Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 05:26 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkB View Post
Thanks for sharing! I'm super impressed with Montreal to be honest. I did meet with people from other cities this week, I'm meeting with some from Montreal later today and tomorrow I'll be meeting with others from SoCal. I'm still considering Albany as well as I'm starting to lean more towards the gaming industry especially with the pandemic, more people at home. So my final city shortlist is this really

(In): Montreal, Albany, L.A, Boston, Toronto (they have the infrastructure in place). So far I met with people from Boston, Toronto and NYC (which I moved to out). Montreal is today, Albany and L.A will be next week.
(out): NYC, S.F, Miami (either too expensive or in Miami's case, lack the talent)
(maybe): Atlanta but idk much about it. But it is a major city and I must do my due-diligence to explore my options.

With all the interviews so far though, it will make my decision harder since all are great cities.
Let me know how it goes! If you have any more questions just send me a message or post in the MTL forum. Is it the MTL International folks I referred you to or others in the business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
What is the OP's level of ambition? If you are just trying to bank a few million and retire early you can do that practically anywhere with just a handful of employees. If the app or service requires thousands of people and revenue needs to be in the hundreds of millions than yes a big tech city is beneficial. I'd pick Miami. They posted the BTC whitepaper on the city website.
Miami has little talent for what the OP is wanting though (either A.I or gaming startup) which I think they are inclined to go with gaming. Miami lacks that, and having a BTC whitepaper, something built on speculation and something that doesn't exist is not a smart move. Having a BTC whitepaper really does nothing much for the tech talent or for what OP is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 4,418 times
So after a hard and thorough thinking process over the past few weeks with colleagues and family members, I decided to take my talents to Montreal! I should be setting up there Q3/Q4 of this year. It was a hard toss up between Albany, Austin came in later and Montreal, but the scene in Montreal plus all the tech talent there and educated folks was too hard to pass up. Quality of life seems very high there and I got a really informative rundown not only from the forumers here but from organisations in Montreal as well. I'm really looking forward to joining such an established ecosystem there and with all the new offices opening up there, it pretty much sealed the deal. I've also got some of my American friends joining me and we will expand once we set up shop there. Money is secured and honestly the tax credits are amazing there which is great. Also electricity rates are so cheap there! The fact that it is about 7 cents a kilowatt is impressive. I do want to thank all the people here that have helped and gave sugestions for cities. Also really appreciate those from select cities that gave the time to talk to me and talk about what each city has to offer, that was a cool yet exhausting experience. But alas, Montreal is my future destination and I cannot describe how excited I am to join and that the hype is real, so I hope others that think about gaming/startups will consider the city since it has everything already and yeah.... just really excited and happy for this new opportunity

Old 02-28-2021, 10:50 AM

8,859 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Congratulations! Sounds like a good choice.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:03 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
Congrats!

Old 02-28-2021, 11:40 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Extremely envious of your move. Montreal is a fine city! One of the best on the continent. Wish you the best of luck!

Old 06-26-2021, 10:18 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiajames7 View Post
Let me list the cities according to Ease of doing business:
NYC
Boston
Los Angles
Miami
Seattle
OP has chosen and settled in Montreal recently. I've set them up with MTL International and I know they're working close with multiple stakeholders in the gaming industry in the city

Old 06-27-2021, 05:13 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
I'll echo Austin. It's cheaper than the coasts and is well thought of by the coasties. Lots of smart people there.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:03 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Montreal has a lot of advantages.

It has a very large student population with some excellent schools, the city is a mecca for the creative class, it is VERY affordable when compared with Toronto and especially Vancouver, it has a wonderful urban experience making attracting and retaining high skilled young workers much easier, and benefits from having the lowest Hydro rates in NA.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:12 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Montreal sounds wonderful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City