Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the projections?
Yes 25 34.25%
No 48 65.75%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 07:45 PM

9,424 posts, read 9,424,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
This is for Metro Pop

1) NYC
2) LA
3) CHI
4) DC
5) Bay (SF/SJ/OAK)
6) DAL
7) MIA
8) ATL
9) HOU
10) PHL
11) PHX
12) BOS
13) SEA
14) DEN
15) SD
DC at #4? No way its ahead of Dallas and likely some others too, but Dallas is a given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 08:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,246,512 times
By 2046, a lot of these MSA boundaries will be different. If we go by boundaries then, it's a crap shoot in many ways.
Some are likely not to change much like Miami, because there just isn't anywhere to go. Other places like Atlanta can continue to expand.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:25 AM

20,534 posts, read 33,662,562 times
Quote:
This is for Metro Pop

1) NYC
2) LA
3) CHI
4) DC
5) Bay (SF/SJ/OAK)
6) DAL
7) MIA
8) ATL
9) HOU
10) PHL
11) PHX
12) BOS
13) SEA
14) DEN
15) SD
Are you putting DC above Dallas because they may combine DC and Baltimore into one MSA? If so, I understand that. Still I think DFW will edge it out. I don’t think Miami or Atlanta will pass Houston.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:38 AM

12,241 posts, read 8,167,869 times
Quote:
This is for Metro Pop

1) NYC
2) LA
3) CHI
4) DC
5) Bay (SF/SJ/OAK)
6) DAL
7) MIA
8) ATL
9) HOU
10) PHL
11) PHX
12) BOS
13) SEA
14) DEN
15) SD
BOS will be adding about two/three counties by then. Reverse PHL and BOS and maybe.

Also, reverse CHI and DC.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:42 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,192 posts, read 7,651,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Are you putting DC above Dallas because they may combine DC and Baltimore into one MSA? If so, I understand that. Still I think DFW will edge it out. I don’t think Miami or Atlanta will pass Houston.
If DC and Baltimore combined MSA's by 2046, they would be 3rd anyway and pass Chicago. The CSA is already tied with it.

The DC MSA will poach, St Mary's County, MD, a few more in VA by then as well, which makes me very skeptical of these these numbers. By then Howard County will be in play as well. I'd say those estimates are well short of what might be to come.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:41 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,097,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
No one cares about that stuff.
99% is either metro have no idea what an MSA is and usually go with the idea that Houston is larger because they keep hearing the 4th largest city claim. There's tons that still believe that SA is larger than Dallas because most lay people keep hearing the city limit stats.

The rivalry thing is overblown on sites like CD and Dallas posters line to say is one sided but they keep bringing it up. In actuality both metros residents don't have a problem with the other and tend to visit the other
Well, I agree that most people don't know much about MSA's. I don't agree that the civic rivalry is one-way whatsoever. Institutions in both metros routinely throw shade at the other.

From my reading this morning: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-market-in-21/

An innocuous article about housing prices. Houston isn't on the list that is being referred to whatsoever. Yet, Houston is mentioned in this article, purely as a comparison to show something that Dallas is better at to the locals. For some who might say, "well its just because Houston is another Texas city", San Antonio isn't on the list either and isn't mentioned (Austin is #1). But of course, any opportunity for Dallas to be able to claim being better than Houston in something is ravenously taken, even if its awkward to add a mention of Houston to the conversation. This happens all of the time in DFW-based media and is reflected in the attitudes of many of the people on the ground in my experience (I used to live in Dallas).

The idea that there is some one-way rivalry is something that people in Dallas try to sell on one hand, while simultaneously participating in it on the other hand. The reality is that its definitely a two-way rivalry that may manifest itself in slightly different ways in Dallas and Houston, but is certainly there in both places and has been for a very long time.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:23 AM

1,755 posts, read 1,930,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago's MSA is losing more than twice as many white residents as black ones. Immigration is stagnant. The only bright spots are the slow trickle of Asian and Latinos. I guess people like you see the black population loss as a good thing though.

