Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 11:41 AM

1,376 posts, read 927,370 times

Advertisements

Dallas is very similar to Atlanta. That being said I prefer Atlanta (weather, things to do, access to Korean cuisine/shops, etc.) The thing I would prefer in Dallas is the no state income tax versus 5.75% in Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 11:51 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Both places have a history of racism and segregation and are still segregated on a macro scale. Just like Atlanta has I-20 acting like a bit of a boundary line with wealthy white residents to the north, Dallas has I-30 acting a bit like a dividing line right at downtown. The area south of downtown Dallas has historically been poorer while the wealthy white residents lived to the north. Uptown Dallas is kinda like Atlanta's midtown. Highland Park and the other areas to the north are kinda like the residential side of Buckhead here in Atlanta. Tons of old money, multi million dollar homes, homes of wealthy pro athletes, etc. Suburban development is kinda similar in that the northern Atlanta burbs really took off. I don't wanna get into the northside v southside debate because there are plenty of good areas on the southside and I don't want it to seem like I'm not respecting them, but they generally aren't as well known or as popular.
But, in Dallas, it's like that to an extreme. Metro Atlanta still has a healthy southside even if development is more focused north of I-20. In Dallas the southside has barely developed it seems. If you take I-45 south of downtown you get out to the boonies in a hurry. Even I-35 and US-67 loses suburbia pretty quickly compared to 75 and 85 here. And there isn't really anything that compares to say Fayette County.
What about Cedar Hill? Best Southwest?

Old 02-15-2021, 12:29 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Native Minnesotan, now in Atlanta, with kids living in Austin and Dallas currently without power. Both locations get much hotter in the summer than Atlanta (say 105 in Texas and usually not over 95 in Atlanta). Much more scenic in Georgia with hills and trees than Dallas.

I prefer Atlanta over Dallas. Austin over Atlanta. They all beat New York! (where we moved from).
I've heard Austin has much higher housing costs than Dallas or Atlanta. Is that the case?

Old 02-15-2021, 12:35 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
This is interesting. I have only been to Texas once, so I'm enjoying reading about the differences. Any comment on how much history plays a role in the city's functioning today? How is diversity, what different groups live out there vs. ATL and which city is more integrated? Is there a "Dallas accent" like there is an Atlanta accent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Both places have a history of racism and segregation and are still segregated on a macro scale. Just like Atlanta has I-20 acting like a bit of a boundary line with wealthy white residents to the north, Dallas has I-30 acting a bit like a dividing line right at downtown. The area south of downtown Dallas has historically been poorer while the wealthy white residents lived to the north. Uptown Dallas is kinda like Atlanta's midtown. Highland Park and the other areas to the north are kinda like the residential side of Buckhead here in Atlanta. Tons of old money, multi million dollar homes, homes of wealthy pro athletes, etc. Suburban development is kinda similar in that the northern Atlanta burbs really took off. I don't wanna get into the northside v southside debate because there are plenty of good areas on the southside and I don't want it to seem like I'm not respecting them, but they generally aren't as well known or as popular.
But, in Dallas, it's like that to an extreme. Metro Atlanta still has a healthy southside even if development is more focused north of I-20. In Dallas the southside has barely developed it seems. If you take I-45 south of downtown you get out to the boonies in a hurry. Even I-35 and US-67 loses suburbia pretty quickly compared to 75 and 85 here. And there isn't really anything that compares to say Fayette County.

One big difference (and this is true across Texas) is that you also have intown areas with large hispanic populations. Here in Atlanta it seems like old intown neighborhoods were historically black or historically white. Hispanic populations seem to have moved to suburban areas like up Buford Hwy corridor into Gwinnett. In Dallas (and you can see this on the racial dot map) you also have intown areas that are majority hispanic. There's no denying the influence black communities have had on the culture of Atlanta as a whole. For Dallas (and Texas) you still have had that influence, but you also have a (mostly Mexican) hispanic influence. Tex-Mex is a big example but also non-hispanic people in general just seem to know more in Dallas than here in Atlanta. More Spanish words and phrases, more knowledgable about food, more friendships across hispanic/non-hispanic lines, etc.

