Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which NE City would work best for middle class black Family?
New York City 49 14.37%
Philadelphia 176 51.61%
Boston 36 10.56%
Providence 10 2.93%
Harrisburg 11 3.23%
Newark 21 6.16%
Wilmington 20 5.87%
Jersey City 18 5.28%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 01:38 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times

Advertisements

I think one of the things behind why people think there's not a black middle class in Boston is the "median net worth of $8" thing. But...

$8: The Complicated Story Behind One Of The Most Repeated Statistics About Boston
Two years later, the $8 number went viral after it was reported in the Boston Globe's series on racism in the city — even catching the attention of the Daily Show.

And this year, it's become a key talking point in the Boston mayoral election. Nearly every major mayoral candidate regularly cites the study as evidence of systemic racism. And it featured prominently in Boston acting mayor Kim Janey's campaign video.

But a closer look at the Fed study shows the net worth of Black families in Greater Boston is more nuanced.

For one, it wasn’t based on all Black households — but specifically non-immigrant Black families. The same study also looked at several other ethnic groups and found Black Caribbean families had a median net worth of $12,000 — a number that is possible within the margin of error of both groups.

Another caveat is the relatively small sample size. Researchers only surveyed 71 U.S. Black families. That means the $8 dollar estimate could actually be thousands of dollars higher —or lower.

[It also avoids the fact that many black families are both US Black and Caribbean black or African black).

It also cited data used from 2006-2010 (can anyone guess what was going on then?)

So because of these glaring flaws the Boston Fed and partners are doing the study again with a larger sample size and not in the midst of the great recession

The $8 figure that shamed Boston gets an update

Podcast interview: Boston Fed and partners re-examining wealth divides in the region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 01:47 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Right so like I said its on par with NYC and DC. It actually has a higher median income than DC itself. Its also the metro with the 2nd highest Black Median Housheold income after DC at elats it was accoridng to Brooking in 2018.

No not only is the MA SJC Chief Justice Balck, the AG to be Andrea Campbell is (she won the Dem. Primary), the Suffolk DA is too, and the head of the Boston Foundation, Simmons College, and Boston Childrens Hospital are also all black.. as is the head of the Boston Police and the Chief Economic Development officer

Looking at middle-class jobs- often city jobs. 31.3% of all people employed by the City of Boston are Black. as are 21.2% of those making over 100,000 per year.

https://www.boston.gov/departments/d...hics-dashboard

13/34 of people in the mayor's cabinet are black.

Got to most black neighborhoods in Boston and they give off a lower middle-class urban vibe. That's the dominant vibe. And then in the suburbs (where most back in the area live) its definitly mostly middle-class blacks. Also its home to the largest black-owned bank in the nation.

It's honestly a total mystery to me why people say Boston doesn't have a black middle class. You can literally walk around and see that is not true. I’m aware people don’t know much about us but that perception seems at odds with how people say the city is so neurotic educated and safe even in bad areas. They’ll even oversell that but then turn around and say it’s only ghetto in black areas? But then bemoan the price? I just don’t get it.
I actually like Boston. So, you're preaching to the choir.

I honestly think it has to do with how media drives select places for black people, when there are plenty of places out there in all regions that have good metrics in regards to their black population. Even the cities I added later to the post before this one, a couple of those cities are either predominantly black(Mount Vernon) or pluralistically more black than anything else(Brockton). So, I think it really just comes down to education/exposure.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I actually like Boston. So, you're preaching to the choir.

I honestly think it has to do with how media drives select places for black people, when there are plenty of places out there in all regions that have good metrics in regards to their black population. Even the cities I added later to the post before this one, a couple of those cities are either predominantly black(Mount Vernon) or pluralistically more black than anything else(Brockton). So, I think it really just comes down to education/exposure.

This isn't even about liking Boston though... its just about ignorance of what it is, really. You can say it's segregated or inhospitable or whatever but the basic idea that it lacks a substantial black middle class is just flat-out wrong. (I did forget to mention the US Attorney for Massachusetts is also black. So the Attorney General, US Attorney, Suffolk DA, and BPD police commissioner all blackk. 3/4 Black American)

Not only does that not pass the eye test at all, it doesnt pass the objective data test.

BTW
I read that all the people who checked Cape Verdean got their race moved to "some other race" without their knowledge.

https://www.boston.gov/news/mayor-wu...s-count-boston

In 2020, the Census reclassified the collection and processing of race and ethnicity data which led to large increases in the “some other race” and “two more races” categories independent of actual demographic or cultural changes.

respondents listing Brazilian or Cape Verdean origin were reassigned by the U.S. Census Bureau to the “some other race”

This makes sense because Brockton went from 50.9% non-Hispanic black in 2019-1-year ACS to 35.0% in the 2020 Census with 17% mixed race. Simple math would indicate...

Esp considering it was less than 5% mixed race in 2010.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:31 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
This isn't even about liking Boston though... its just about ignorance of what it is, really. You can say it's segregated or inhospitable or whatever but the basic idea that it lacks a substantial black middle class is just flat-out wrong. (I did forget to mention the US Attorney for Massachusetts is also black. So the Attorney General, US Attorney, Suffolk DA, and BPD police commissioner all blackk. 3/4 Black American)

Not only does that not pass the eye test at all, it doesnt pass the objective data test.

