Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better place to live?
Palm Springs 29 70.73%
Galveston 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 12:45 AM

946 posts, read 566,069 times

Advertisements

Note we are NOT including the Houston metro for Galveston.

Which city is better? We are comparing

Economy
Weather
COL
Entertainment/things to do
Nightlife
Food

And which city has a brighter future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 01:49 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I prefer Galveston although i like Palm Springs climate better.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:03 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,103 times
Economy- Palm Springs. They're both tourist based, Palm Springs is more upscale. Still, there are plenty of blue collar areas in the Coachella Valley. Galveston has some health care and some financial services, but the tourist infrastructure is aimed towards the lower end of the market.

Weather- They both have awful summers. Palm Springs is ungodly hot, but dry. Galveston is probably the most humid place I've ever lived. There are many days in summer where the heat index never drops below 90F, even in the middle of the night. Palm Springs has better winter weather, Galveston tends to be cool, cloudy, and rainy in winter. Spring and Fall can have really nice days in both.

COL - Galveston- Galveston houses are cheaper, but if you want to live next to the beach or in an old Victorian, it will cost you.

Entertainment/things to do- For me this is a push, but Palm Springs is know for swimming pools, hiking, the mountain gondola, tennis, and golf. Galveston has beaches (although not super pretty ones), historic architecture, and dive bars.

Nightlife- Galveston- That place must have more bars per capita than most cities. A lot are pretty seedy. They are completely dead outside of Mardi Gras during the winter. I still give bonus points to Palm Springs for the Octogenarians that were ballroom dancing in the lounge of a hotel I stayed at, but the nightlifethere seems pretty mellow. They gay scene in Palm Springs would probably be better. I found Galveston more fun.

Food- Push- Palm Springs has more upscale food, Galveston has some really good hole in the walls for Cajun, Tex-Mex, and Gulf Seafood.

Brighter Future- I don't think either have a particularly bright future. Heat waves and water issues may be a problem for Palm Springs, sea level rise and more frequent Hurricanes are not great for Galveston. There are plenty of people who will still like both, but I don't see either having tons of growth.

Overall- Palm Springs 2, Galveston 2, so I guess they're pretty close in my book.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:35 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Palm Springs.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:19 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Went to Modernism Week in Palm Springs last February. Lots of Mid Century Modern architecture in Palm Springs. Great downtown with art galleries, restaurants and shops.

Frank Sinatra's Twin Palms home.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:33 AM

6,737 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Palm Springs is amazing, and particularly impressive in parts with the mountain backdrop.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:15 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Yeaaaaaaaaa I’m going with Palm Springs. Galveston is great but it’s not Palm Springs great.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:44 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,267,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Weather- Palm Springs has better winter weather, Galveston tends to be cool, cloudy, and rainy in winter.
Galveston's winter are more "bipolar," as locals would like to say - with the lack of consistency, you have more of the mixture of nice sunny days and cooler, cloudy/rainy days in winter as compared to the more solid mild sunny winter of Palm Springs. Also extends to a year-by-year scale, especially with phenomena like El Nino/La Nina. The cold fronts that pass through Galveston artificially "inflate" the amount of cloudy/rainy winter days (as with other parts of the Southern US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I’m going with Palm Springs. Galveston is great but it’s not Palm Springs great.
Tillman Fertitta ruins everything he touches, man. Just look what he did with those white tigers, and the Rockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Went to Modernism Week in Palm Springs last February. Lots of Mid Century Modern architecture in Palm Springs. Great downtown with art galleries, restaurants and shops.

Frank Sinatra's Twin Palms home.
Great pics

Old 01-07-2021, 07:55 AM

842 posts, read 826,417 times
I would prefer Palm Springs for its scenic beauty. Galveston does look kind of cool, like a sliver of New Orleans directly on the beach. But its beaches are pretty meh compared to what we are used to visiting along the Alabama and NW Florida coastlines, so they're not that much of a selling point.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Galveston's winter are more "bipolar," as locals would like to say - with the lack of consistency, you have more of the mixture of nice sunny days and cooler, cloudy/rainy days in winter as compared to the more solid mild sunny winter of Palm Springs. Also extends to a year-by-year scale, especially with phenomena like El Nino/La Nina. The cold fronts that pass through Galveston artificially "inflate" the amount of cloudy/rainy winter days (as with other parts of the Southern US).
I'm not saying there are no sunny days in winter, but there is a bit of a coastal microclimate in Galveston that makes it cloudy in winter even when 5-10 miles inland it is sunny. I remember a period of almost 3 weeks in a row where I didn't see the sun. I was talking to some family in Houston talking about how depressing the weather had been, and they were like, "What are you talking about, it's been sunny most days in Houston." Sure enough, when I drove up to visit them, the clouds broke around Dickinson, but were still in Galveston when I went home in the afternoon. Very few Mardi Gras seem to happen in Galveston where it isn't either rainy or overcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City