I haven't been on the ground enough in Dallas to know which city is more integrated than the other in the 21st century. But I think they're pretty similar. Areas near downtown are becoming more diverse. Lot of your similar small neighborhoods with bars and local restaurants that are walkable. I don't know the direct comparisons but just like Atlanta has places like O4W, L5P, Va-Hi, etc, Dallas has places like Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville and other areas I'm not as familiar with.
With the suburbs I think it's pretty similar except maybe leaning more hispanic across the board in Dallas and lean more black across the board in Atlanta with some exceptions in both places.
sedimenjerry‘s excellent comments in response to bryantm3 raise an excellent point, which is that the dominant minority group in Dallas are Hispanics, while the dominant minority group in Atlanta are African-Americans.

And while Hispanics are undeniably the dominant minority group in Dallas, one must keep in mind that African-Americans also have a very strong presence in Dallas.

Meanwhile, while African-Americans are the dominant minority group in metro Atlanta, one must also keep in mind that Hispanics also have a noticeably strong and growing presence in metro Atlanta.

Also, Asians are a very fast-growing minority in the favored quarter (in suburban North/Northeast metro Atlanta, and in suburban North Dallas) of each respective metropolitan area.

(I have family that lives in outer-suburban North Dallas (Plano) with some cousins that went to Liberty High School in Frisco where Asian students make up about 35% of the student body.)

Like sedimenjerry noted, African-Americans appear to have a more dominant presence on the relatively less-developed south sides of both the Dallas and Atlanta metro areas (south of/below I-30 in Dallas, and south of/below I-20 in Atlanta).

Though, Atlanta’s largely black and less-developed Southside appears to be noticeably more developed than Dallas’ largely black and less-developed Southside. With the presence of the world’s busiest airport (Hartsfield-Jackson Airport) and a thriving TV/Film production industry most likely contributing to the increased amount of development in South Atlanta as compared to South Dallas.

When it comes to the role that history plays in the functioning of each metro area today, Atlanta’s history as the cradle of the Civil Rights Movement (along with Atlanta being the home of multiple HBCU’s/Historically Black Colleges and Universities, including Morehouse, Spelman and Clark Atlanta) has directly contributed to the Atlanta city/metro becoming a ’Black Mecca’ or premier relocation destination for African-Americans all over the U.S.

Atlanta’s history as the cradle of the Civil Rights Movement and status as the premier ‘Black Mecca’ is something that has resulted in Atlanta having the largest metropolitan black population outside of the New York/North New Jersey metro region.

Dallas is a very major/massive relocation destination, including for businesses and residents looking to flee California’s high-tax business-averse climate. But Dallas does not have the historical legacy that attracts any one minority group in massive numbers like Atlanta’s historical legacy of being the cradle of the Civil Rights Movement attracts African-American newcomers in massive numbers from all over the continent.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 02-15-2021 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 12:53 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
Austin real estate is going through the roof with all of the new businesses relocating there. Texas has no state income tax but very high property tax compared to Georgia.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:54 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
I've heard Austin has much higher housing costs than Dallas or Atlanta. Is that the case?
It looks that way on paper but in reality.. .not by as much as people think. What makes Austin look much higher than Dallas is that Austin is almost entirely upscale so much of the metro of Austin is best compared against N.Dallas Suburbs which overall have comparable pricing. The intown areas like West Lake Hills and Rollingwood are comparable to Highland Park in terms pricing. DFW has more industries outside of tech as well as more middle class residential neighborhoods. Austin metro has some too like Manor, Hutto, ect but not as much as DFW so it tips the average housing costs higher for Austin and lower for Dallas but people seeking similar style homes and amenities will find them priced fairly comparably....

...That was until the Pandemic flooded Austin's gates with buyers and demand eclipsed supply thrusting Austin into a Californian crazed market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Mansfield and Western Cedar Hill are the comparison of Fayette CO, Both have similar avg salaries and both have good schools although are catered to different industries respectively.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Off topic but we touched 0 in Austin and are undergoing rolling power outages due to frozen windmills and natural gas plants. This is very unnatural weather even for Texas and hasn’t gotten this bad since the 80’s. On a side note, everything out here looks like it’s made of glass and crystals, beautiful but it’s another level of sinful cold than the average Texas winter. The stuff that should only happen in Minneapolis.

