Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 08:05 AM

444 posts, read 282,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
That's cool, and speaks volumes about quality of their bus system.

However, if we're talking downtowns and one has rail and one doesn't, I'm going for the one that does.

Despite what a lot of people say, I actually like the Canadian Museum of Human Rights. Very innovative design and eye-catching.

However, the Gateway Arch is truly iconic and legendary. I think you could call it a cultural reset in architecture.
The relatively low transit usage in St. Louis probably means horrible service, with lack of routes and times though compared to winnipeg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 08:08 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
The relatively low transit usage in St. Louis probably means horrible service, with lack of routes and times though compared to winnipeg.
No idea, I never rode the bus in St. Louis. However, I'd say any city with a downtown subway has to win in that category. It's an amenity that can't be overlooked.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:55 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Though not comparable to St. Louis, by Canadian standards Winnipeg is considered to have a pretty high crime rate, among the worst in Canada. It had 44 murders in 2019, higher than Boston or Seattle.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:18 PM

824 posts, read 711,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Though not comparable to St. Louis, by Canadian standards Winnipeg is considered to have a pretty high crime rate, among the worst in Canada. It had 44 murders in 2019, higher than Boston or Seattle.
Yeah, Winnipeg, once you compare on a metro level, isn’t amazing by american standards, like it’s not the worst or anything, but plenty of american metros have lower crime/murder rates than Winnipeg, Winnipeg is about the middle to slightly lower end on a metro level when compared to other American cities.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:31 PM

20 posts, read 24,000 times
As far as Downtown built environment, I would say St. Louis. As far as activity and those living, shopping and working Downtown, Winnipeg. Canadian cities are so much better planned to function as an actual city.
Ridership in St. Louis is lower because the St. Louis is about as sprawled out as a metro can get. I mean, how far west and away from the core will the suburbs grow until they are no longer considered suburbs of St. Louis?
If only Winnipeg had a better climate. Minneapolis is as cold as I can go; don't think I could handle Manitoba winters. Although Missouri summers are not very enjoyable either.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
2019 was a bad year for Winnipeg. 44 murders was double what they had in 2018.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6349714/w...ert-solutions/

Old 12-16-2020, 03:07 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
When I first saw this topic, I thought it was a neat match-up based on each city being called the Gateway to the West for their respective countries. Unfortunately, it was not once mentioned and I am disappointed in all of you, especially the OP.

Downtown-wise, it's probably Winnipeg. I've never been to Winnipeg before, but I felt St. Louis's downtown needed some work and the freeways in and nearby really cut things off. There were also a lot of large surface parking lots. It also seemed really quiet for a city of its size. I did hear that it's still an improvement from before. What is nice about downtown is the Arch itself which was a lot more impressive in person than I expected though it did seem to have come at the cost of what appeared to be a very historic neighborhood. I also found it odd that they didn't cap the two segments of the freeway right next to the part where they did cap.

St. Louis does have some fine neighborhoods though with what seemed to be pretty healthy local commercial strips.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
St. Louis is way too easy to drive in. Some of the lowest gasoline prices in America. Super easy to drive in with a fantastic freeway system. MetroLink is super efficient. When a train is scheduled at 1203 it is there at 1203. Bus service is on time but isn't very useful with few exceptions.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:15 AM

444 posts, read 282,297 times
Aesthetically, After comparing this two pictures, i don't see how anyone could find downtown St. Louis more appealing than Winnipeg

St. Louis
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...44031e0d_b.jpg

Winnipeg
https://media.winnipegfreepress.com/...NEP6679063.jpg

Old 12-17-2020, 08:58 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Aesthetically, After comparing this two pictures, i don't see how anyone could find downtown St. Louis more appealing than Winnipeg

St. Louis
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...44031e0d_b.jpg

Winnipeg
https://media.winnipegfreepress.com/...NEP6679063.jpg
Can't see the St. Louis's subway in aerial shots though.

But really I'm not seeing much difference here? Both are about the same size, and I'm seeing significant surface parking in both. I am enjoying the iconic Gateway Arch though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City