Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 09:46 PM

474 posts, read 532,690 times

Advertisements

Detroit being the undisputed automotive capital of the US, what cities would you rank 2nd and 3rd? Some criteria to consider:
  • Major headquarters
  • Name recognition of companies based in that city
  • Historical and current car manufacturing
  • A “Motor Row” or similar type district
  • Widespread car usage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 10:00 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,864,584 times
Widespread car usage describes the whole country.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:08 PM

403 posts, read 297,458 times
I can only name Detroit as #1.

Flint would be #2, even though it is fairly close to Detroit.

And then for me, Ohio stands out in general, but no where specifically.

South Carolina also stands out, but again I have no idea where the production facilities are located within the two above states.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:33 PM

515 posts, read 254,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
I can only name Detroit as #1.

Flint would be #2, even though it is fairly close to Detroit.

And then for me, Ohio stands out in general, but no where specifically.

South Carolina also stands out, but again I have no idea where the production facilities are located within the two above states.
Ohio would be because of Youngstown and maybe Akron-Canton to a lesser extent. South Carolina is generally concentrated in the Upstate (large BMW plant just off of I-85 between Greenville and Spartanburg) with BMW and Michelin. I believe Charleston also might have some auto industry significance. But I agree Flint is definitely #2.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:37 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,725,167 times
No major city in the US is remotely comparable in scale to Detroit and its automotive ecosystem.

I know people aren't necessarily thrilled about this comparisons, but Detroit is to Automotive like:

*Houston is to Oil/Gas
*DC is to the federal government
*Las Vegas is to Gambling

That said, it depends on what facets of automotive manufacturing you're looking at to determine what areas have a modest industry presence.

Dallas (Toyota), Nashville (Nissan) and Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz) all are home to HQs for foreign automakers that employ tens of thousands of back office workers. Then of course, Austin has becoming the effective IT hub for companies like GM and Tesla.

In terms of the actual manufacturing:

*Kansas City is home to massive assembly plants for both GM and Ford

*Louisville is home to 2 massive Ford plants

*Dallas is home to GM's largest truck plant

*Chattanooga is home to Volkswagen's US plant

*Greenville-Spartanburg is home to BMV's US plant

*Nashville is home to a large Nissan plant

The other brands, however, have their plants scattered about in small town or rural AL/MS, to take advantage of not only the generous tax incentives they offered and their right-to-work laws, but also their desperate & destitute workforce since there are no other companies/plants there competing with them.

These manufacturing plants can employ anywhere from several hundred to several thousand workers. The vast majority of them are blue collar laborers performing manual tasks, but there's usually a relatively small staff of salaried workers on site to support with the daily operations.

Now, the way the supply chain works in automotive is since they operate on a JIT (Just In Time) model to ensure inventory isn't taking up otherwise valuable space or going to waste, Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers (I.E. Magna, Lear, Faurecia, Lear, etc.) contracted to support the OEMs will build smaller scale facilities near these manufacturing plants that will also hire several hundred people so that there's minimal disruption in the delivery of parts.

I should also mention though, most of the foreign OEMs have their engineering & tech centers (where the actual R&D takes place) in Detroit.

Last edited by citidata18; 01-09-2021 at 11:57 PM..

Old 01-09-2021, 11:41 PM

403 posts, read 297,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
No major city in the US is remotely comparable in scale to Detroit and its automotive ecosystem.

I know people aren't necessarily thrilled about this comparisons, but Detroit is to Automotive like:

*Houston is to Oil/Gas
*DC is to the federal government
*Las Vegas is to Gambling

That said, it depends on what facets of automotive manufacturing you're looking at to determine what areas have a modest industry presence.

Dallas (Toyota), Nashville (Nissan) and Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz) all are home to HQs for foreign automakers that employ tens of thousands of engineers,and other back office support. Then of course, Austin has becoming the effective IT hub for companies like GM and Tesla.

In terms of the actual manufacturing:

*Kansas City is home to massive assembly plants for both GM and Ford

*Louisville is home to 2 massive Ford plants

*Dallas is home to GM's largest truck plant

*Chattanooga is home to Volkswagen's US plant

*Greenville-Spartanburg is home to BMV's US plant

*Nashville is home to a large Nissan plant

The other branda, however, they plants scattered about in small town or rural AL/MS, to take advantage of not only the generous tax incentives they offered and their right-to-work laws, but also their desperate & destitute workforce since there are no other companies/plants there competing with them.
You are pretty spot on.

Interestingly enough though.

VW North America HQ is in DC.

Subaru North America HQ is in Philadelphia.

No major manufacturing facilities are in either.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
You are pretty spot on.

Interestingly enough though.

VW North America HQ is in DC.

Subaru North America HQ is in Philadelphia.

No major manufacturing facilities are in either.
VW's HQ was originally in Detroit (near Chrysler's HQ), but I suspect the european executices likely wanted to be in a city that reminded them more of home, which I can see DC being a better fit.

In fact, Michigan was actually the runner-up for VW's plant. While Michigan's overall incentive package was more generous, VW again made the political move to settine in Tennessee instead.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:08 AM

I forgot about Honda.

They have several plants, but the flagship plants and HQ are in OH outside of Columbus.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:28 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,632,982 times
Indiana has some auto manufacturing going on.
Honda has a factory in Greensburg.
Subaru has a factory in Lafayette.
Toyota has factory in Princeton.
Those are all big plants and employ thousands of people.

There may be others in Indiana, but I can't say for sure because I just don't know.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:28 AM

36,666 posts, read 67,609,529 times
Many automakers have laboratories and R&D centers in the Bay Area, including Tesla Headquarters.
https://i.imgur.com/2yJ7BYE.png

SF is also the birthplace and HQ of ridesharing apps Uber and Lyft.

Last edited by JMT; 01-10-2021 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City