Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the projections?
Yes 25 34.25%
No 48 65.75%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 11:06 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,871,500 times

Advertisements

But Atlanta is still in the top 10 by UA.
The characters are still pretty much the same but UA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 11:13 AM

848 posts, read 1,126,472 times
Biggest "Cities" 2037

New York 9,036,621
Los Angeles 4,619,807
Chicago 2,853,246
Houston 2,752,097
Phoenix 2,427,526
San Antonio 2,103,483
Dallas 1,831,052
San Diego 1,787,970
Philadelphia 1,633,864
Austin 1,393,937
Fort Worth 1,367,005
Charlotte 1,335,773
Jacksonville 1,151,160
San Jose 1,087,961

Old 01-20-2021, 12:11 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,666,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Using "metro" populations to determine "biggest" cities is bogus. How much of "metro Atlanta, GA" is an anit-urban wasteland? It's also twice the land area of Boston, Charlotte, heck, almost anywhere else. That doesn't make it a "city". Use Urban Area or actual city population.
What is an anit-urban wasteland? I've never heard of that. Also, no one cares about MSA land area because commuting patterns determine MSA boundaries. Why can't people grasp that?

Old 01-20-2021, 12:16 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,381,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago's MSA is losing more than twice as many white residents as black ones. Immigration is stagnant. The only bright spots are the slow trickle of Asian and Latinos. I guess people like you see the black population loss as a good thing though.

The reason blacks are leaving Chicago is that it'sis a terrible place for them to live. The segregation and income disparity are the worst of any major city in this country. So, don't worry, black people are going to keep departing to civilization for the foreseeable future.

Some of those projections look a little optimistic but I have no doubt that Dallas will surpass Chicago by 2046. Less than 2 million people separate these 2 areas now. Chicago's population loss is accelerating while Dallas is still coming on strong. It's just a matter of time.
Don't assume anything. I was talking about the city, and it is a fact that the percentage of blacks is decreasing rapidly. I don't worry about blacks leaving, some of the finest people I know happen to be black. And yes, segregation is a bad thing, but does not change any of the facts. Chicago will continue to be the capital of the Midwest and a corporation center, and these projections cannot predict any change in circumstance in the future.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,243 posts, read 7,704,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
But Atlanta is still in the top 10 by UA.
The characters are still pretty much the same but UA
It's UA is quite literally the least dense of almost all major UA's calculated by the Census. Most UA's underrepresent, it's the opposite with Atlanta's.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:30 PM

9,815 posts, read 8,014,461 times
Quote:
Using "metro" populations to determine "biggest" cities is bogus. How much of "metro Atlanta, GA" is an anit-urban wasteland? It's also twice the land area of Boston, Charlotte, heck, almost anywhere else. That doesn't make it a "city". Use Urban Area or actual city population.
Take it up with the Feds, it's their baby - not Atlanta's. And I strongly disagree with your description of 'anti-urban wasteland.' If you want to get technical, I could describe portions of Mecklenburg County the same way.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,281,026 times
Quote:
I don't think that one can talk about Atlanta's metro being anti-urban wasteland when a lot of America's largest cities proper are also anti-urban wasteland relative to their populations.

I do agree with using Urban Areas, but even those aren't treated equally across the country.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 6,816,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Well, I agree that most people don't know much about MSA's. I don't agree that the civic rivalry is one-way whatsoever. Institutions in both metros routinely throw shade at the other.

From my reading this morning: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-market-in-21/

An innocuous article about housing prices. Houston isn't on the list that is being referred to whatsoever. Yet, Houston is mentioned in this article, purely as a comparison to show something that Dallas is better at to the locals. For some who might say, "well its just because Houston is another Texas city", San Antonio isn't on the list either and isn't mentioned (Austin is #1). But of course, any opportunity for Dallas to be able to claim being better than Houston in something is ravenously taken, even if its awkward to add a mention of Houston to the conversation. This happens all of the time in DFW-based media and is reflected in the attitudes of many of the people on the ground in my experience (I used to live in Dallas).

The idea that there is some one-way rivalry is something that people in Dallas try to sell on one hand, while simultaneously participating in it on the other hand. The reality is that its definitely a two-way rivalry that may manifest itself in slightly different ways in Dallas and Houston, but is certainly there in both places and has been for a very long time.
Don't forget the infamous... https://www.dallasobserver.com/music...ustons-7078085

The Houston Press actually did a response article that helped the Dallas Observer instead actually fight back lmao. Yeah that one sided claim is dumb.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:10 PM

848 posts, read 1,126,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's UA is quite literally the least dense of almost all major UA's calculated by the Census. Most UA's underrepresent, it's the opposite with Atlanta's.
You're joking, right? Atlanta, Georgia's Urban Area density is pitiful. Owensboro, KY, and Burlington, VT and about 100 other Urban Areas are denser. The Atlanta "urban area" is massive: the second largest in the US -- between New York and Chicago. The "density" of the Urban Area is 1706 per square mile.

The US Census Data in the link below is from 2016.

The sort feature is cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Old 01-20-2021, 11:19 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,666,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
This is for Metro Pop

1) NYC
2) LA
3) CHI
4) DC
5) Bay (SF/SJ/OAK)
6) DAL
7) MIA
8) ATL
9) HOU
10) PHL
11) PHX
12) BOS
13) SEA
14) DEN
15) SD
What commuting pattern change do you see happening for Washington to combine its MSA with Baltimore? Same question for the SF area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City