staying in one of the flats on Jellybean row, a colorful rowhouse neighborhood up the hill from downtown. The downtown is lively day and night, great pub crawl kind of town with lots of music. The locals are a hoot, storytellers and characters and an accent with some echos from across the Atlantic. The setting is striking with solid rocky cliffs dropping off into the Atlantic.

A rigorous and rugged hike at Signal Hill can be had at the entrance to the harbor, a short walk away from downtown. The weather is wicked and always changing. But man I loved that little city. It's my favorite city in Canada and does well at staying authentic in its local character. i look forward to getting back there again.

No diss on Gaspe, the scenery around Perce and Forillon National Park looks impressive. But St John's brings th3 rugged scenery with the charm of an old world city in one compact area. It feels like a city at the edge of the world.

Mackinac Island, MI or San Juan Island, WA?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-17-2023 at 06:22 PM..

Old 08-18-2023, 07:14 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Mackinac Island, MI or San Juan Island, WA?
While I absolutely love northern Michigan and the Great Lakes, I would choose San Juan Island only because I've never been to the West Coast.

Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area (New York) or Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park (Michigan)?

Old 08-20-2023, 12:43 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
While I absolutely love northern Michigan and the Great Lakes, I would choose San Juan Island only because I've never been to the West Coast.

Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area (New York) or Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park (Michigan)?
Porcupine. Has a very interesting name that intrigues me. Memphis or St. Louis?

Old 08-24-2023, 02:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
Victoria , Canada to go camping and to stay at the hotel " Fairways on the mountain "

Old 08-24-2023, 10:29 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Porcupine. Has a very interesting name that intrigues me. Memphis or St. Louis?
Odd choice here(to some here inevitably) I know, but say Memphis mainly because it's been longer since my last visit here vs. Saint Louis.

Festival International de Lousiane music fest in Lafayette, LA, or Applachian String Band Music Festival in Clifftop, WV?

Old 08-25-2023, 07:19 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Festival International de Lousiane music fest in Lafayette, LA, or Applachian String Band Music Festival in Clifftop, WV?
I'll bet either one would be a blast. I'd go with the one in WV only because I love bluegrass music and prefer it to zydeco. Also it seems like an incredible setting, scenery-wise. I know the food will be better in Lafayette.

Which historic cemetery would you choose to explore:
Bonaventure Cemetery (Thunderbolt [Savannah], Georgia) or Hollywood Cemetery (Richmond, Virginia)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City