Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which NE City would work best for middle class black Family?
New York City 49 14.37%
Philadelphia 176 51.61%
Boston 36 10.56%
Providence 10 2.93%
Harrisburg 11 3.23%
Newark 21 6.16%
Wilmington 20 5.87%
Jersey City 18 5.28%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 04:05 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Also not surprising she's descended from family in VA and NC-just like me.
interesting. By any chance, Norfolk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 04:31 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,120,516 times
Quote:
Also not surprising she's descended from family in VA and NC-just like me.
I’m convinced 99% African Americans in the north east have an aunt, uncle or grandparents in or from the Carolinas or VA lol.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:09 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
And Georgia. Nearly everyone AA I knew growing up in Jersey (North and Central) had roots in Georgia.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:02 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
And Georgia. Nearly everyone AA I knew growing up in Jersey (North and Central) had roots in Georgia.
My Aunt (mom's half-sister) moved from North Carolina to Atlanta in the late 1980s. I haven't been down since 2006 though.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
interesting. By any chance, Norfolk?
Almost. My paternal grandmother's family had been slaves in Gloucester County and King and Queen County for Virginia for probably over 100 years. Just north of the Roads. They lived in rural Virginia until the early 1990s in that same area. My grandmother had left for New Jersey around 1940. THere she met my grandfather who was one of the relatively few black people born in Trenton, NJ in the 1920s

My grandmother on my mom's side is either 100% west African or close to it according to 23 and me. She and two of her kids are extremely dark-skinned so I believe it. That side of the family is Geechee and lived on the sea islands of South Carolin after slavery before moving to Florence so one of my male ancestors could work on the railroad.

South Carolina was dangerous and they moved a few dozen miles north to Wilmington North Carolina like many Geechees did and then began migrating to Boston (Orchard Park Projects) in the late 1950s. My grandmother was born in Florence SC though and still cooks the coastal sea-island style and keeps woven rice baskets and other stuff like that..

Old 09-09-2021, 08:43 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I’m convinced 99% African Americans in the north east have an aunt, uncle or grandparents in or from the Carolinas or VA lol.
My mother is originally from SC(Mullins) and with family in nearby parts of NC(Fairmont and Lumberton). So, a lot of black people in the Northeast have roots in the Carolinas.

Ironically, like BBM my mom had an aunt that lived in Trenton that she looked just like. A lot of people from the area of SC she is from went to NJ, but quite few went to Upstate NY. For instance, the current mayor of Rochester, I found out her mother was from Kingstree. This former Buffalo city judge, who is Mary McLeod Bethune’s nephew was born and raised in Utica: https://www.uncrownedcommunitybuilde...n/james-mcleod In fact a former poster on here, her parents were from Andrews, which is the hometown of Chubby Checker and Chris Rock and had a lot of family in Rochester.

Florida is another one due to the migrant farm workers. Belle Glade and Pahokee are a couple places down there that may come up around Utica, the East End of Long Island and in the Finger Lakes areas of NY. Some from places in Central FL like Titusville, Ocala, Kissimmee, Osceola, Sanford, Apopka, etc.

Parts of AL come up quite a bit as well. In the Syracuse area, a lot of people with roots in the Auburn-Opelika/SE AL area for instance. Some from the Mobile area too.

Plenty of GA as well.

Some western TN/MS slips in further west in the Northeast. For instance, Aretha Franklin’s family actually went to Buffalo first then moved to Detroit. Her mother is actually buried there.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:05 AM

A lot of African Americans in Boston have family in Alabama too and I don't know why, but it's a higher than expected portion. I don't get it. Mississippi is a lot more rare but I was friends with a girl who's grandparents lived in Tunica, MS.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:35 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
A lot of African Americans in Boston have family in Alabama too and I don't know why, but it's a higher than expected portion. I don't get it. Mississippi is a lot more rare but I was friends with a girl who's grandparents lived in Tunica, MS.
I think AL and MS are the 2 states that show up more than expected in terms of African Americans in the Northeast.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Almost. My paternal grandmother's family had been slaves in Gloucester County and King and Queen County for Virginia for probably over 100 years. Just north of the Roads. They lived in rural Virginia until the early 1990s in that same area. My grandmother had left for New Jersey around 1940. THere she met my grandfather who was one of the relatively few black people born in Trenton, NJ in the 1920s

My grandmother on my mom's side is either 100% west African or close to it according to 23 and me. She and two of her kids are extremely dark-skinned so I believe it. That side of the family is Geechee and lived on the sea islands of South Carolin after slavery before moving to Florence so one of my male ancestors could work on the railroad.

South Carolina was dangerous and they moved a few dozen miles north to Wilmington North Carolina like many Geechees did and then began migrating to Boston (Orchard Park Projects) in the late 1950s. My grandmother was born in Florence SC though and still cooks the coastal sea-island style and keeps woven rice baskets and other stuff like that..
my s/o has family in Florence and Myrtle Beach and her roots are from SC/GA/AL. People from VA seem to have mostly moved to DC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, and Boston.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think AL and MS are the 2 states that show up more than expected in terms of African Americans in the Northeast.
for NJ, I've definitely met people with Alabama roots, so I think you're correct. We also colloquially like to call South Jersey, "Alabama" lol for perceived "countryness". I wonder if that's at all connected considering the long standing black population in South Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City