Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 07:46 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That is very true. That fast paced sort quick wit NY attitude is often mistaken for rude or mean, when its just the way people are, but doesn't mean they aren't polite or courteous.
And if you have a nice face in NY everybody helps you LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 11:57 AM

330 posts, read 293,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
And if you have a nice face in NY everybody helps you LOL.
Not sure if this is true. One difference I have noticed between people in NYC vs my home city LA is that NYers are a bit less judgmental and they tend to give things the ways as they are. They have some kind of “I have seen it all/nothing surprises me” attitude. The variety of people you see in NYC are just beyond astonishing. Even within just one block of the street, you can bump into a random banker working on Wall Street, a fashion model working for a top fashion agency in the city, an immigrant from anther country who never bothers to learn English during his lifetime or a street musician who will have a random performance at the Times Square 42nd St MTA station. There are just so much variety packed into such a compacted city and as a result NYers have developed this “Yes, we can live together” mentality. Whereas in LA, people tend to silently judge more.

With regard to getting help from the strangers, I think here is the difference: In NYC, people take their time way more seriously, they would help you and then quickly move on to do their things. Whereas in LA, people tend to help you but at the same time have some pleasantry exchanges with you. I’m not sure if this difference contributes to people thinking NYers as rude when they are really not, they are just always in a hurry.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 12-24-2020 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 11:28 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,625 times
Idk hard to say. Florida has a lot of transplants which definitely has ruffled local feathers. PA has Philadelphia which is notorious for having a somewhat "tough guy" reputation.

I'm sure both states have friendly and unfriendly people and areas. Hard to compare a subjective criteria such as friendliness, unless its blatantly obvious. Probably depends on where you are in both states. Philadelphia versus the Panhandle - obviously the Panhandle is more friendly/more likely to chit-chat to strangers. Miami versus central/western PA, most likely central/western PA. Though I think Florida still gets some of the Southern hospitality that does not have an analog per se in PA.

So, Idk, I'd probably lean towards Florida given it is the south. Idk though.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:53 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
I would say Pennsylvania has a stronger sense of community overall.

Pennsylvania has more walkable communities which encourages more of a tight knit community of being polite.

Now, Pennsylvania is not South Carolina or Alabama where everyone is wishing you a good day. But overall people are fairly nice.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:22 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
I'd argue Florida. Neither are super nor awful in this regard.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:06 AM

393 posts, read 261,344 times
Probably Florida; Pennsylvania, especially the eastern part, is similar to New Jersey (rude and profane people there!).

Old 05-06-2021, 10:18 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Some friendly people in both Florida and Pennsylvania are more friendly than unfriendly people in both places. Likewise, rude and unfriendly people in both places are less friendly than friendly people in both places.

Likewise, one also speculates that unfriendly people in Fl. and Pa. get less friendly when they visit each other's domain. And if that is true, one might also speculate that friendly people from both places get less friendly when they switch locations.
It's unclear whether this applies to travel to other locations - or to other unspecified people travel between unspecified places.

Finally, one wonders if their is a minimum time or time constraint on how long a person must spend in Florida or Pennsylvania (or anywhere else) to be considered a Floridian, Pennsylvanian, or other -- and to take-on the stereotypical traits suggested in this thread.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:21 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Some friendly people in both Florida and Pennsylvania are more friendly than unfriendly people in both places. Likewise, rude and unfriendly people in both places are less friendly than friendly people in both places.

One also wonders if friendly people in Fl. and Pa. get less friendly when they visit each other's domain. And if that is true, one might also speculate that unfriendly people from both places get friendlier when they switch locations. It's unclear whether this applies to travel to other locations - or to other unspecified people travel between unspecified places.

Finally, one wonders if their is a minimum time or time constraint on how long a person must spend in Florida or Pennsylvania (or anywhere else) to be considered a Floridian, Pennsylvanian, or other -- and to take-on the stereotypical traits suggested by this thread title.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:35 AM

858 posts, read 680,594 times
What percentage of people in Florida are actually from Florida (born and raised) ?
I would bet it is fairly low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City