Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 09:45 PM

49 posts, read 46,562 times

Advertisements

I've lived in PA my entire life so I have no real index to go by. Spent some time in NC and there was certainly an overwhelming kindness I experienced. This is not to say that people in PA are rude, they're not - I've just got nothing to compare to.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 10:12 PM

955 posts, read 609,762 times
From my experience? Florida. Especially compare to the eastern half of PA.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:19 AM

811 posts, read 887,708 times
I find Pennsylvanians to be some of the rudest people I have had the displeasure to be around, right there with New Yorkers, so I’ll go with Florida. Lived in Florida and visited many times and outside Miami and SoFlo, people are generally friendly and pleasant.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:28 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
From my personal experiences, I have to say it's a tie. For me, FL is friendly with the exception of the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/West Palm Beach region. PA is friendly with the exception of the Philly metro area. I do like the Philly area in many ways, but their being friendly isn't one of them, lol.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:09 PM

49 posts, read 46,562 times
Thank you guys for the replies. I am actually from eastern PA so these replies have me laughing. When I said "They're not rude", I guess it's just because there's no real gauge to go by.

Curious to hear more responses.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:52 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
I grew up in suburban Philadelphia and lived in Philadelphia for a while. I've been to Florida probably 100 times in my life mostly for work sometimes for fun.

To start, this of course a generalization since both states are huge, but I would say people in Florida are probably a little warmer overall. Pennsylvania, especially the Eastern half (near Philadelphia) is part of the Northeast corridor. Its a little more rushed, quick, terse, etc. Not saying people are mean, but that slow-down southern friendliness attitude is not present. And the Philadelphia suburbs tend to be a little more snooty than the suburbs around Florida's big cities. But I find Philadelphia (city) and Miami (city) to be about the same, Philadelphians are much more blunt, (that doesn't make then rude though).

Rural PA and Western PA fall more in line with Florida, a little slower, more courteous, talkative, etc.

I've met some wonderful people in Pennsylvania and Florida, and I've had run-ins with some extremely rude people in both states, mostly Miami area. Overall I don't see a glaring difference, just an increased level of abruptness in Southeastern PA.

I will say out of the 46 states I've visited, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire are by far the friendliest, PA and FL are in the middle.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:33 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I grew up in suburban Philadelphia and lived in Philadelphia for a while. I've been to Florida probably 100 times in my life mostly for work sometimes for fun.

To start, this of course a generalization since both states are huge, but I would say people in Florida are probably a little warmer overall. Pennsylvania, especially the Eastern half (near Philadelphia) is part of the Northeast corridor. Its a little more rushed, quick, terse, etc. Not saying people are mean, but that slow-down southern friendliness attitude is not present. And the Philadelphia suburbs tend to be a little more snooty than the suburbs around Florida's big cities. But I find Philadelphia (city) and Miami (city) to be about the same, Philadelphians are much more blunt, (that doesn't make then rude though).

Rural PA and Western PA fall more in line with Florida, a little slower, more courteous, talkative, etc.

I've met some wonderful people in Pennsylvania and Florida, and I've had run-ins with some extremely rude people in both states, mostly Miami area. Overall I don't see a glaring difference, just an increased level of abruptness in Southeastern PA.

I will say out of the 46 states I've visited, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire are by far the friendliest, PA and FL are in the middle.
I think that's a very good overview. I think Pennsylvanians are generally seen as on the friendlier side compared to rest of the Northeast region (Northern New England can be hit or miss in my experience due to the preponderance of pretentious/entitled weekenders or second-homer types).

That being said, it's true that there's an underlying brashness or a predisposition for "attitude" with Pennsylvanians, which is common across the Northeast, especially when provoked. It's definitely more common in Eastern PA, but I've also come across "ornery" Western Pennsylvanians, as well.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:23 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Pennsylvania is friendlier based on my experience. Florida has a very transactional culture. People were rude, hateful, and not interested in getting to know others. Miami was full of hustlers, scam artists, etc. pretending to be something they are not.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:31 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times
I think people are the same everyplace you go and in general people are as nice to you as you are to them. Just because you reside in a certain state doesn’t mean you’re from there. For example if you’re in NYC and need directions, which train to take or other info people will go out of their way to help you, no different than any other place.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:25 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I think people are the same everyplace you go and in general people are as nice to you as you are to them. Just because you reside in a certain state doesn’t mean you’re from there. For example if you’re in NYC and need directions, which train to take or other info people will go out of their way to help you, no different than any other place.
That is very true. That fast paced sort quick wit NY attitude is often mistaken for rude or mean, when its just the way people are, but doesn't mean they aren't polite or courteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City