The reason blacks are leaving Chicago is that it'sis a terrible place for them to live. The segregation and income disparity are the worst of any major city in this country. So, don't worry, black people are going to keep departing to civilization for the foreseeable future.

Some of those projections look a little optimistic but I have no doubt that Dallas will surpass Chicago by 2046. Less than 2 million people separate these 2 areas now. Chicago's population loss is accelerating while Dallas is still coming on strong. It's just a matter of time.

I'm Black and I Love Chicago it has a Wow factor for me, But I admit it's only from a Visitor Perspective, I Sure hate to Hear it's bad to actually Live there. You are not the first to tell me this, I hear it first hand. In The South Tennessee Georgia and Texas, It would take more than my 10 fingers and toes the Number of Chicagoans I've met in Real Life who Moved to the South from Chicago and tell me how rough it is there and how they wouldn't move back and that the only thing they miss is the food. (Quick little short story, I met a Chicagoan in Memphis one year in February and they had on Shorts and Flip Flops. Everybody was looking at him crazy and said Ain't You Cold, He Said...This Ain't Cold)

As This Thread is Concerned Dallas and Houston surpassing Chicago is Inevitable, I think the article has that correct..But I'm not looking forward to it though, The People of Dallas are going to be on here bragging and thinking they're the better city. And I've been to Dallas I Have Family in Dallas....I Just hope the people in Texas don't conflate Bigger with being Better : )

Old 01-20-2021, 10:24 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,851,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Well, I agree that most people don't know much about MSA's. I don't agree that the civic rivalry is one-way whatsoever. Institutions in both metros routinely throw shade at the other.

From my reading this morning: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-market-in-21/

An innocuous article about housing prices. Houston isn't on the list that is being referred to whatsoever. Yet, Houston is mentioned in this article, purely as a comparison to show something that Dallas is better at to the locals. For some who might say, "well its just because Houston is another Texas city", San Antonio isn't on the list either and isn't mentioned (Austin is #1). But of course, any opportunity for Dallas to be able to claim being better than Houston in something is ravenously taken, even if its awkward to add a mention of Houston to the conversation. This happens all of the time in DFW-based media and is reflected in the attitudes of many of the people on the ground in my experience (I used to live in Dallas).

The idea that there is some one-way rivalry is something that people in Dallas try to sell on one hand, while simultaneously participating in it on the other hand. The reality is that its definitely a two-way rivalry that may manifest itself in slightly different ways in Dallas and Houston, but is certainly there in both places and has been for a very long time.
Yeah it is BS. Dallas snobbery.
I see articles from both cities comparing the two or claiming something over the other am the time.

But I have not heard residents of either discuss relative size as most are not familiar with MSA stats as we are on City Data.
I have heard of Dallas passing San Antonio and if SA being bigger than Dallas, but people look at me like I was dropped on my head as a kid when I talk of DFW being the biggest. I think they have heard talk of Houston being the biggest city so often and not much about metro areas. So that poster mentioning about size is weird because size isn't one of the issues I hear about when I'm in Texas. They argue over everything else tho. On both sides

Old 01-20-2021, 10:34 AM

9,729 posts, read 9,499,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontmc View Post
No, sorry, I don't agree with these. Looking at the estimates between 2015-2019 even the hottest metros' growth has slowed down a lot.

Houston
2.64% (2015) 1.29% (2019)

Dallas
2.22% (2015) 1.57% (2019)

Atlanta
1.66% (2015) 1.26% (2019)

The US as a whole will be stagnant in regards to population growth.
No way these could be accurate. I agree. Chicago is performing magic finding a way to grow while still hemorrhaging people.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:04 AM

848 posts, read 1,124,715 times
Using "metro" populations to determine "biggest" cities is bogus. How much of "metro Atlanta, GA" is an anit-urban wasteland? It's also twice the land area of Boston, Charlotte, heck, almost anywhere else. That doesn't make it a "city". Use Urban Area or actual city population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City