Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:49 PM

444 posts, read 282,297 times

Advertisements

Which city has the better downtown

Both cities are 3rd tier in their respective country and seem similar to me.
However Winnipeg is more important to Canada than St. Louis is to the US in my opinion.

Can a moderator please add the poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 07:53 PM

For those unfamiliar, here is downtown Winnipeg

Old 12-15-2020, 08:20 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,851 times
I would say that Winnipeg has a better downtown than St. Louis simply because of the fact that Canadians didn't give up on their inner cities like many American cities did. With that said I don't think Winnipeg is really all that comparable to St. Louis demographically or culturally. Aesthetically, it also seems much more like Denver or Minneapolis. The St. Louis metro area is 4x the size of Winnipeg, so from a metropolitan perspective it really starts to pull away from Winnipeg in terms of scale and cultural offerings. To put it in perspective, St. Louis would be the third largest urban area if it were moved to Canada. Winnipeg wouldn't even be in the top 50 metropolitan areas in Canada.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:32 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,653,945 times
Yeah this seems like a super weird comparison, and I would not put Winnipeg in the same tier as St. Louis. The Winnipeg metro area has only 821,000 people-- roughly the same size as Columbia, SC. St. Louis ranks #20 in the USA with nearly 3 million. I don't see these two cities as parallels.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:07 PM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
I would have to go with St. Louis. Better architecture (Gateway Arch is truly iconic) and St. Louis has a subway downtown.

Winnipeg is nice but it's much smaller and no rail transit.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
I would have to go with St. Louis. Better architecture (Gateway Arch is truly iconic) and St. Louis has a subway downtown.

Winnipeg is nice but it's much smaller and no rail transit.
Regarding Transit, both systems carried about the same amount of people even though winnipeg is much smaller

St Louis: 53 million riders a year
https://cmt-stl.org/benefits-of-tran...%20to%20school.

Winnipeg: 48.4 million riders a year
https://winnipegtransit.com/en/about...us%20operators.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Yeah this seems like a super weird comparison, and I would not put Winnipeg in the same tier as St. Louis. The Winnipeg metro area has only 821,000 people-- roughly the same size as Columbia, SC. St. Louis ranks #20 in the USA with nearly 3 million. I don't see these two cities as parallels.
Winnipeg has a comparable downtown however with more high rises over 50m and with new construction and attractions in the downtown area.

They look similar to my eyes, with both being river cities with plenty of earlier 1900 architecture.

P.S. Canada and the US measure Metropolitan areas different especial regarding the rules of merging census agglomerations together. St. Louis would not be over 3 million if measured by statscan.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 12-16-2020 at 02:51 AM..

Old 12-16-2020, 05:26 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Regarding Transit, both systems carried about the same amount of people even though winnipeg is much smaller

St Louis: 53 million riders a year
https://cmt-stl.org/benefits-of-tran...%20to%20school.

Winnipeg: 48.4 million riders a year
https://winnipegtransit.com/en/about...us%20operators.
That's cool, and speaks volumes about quality of their bus system.

However, if we're talking downtowns and one has rail and one doesn't, I'm going for the one that does.

Quote:
Winnipeg has great architecture as well and it's skyline is growing with at a good rate plus the recent addition of the Canadian museum of Human rights.
Despite what a lot of people say, I actually like the Canadian Museum of Human Rights. Very innovative design and eye-catching.

However, the Gateway Arch is truly iconic and legendary. I think you could call it a cultural reset in architecture.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:31 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
One thing about Winnipeg (even though I generally hate "Canadian city X is equivalent to US city Y") is that it was generally seen as Canada's Chicago (as the big city in the country's mid-section) at one point in its history.

It was actually the third largest in Canada for a while, and the largest in the West.

This historic status and ambitions are reflected in some of the architecture of the city, especially in the Exchange District which is definitely "legacy big city" in feel.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:37 AM

824 posts, read 711,683 times
Quote:
Winnipeg has a comparable downtown however with more high rises over 50m and with new construction and attractions in the downtown area.

They look similar to my eyes, with both being river cities with plenty of earlier 1900 architecture.

P.S. Canada and the US measure Metropolitan areas different especial regarding the rules of merging census agglomerations together. St. Louis would not be over 3 million if measured by statscan.
I don’t think they are really similar in the least bit, even if statcan measured differently, St Louis would still have more than double the population. I do agree that downtown Winnipeg is comparable, however, St Louis still probably has a larger overall core, just because of the size difference. Also, St Louis architecturally and form is far different from Winnipeg. Sure both have plenty of early 1900s buildings, but St Louis is going to have a lot more 1800s architecture. Also, a good portion of St. Louis is 2nd empire brick, something I’m not sure Winnipeg has ANY of.

I will say, that just due to the overall livability gap due to the massive amounts of decay and crime in St. Louis, Winnipeg is the better city on that level, however the comparison is still a bit odd. I’d say something like Milwaukee and Winnipeg would be a more just-comparasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City