I’m unsure about the mountains but from what I gather the polar vortex came from the North / Northwest, proceeded South / Southeast and then up North/NorthEast. I believe it was mostly the Gulf and Subtropical Jet Stream that pushed the air back North/Northeast

Georgia and Texas get snow and ice at about the same level unless considering the places of higher elevation such as the Panhandle.

On this list:

Dallas gets about 1.5” on average
Atlanta gets about 2.9” on average

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ll-by-city.php

On another list it’s reversed

Dallas @ 3.0”
Atlanta @ 2.0”

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/snowfall-totals-city/

In either case in terms of snowfall they’re not much different. Dallas does get worse Thunderstorms and Hail though.

In average low temperatures per winter they’re about equal as well.

Dallas @ About 57*F
Atlanta @ About 53*F

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...rge-cities.php

Difference between Texas and Georgia is Texas in general has more extremities in weather, meaning one day you could be in a furnace and the next you could be in a cooler where Georgia’s weather is more predictable and stable.
Instead of winds bringing cooler temperatures and a marine layer from northeast-to-southwest along the east side of the Appalachian Mountains as might sometimes occurs with a wedge effect, what appears to be happening now with the weather seems to look almost like a ‘reverse wedge’ effect, with the Gulf and Subtropical Jet Stream pushing relatively warmer Gulf air from south/southwest-to-northeast along the east side of the Appalachian Mountains and seemingly using the mountains to help block the severe Arctic cold air that currently is lingering to the northwest of the Appalachians.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:34 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Instead of winds bringing cooler temperatures and a marine layer from northeast-to-southwest along the east side of the Appalachian Mountains as might sometimes occurs with a wedge effect, what appears to be happening now with the weather seems to look almost like a ‘reverse wedge’ effect, with the Gulf and Subtropical Jet Stream pushing relatively warmer Gulf air from south/southwest-to-northeast along the east side of the Appalachian Mountains and seemingly using the mountains to help block the severe Arctic cold air that currently is lingering to the northwest of the Appalachians.
All I can say is right now I would kill for a 105* July day, this is another level of unbelievable cold, especially for Central Texas, I havent felt 0*F since I lived in Chicago, and when you go outside in that, its literally painful.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:01 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
I've been to Cedar Hill when going out to Midlothian where a friend grew up. Nothing wrong with it, just not really remarkable. And past there is where surburbia ends and it's much less developed until Midlothian. It's <20 miles from downtown Dallas which is the same distance as like Union City/Fairburn. Beyond that you don't have a Fayetteville or a PTC. Waxahachie is a decent size along 35E, I think similar to Newnan. But the surburban sprawl isn't really connected to it. Just aren't as many people on the southside of Dallas

Old 02-15-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Mansfield and Western Cedar Hill are the comparison of Fayette CO, Both have similar avg salaries and both have good schools although are catered to different industries respectively.
Yes.

Affluent outer-suburban South metro Dallas’ areas like Mansfield and western Cedar Hill compare very favorably to an affluent outer-suburban South metro Atlanta area like Fayette County.

Mansfield in particular has a lower poverty rate than the notably affluent South/Southwest metro Atlanta outer suburb of Peachtree City, and Mansfield has a median household income that is almost as high as P’tree City.

(Mansfield, TX poverty rate is 3.8% vs. P’tree City’s poverty rate of 5.8%; while Mansfield, TX median household income is $99,510 vs. P’tree City’s median household income of $101,121... Though P’tree City’s $51,994 per-capita income appears to be significantly higher than Mansfield’s per-capita income of $38,948.)

One key difference between affluent Southwest metro Dallas outer-suburban areas like Mansfield/western Cedar Hill and an affluent South/Southwest metro Atlanta outer-suburban area like Fayette County are the existence of major revenue generators like Trilith Studios (formerly Pinewood Atlanta Studios, one of the largest and busiest Film/TV production studios in the entire Western Hemisphere) in Fayetteville and the world’s busiest airport (Hartsfield-Jackson Airport) roughly about 15 miles up the road from Fayette County in South Atlanta.

The affluent outer-suburban Southwest metro Dallas Mansfield and western Cedar Hill areas do not necessarily seem to quite have major revenue generators like Trilith Studios and ATL Airport immediately close nearby like Fayette County, Georgia does.

Though, Cedar Hill State Park and Joe Pool Lake are some fantastical natural gems for the outer-suburban Southwest metro Dallas area.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 02-15-2021 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City