Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city outside of NYS is most comparable to Rochester?
Birmingham, AL 0 0%
Boise, ID 1 2.70%
Dayton, OH 6 16.22%
Grand Rapids, MI 9 24.32%
Hartford, CT 9 24.32%
Louisville, KY 0 0%
Providence, RI 3 8.11%
Richmond, VA 2 5.41%
Spokane, WA 3 8.11%
Other (specify) 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 04:20 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times

Advertisements

I thought this continuation of a familiar theme would make for an interesting discussion. Which cities do you find to be most comparable to Rochester, NY? For the sake of this thread, let’s exclude cities within New York State.

Some categories to consider:

Architecture
Culture
Demographics
Economy
Education
Geography
Importance/impact
Politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 04:23 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Maybe Grand Rapids?

Old 02-16-2021, 04:31 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Hartford. Both had dominance in a field (optics/insurance) that’s declined significantly. However left quite wealthy well off suburbs unlike a lot of similar sized cities. Both are under the influence of nearby cities.

I also think they both carved up their Downtowns horrendously more than a lot of similar cities.

Rochester has a few more nice urban neighborhoods than Hartford though.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:52 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Hartford

Old 02-18-2021, 09:04 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Hartford. Both had dominance in a field (optics/insurance) that’s declined significantly. However left quite wealthy well off suburbs unlike a lot of similar sized cities. Both are under the influence of nearby cities.

I also think they both carved up their Downtowns horrendously more than a lot of similar cities.

Rochester has a few more nice urban neighborhoods than Hartford though.
There is still a big presence only due to smaller companies being formed as the bigger companies downsized. There is actually a thread in the Rochester forum about the Photonics industry in the area and this map illustrates what I am referring to: https://siliconmaps.com/new-york-photonics-map/

As for the cities listed, Richmond and Louisville may not be too dissimilar, as both cities(or former city in the case of Louisville) aren't much bigger than Rochester in population and are/were a little bit bigger in land size. Both are a little bit bigger in metro population, but not by much and again, both are bigger in land size on the metro level.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-18-2021 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-18-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is still a big presence only due to smaller companies being formed as the bigger companies downsized. There is actually a thread in the Rochester forum about the Photonics industry in the area and this map illustrates what I am referring to: https://siliconmaps.com/new-york-photonics-map/

As for the cities listed, Richmond and Louisville may not be too dissimilar, as both cities(or former city in the case of Louisville) aren't much bigger than Rochester in population and are/were a little bit bigger in land size. Both are a little bit bigger in metro population, but not by much and again, both are bigger in land size on the metro level.
Hartford still has several Insurance companies some where merged out, most simply automated out a lot of jobs in the 1990s. Much like Kodak.

They also reached their economic pinnacle at the same time

Old 02-18-2021, 03:59 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Why is Boise in the poll, and who voted for it? Super random.

Spokane I can actually kinda see. It does have a Rust Belt vibe in some parts and, like Rochester, has suffered some economic decline from the loss of its manufacturing industry after the core Rust Belt period of the '60s-'80s (not enough to cause overall population decline, but still less growth than most Western cities).

Old 02-19-2021, 07:42 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Why is Boise in the poll, and who voted for it? Super random.

Spokane I can actually kinda see. It does have a Rust Belt vibe in some parts and, like Rochester, has suffered some economic decline from the loss of its manufacturing industry after the core Rust Belt period of the '60s-'80s (not enough to cause overall population decline, but still less growth than most Western cities).
Spokane seems to be more in line with Syracuse in terms of population/size and character. Rochester actually has more of a white collar feel than other Interior Northeastern cities, even though it does have a blue collar presence as well.

To be fair to Rochester, while the city proper has lost population within its 35 square miles, the metro hasn't loss population in an official census as of now.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-19-2021 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-20-2021, 08:08 AM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
I'd actually argue Birmingham in some ways, although Rochester is somewhat less blue collar than you'd think from its location/cultural sterotypes about the region (decently sized white collar contingent of people). Hartford is probably the closest parallel, although I think Rochester is in a good deal better shape than Hartford (says more about Hartford than Rochester though)

Old 02-20-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
I'd actually argue Birmingham in some ways, although Rochester is somewhat less blue collar than you'd think from its location/cultural sterotypes about the region (decently sized white collar contingent of people). Hartford is probably the closest parallel, although I think Rochester is in a good deal better shape than Hartford (says more about Hartford than Rochester though)
The issue is Birmingham is very few urban neighborhoods. It has a pretty large gridded Downtown but becomes suburvanrrally quickly. As it has 208,000 people in like 180sq miles.

Rochester has a pretty extensive area of nice urban neighborhoods south of Main Street.

Almost want to say it’s like a city with the layout of Worcester had the economy of Hartford and the demographics of Buffalo they’d be Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City