Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 10:37 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times

Advertisements

Atlanta 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 01:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
If I had no ties to Texas I'd probably pick Atlanta

Old 01-13-2021, 04:01 PM

828 posts, read 647,527 times
6 of one, half a dozen of the other. No preference. Some strong similarities and strong differences between the two cities.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:49 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
It’s funny how people bring up hurricanes, humidity, weather when you currently live in Miami! LOL

I think you would be fine in either city. Houston is definitely more diverse, and probably has more of the Latin flavor you are used to in Miami... but I would suspect both cities are open to your type of relationship.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:57 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
I would choose Atlanta to be safe. The city is nicer and scenery is there. You won't have to worry as much about hurricanes and flooding.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:30 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
It’s funny how people bring up hurricanes, humidity, weather when you currently live in Miami! LOL

I think you would be fine in either city. Houston is definitely more diverse, and probably has more of the Latin flavor you are used to in Miami... but I would suspect both cities are open to your type of relationship.
What’s with “probably”? Obviously Houston has more Latin flavor than Atlanta. That alone makes this go to Houston. That might be why OP said Houston is the likely winner

Old 01-14-2021, 07:32 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Both seem like good fits. You could also consider Dallas, maybe Austin if the right job is there as well (tho would be harder to buy property there).

I'd apply for jobs in all three and see if an opportunity ends up standing out.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:29 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Hi everyone.

My SO and I are considering a move, we are an early 30s, currently residing in Miami. Our main gripe with Miami is the cost of living compared to the wages, and lack of growth opportunities. Our combined salaries are around $125,000/year. I work in IT, Windows server admin and SQL, she works in clinical research. While a lot of people are really trying to push for the "next Silicon Valley" thing that has been circling around here in Miami, right now there isn't much and honestly I'd be surprised if anything ever came of it. I feel quite limited in my field here. Every job that I find that seems perfect for me is a significant pay cut. Offering like $47k/year for a sysadmin job that requires experience and intricate knowledge of certain systems seems ridiculous to me.

She feels the same way. Companies are making cuts due to COVID and removing benefits, raises, etc. We both kind of feel stuck. High rent, low wages.

We are currently paying $2200 for a 1bed/2bath apartment. We are looking to settle down permanently (or mostly permanent at least) somewhere in the next few years and buy a home. Here in Miami, for ~$300,000 you won't get a whole lot unless you're way out from downtown, looking at a 1hr+ commute. Even then, it's not going to be a nice place.

If it matters, we're a mixed couple, white and Hispanic. We both want somewhere that the cost of living is lower and where there are more career advancement opportunities. We're both in the middle politically, maybe slightly more to the left.

We are looking at Houston and Atlanta. I like walkable, dense cities but I understand neither of these fit that bill. Traffic is awful in Miami so we're used to that, not really a concern... anywhere is better than the Mad Max-esque shenanigans that we have going on here. We'd likely rent for a year or two before buying. Considering our situations, I'm just looking for some input. I do know that there is a good amount of IT work in Texas of all sorts, so that is a plus. Diversity is also something we both want, before COVID we were always out trying different foods from around the world.

Personally I think Houston fits better for all of this, but like I said I'd just like some further input.
Based off your occupation Atlanta might be the better fit since it's more of a tech hub than Houston is.

Houston does have a lower cost of living than Atlanta though and has improved in the tech sector. Houston also has a bigger Hispanic presence in the city if that matters. It's different than Miami though. Cultural representation among races in Houston is pretty leveled out compared to Atlanta. Atlanta is no slouch in diversity especially in Gwinnett county but it's culturally it leans more favorable Black and White when it comes to representation. Atlanta metro does have diversity though. Don't want to sell you short on the diversity they do have. You just definitely feel it and notice it more all throughout Houston.

For the price range of homes your looking at neither one will put you in a walkable neighborhood. Atlanta does have more walkable historic downtowns/town squares though where you could find a home in that suburb for that price range.

Atlanta and Houston have horrible traffic. Atlanta seems to have more congestion and Houston seems to have more accidents. Houston freeway system is better imo though. Easier to get around in Houston than Atlanta from my experience.

Atlanta does have the better weather and looks more attractive. I also think Atlanta has an advantage over Houston when it comes to location. Both are really good bang for your buck cities though. I'd say some of the best bang for your buck cities in the nation.

I also wouldn't sleep on DFW if I were you. A little more expensive than Houston but a more diverse economy and more tech presence in DFW. Also has better traffic than Houston and Atlanta. Not as diverse as Houston but more diverse than Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City