Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people friendlier in TX or TN ?
Texas 12 28.57%
Tennessee 30 71.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 06:56 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times

Advertisements

Nashville is very friendly from my experience. Memphis is the least friendly city I've lived in. I'm still trying to figure out why.

Dallas is luke warm. Houston didn't seem very friendly at all. San Antonio seemed very friendly.

I don't know if making a broad generalization about a state is good. You have to break it down by city to what part of town you live in to your demographic going well with your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 11:02 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I’d say Tennessee.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:01 AM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Nashville is very friendly from my experience. Memphis is the least friendly city I've lived in. I'm still trying to figure out why.

Dallas is luke warm. Houston didn't seem very friendly at all. San Antonio seemed very friendly.

I don't know if making a broad generalization about a state is good. You have to break it down by city to what part of town you live in to your demographic going well with your area.
I'm genuinely surprised you'd say Memphis is unfriendly (I guess you didn't, but still shocked!). I've never heard this from anyone- and it has been the friendliest city I've lived in, hah. Nashville is nice, but I think it falls flat compared to Memphis or Chatt. Usually folks state that Memphis is poor and crime-ridden (both true to a certain extent, but not nearly as bad as folks would make you believe).
Obviously, this will be different depending on the person and their experiences, not saying you are wrong at all, just surprised.
I agree with you entirely on the Texas cities.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:41 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
How does One Measure or Quantify Friendliness?

The Number of People who Hold the door open for you at Starbucks??

The Number of People who smile at you at Wal Mart? . What if a couple of people don't smile, Is that State Not Friendly?

The Number of Random people who speak to you at the Gas Station when you speak to them first?

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 12-22-2020 at 07:50 AM..

Old 12-22-2020, 08:01 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
A little surprised that some are struggling with gauging "friendliness". This thread (and no other C-D threads on any subject) isn't a strictly controlled analysis study of each state. It's based on each individual's personal take on an area and personal experiences themselves. Then giving a general idea of what that personal opinion is. So, yes, one can gauge how friendly an area is GENERALLY over a given period of time if they have reasonable expectations.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:36 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
On my visits to Dallas, Houston, El Paso and Austin I've neverhad any issues with the locals. They were very nice and went out of their way to strike up a conversation or say hello. I had the same experience in Nashville... so I guess its a tie for me although my time in TN was more limited.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:24 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
A state IMO thats underrated in friendliness is Kentucky. I've never met such friendly people as I've met there.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:17 PM

406 posts, read 340,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

I've lived in the Dallas area for almost 3 years now and it is extremely unfriendly, especially due to all the Indians, Muslims and Chinese that have taken over the region. The nicest, friendliest man I've met after I moved here was from Tennessee (He was from a small town outside of Nashville) who worked for an auto insurance company. He came to assess the damage on my car after a hail storm sometime in April 2018.
The nicest Texan I've met was a Christian man from San Marcos, TX who owns a coffee shop I used to go to in Frisco, TX near my work.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
I've lived in the Dallas area for almost 3 years now and it is extremely unfriendly, especially due to all the Indians, Muslims and Chinese that have taken over the region.
Maybe they seem unfriendly to you because you don't put out welcoming vibes to them and they easily sense you don't care for them. Have you ever thought about that?

Old 12-22-2020, 08:47 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
I've lived in the Dallas area for almost 3 years now and it is extremely unfriendly, especially due to all the Indians, Muslims and Chinese that have taken over the region. The nicest, friendliest man I've met after I moved here was from Tennessee (He was from a small town outside of Nashville) who worked for an auto insurance company. He came to assess the damage on my car after a hail storm sometime in April 2018.
The nicest Texan I've met was a Christian man from San Marcos, TX who owns a coffee shop I used to go to in Frisco, TX near my work.
So many labels in one post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City