BTW
I read that all the people who checked Cape Verdean got their race moved to "some other race" without their knowledge.

In 2020, the Census reclassified the collection and processing of race and ethnicity data which led to large increases in the “some other race” and “two more races” categories independent of actual demographic or cultural changes.

respondents listing Brazilian or Cape Verdean origin were reassigned by the U.S. Census Bureau to the “some other race”

This makes sense because Brockton went from 50.9% non-Hispanic black in 2019-1-year ACS to 35.0% in the 2020 Census with 17% mixed race. Simple math would indicate...

Yeah, I think that a lot of cities undercounted their black population or as the press release stated, were assigned to "some other race", given the big jump in that category. https://www.npr.org/2022/03/10/10837...t-data-quality

Old 09-13-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I think that a lot of cities undercounted their black population or as the press release stated, were assigned to "some other race", given the big jump in that category. https://www.npr.org/2022/03/10/10837...t-data-quality
No doubt about it. No doubt. It was just a total bush league useless Census as we all knew it would be.

It's especially acute in Boston though precisely has one of the very largest per capita concentrations of Latino Blacks and Cape Verdeans. Quite Frankly? the United States census isn't designed for that.

But the city did log a 10k increase in Black including mixed race and latino. It's just still significantly below where I think it really is- especially statewide and in places on the South Coast near Providence and Afro-Latino areas like Lawrence.

Cape Verdean isnt a race and their ancestry isn't that complicated they're about 60% Sengalese/another windward coast Black Africans and 40% Portuguese/Iberian. It's not an obscure mix we dont know. ITs prety simple- theyre mixed race but predominately black. And the rane is from about 53-66% balck on any given island. Theyve long identified as African American at this point

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 09-13-2022 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-13-2022, 03:23 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,424,599 times
Quote:
Right so like I said its on par with NYC and DC. It actually has a higher median income than DC itself. Its also the metro with the 2nd highest Black Median Housheold income after DC at elats it was accoridng to Brooking in 2018.

No not only is the MA SJC Chief Justice Balck, the AG to be Andrea Campbell is (she won the Dem. Primary), the Suffolk DA is too, and the head of the Boston Foundation, Simmons College, and Boston Childrens Hospital are also all black.. as is the head of the Boston Police and the Chief Economic Development officer

Looking at middle-class jobs- often city jobs. 31.3% of all people employed by the City of Boston are Black. as are 21.2% of those making over 100,000 per year.

https://www.boston.gov/departments/d...hics-dashboard

13/34 of people in the mayor's cabinet are black.

Got to most black neighborhoods in Boston and they give off a lower middle-class urban vibe. That's the dominant vibe with stand alone two family homes, some triple deckers and some SFHs. Some decent parks and clean streets. And then in the suburbs (where most back in the area live) its definitly mostly middle-class blacks. Also its home to the largest black-owned bank in the nation. They also outperform black student in every city and state mentioned here. That’s on an elementary high school and post secondary level.

It's honestly a total mystery to me why people say Boston doesn't have a black middle class. You can literally walk around and see that is not true. I’m aware people don’t know much about us but that perception seems at odds with how people say the city is so neurotic educated and safe even in bad areas. They’ll even oversell that but then turn around and say it’s only ghetto in black areas? But then bemoan the price? I just don’t get it.

As discussed ad nauseum, Boston and its black population don't have good/positive media depictions. Most people outside of New England/Northeast honestly know very little about Boston and even black people know little about Black Boston. As I'm sure you experienced.

I also initially thought Boston's black population wasn't doing well because of my personal experiences with family up there.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post

As discussed ad nauseum, Boston and its black population don't have good/positive media depictions. Most people outside of New England/Northeast honestly know very little about Boston and even black people know little about Black Boston. As I'm sure you experienced.

I also initially thought Boston's black population wasn't doing because of my personal experiences with family up there.
Yea it’s been discussed ad nauseam but that doesn’t make it any less wrong. Or just factually inaccurate. Again I can cite sources all day long on to what extent that it’s wrong. When I see it, I offer the corrections- I’m obligated to. Such is my life.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:

BTW

That's actually wild that they unilaterally assigned CVs and Brazilians to some other race.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Yea it’s been discussed ad nauseam but that doesn’t make it any less wrong. Or just factually inaccurate. Again I can cite sources all day long on to what extent that it’s wrong. When I see it, I offer the corrections- I’m obligated to. Such is my life.
and frankly, the fact that Black Boston is dominated (or perceived to be dominated) by Caribbean and African origin people cuts against it. I've even seen people discount the blackness of places like NYC, DC, and Miami for these reasons.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Highest Median Black income of any metro after DC
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...united-states/

Report: Massachusetts Leads Nation In Serving Black College Students

^study by two black men at USC. FOund balckw ere overrpresented at state school in MA and had the higest graduation rate of any state, and entered colllege best prepared.

Its....like for people to get on here and declare it doesnt have a black middle class. Thats absolutely insane to me. Honestly...putting it in a bin with Harrisburg or Providence in that regard is truly wild.

It reminds me of some thread on surprising black populations someone (not me) said Boston and then some quoted it like most of the blacks in the Boston area live in Boston. Wasnt true. Easily identifiable that that was not true, mathematically false and not really close to true.. Never mind that a deflection away from Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City