Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 11:45 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
It's because most of the people who move to California have higher incomes. California still has net in-migration for income >$100K (at least as of the most recent stat, pre-COVID) but has a huge net out migration of people who make <$40K per year.
Interesting. I've lived in California for almost 30 years and in the last 10 years I've noticed a significant uptick in middle income people leaving for all over, but especially for Texas. Lower income people around here often leave for Nevada.

25 years ago, most people didn't move or even think about moving out of state. I think that it's fair to say that most middle class people in the LA area have given it at least some thought. California is a very tough place to be middle class, especially if you have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 12:54 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,704,891 times
People continue to flee cold, high tax, liberal strong holds in favor of the opposite so long as the jobs are there too

Old 01-23-2021, 01:11 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,125,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Which is never.

Ppl want high paying jobs & an abundance of them. NYC is a hub for jobs on Wall Street, Fashion, Advertising (Madison Ave), Finance ... a slew of others. It’s expensive to live but there’s also a lot of $$ to be made & a lot of opportunity.

Thats why this area is desirable.
People always focus so much on housing costs, but the reality is that NYC can offer major savings in transportation costs.

In NYC metro, the average household spends 50% of their income on housing + transportation (36% housing, 15% transpo). In Charlotte metro, the average household spends 51% of their income on H+T (27% housing, 25% transportation).

Old 01-23-2021, 01:24 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
People always focus so much on housing costs, but the reality is that NYC can offer major savings in transportation costs.

In NYC metro, the average household spends 50% of their income on housing + transportation (36% housing, 15% transpo). In Charlotte metro, the average household spends 51% of their income on H+T (27% housing, 25% transportation).
Presumably one has a car in Charlotte and not one in NY?

Old 01-23-2021, 01:31 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Exactly. And while it isn't too bad to depend on the buses and trains in the City, Metro North, New Jersey Transit and the LIRR can be serious costs to deal with. Depending on where you live some of the fares are almost equal to car ownership...

I have friends in NY, and they're telling me hardly anyone feels safe on the subways right now unfortunately.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Thats what that previous poster is getting at & especially you save in NYC too if you walk as opposed to cabs or the subway. A lot of people do.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:33 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,125,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
People continue to flee cold, high tax, liberal strong holds in favor of the opposite so long as the jobs are there too
Seattle, DC, Boston, Denver, Minneapolis, Portland, etc. all seem to be doing quite well in terms of growth. SF, LA, Sacramento, and San Diego have all had growth at 8%+ in the past decade.

Also, let's not pretend that people are fleeing "liberal strongholds" to live in conservative places. Austin, Raleigh, Miami, Atlanta, etc. are pretty dang liberal.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Exactly. And while it isn't too bad to depend on the buses and trains in the City, Metro North, New Jersey Transit and the LIRR can be serious costs to deal with. Depending on where you live some of the fares are almost equal to car ownership...

I have friends in NY, and they're telling me hardly anyone feels safe on the subways right now unfortunately.
Yes LIRR is expensive but many ppl in Manhattan especially just walk everywhere & dont even bother with trains or cabs or buses. That expense would be $0

Old 01-23-2021, 01:39 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Thats what that previous poster is getting at & especially you save in NYC too if you walk as opposed to cabs or the subway. A lot of people do.
Certainly NYC is enticing to some. But it’s unfair to say Charlotte and NY are similarly priced. It’s not apples to apples. You are getting less in NY (house, car).

Old 01-23-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Certainly NYC is enticing to some. But it’s unfair to say Charlotte and NY are similarly priced. It’s not apples to apples. You are getting less in NY (house, car).
It depends how you define ‘less’.

I dont enjoy driving. I dont like that a lot of things in NC revolve around the church. I don’t like the weather in NC. Physical things like houses & cars don’t define the quality of life. Some ppl don’t want a car & see it as a hassle - so in that case their life is better without it.

I never said Charlotte & NYC are similar priced? & it’s asinine to think it so but different things appeal to different people. It doesn’t equate to less. There are ppl like myself who would rather live like a pauper in NYC than like a queen in Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City