Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 06:03 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

For the sake of this discussion, and with respect to Squaw Valley and Lake Placid, I can’t realistically see either hosting the games again at this point, so I’m just focusing on 3: Calgary, Salt Lake City, Vancouver

Some questions to consider:
1. Which one was considered the most successful host after their respective event?
2. Which one has the best proximity/transit to alpine facilities?
3. Which city has the most unique and engaging atmosphere?
4. Which one might be most negatively influenced by future climate change?
5. Which one has a local politics that would be most open to trying to host again?
6. Any other factors or intangibles to consider between these (Core venues, etc)

I am fascinated and intrigued by all of them. I hope this is an interesting discussion.

Also, bonus: out of major cities that have not yet hosted: which one(s) in North America are most viable for future Winter Olympics particularly? Boston? Burlington? Quebec City? Denver? Bozeman? Anchorage? Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 07:12 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Boston would have been a good 2026/2030 olympic host pairing up with NH like originally planned.

But the city has way two many damn NIMBYs. A world class city held back by some reverse thinkers.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:33 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

Also, bonus: out of major cities that have not yet hosted: which one(s) in North America are most viable for future Winter Olympics particularly? Boston? Burlington? Quebec City? Denver? Bozeman? Anchorage? Etc.
Quebec City
Anchorage
Denver
Flagstaff
Reno-Lake Tahoe

Old 02-21-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston would have been a good 2026/2030 olympic host pairing up with NH like originally planned.

But the city has way two many damn NIMBYs. A world class city held back by some reverse thinkers.
So true.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
For the sake of this discussion, and with respect to Squaw Valley and Lake Placid, I can’t realistically see either hosting the games again at this point, so I’m just focusing on 3: Calgary, Salt Lake City, Vancouver

Some questions to consider:
1. Which one was considered the most successful host after their respective event?
2. Which one has the best proximity/transit to alpine facilities?
3. Which city has the most unique and engaging atmosphere?
4. Which one might be most negatively influenced by future climate change?
5. Which one has a local politics that would be most open to trying to host again?
6. Any other factors or intangibles to consider between these (Core venues, etc)

I am fascinated and intrigued by all of them. I hope this is an interesting discussion.
Salt Lake City and Vancouver may both be bidding for the 2030
Winter Olympic Games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2030_W...cs?wprov=sfti1

Old 02-21-2021, 08:51 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Maybe Seattle. They have competed before in 1976 but Denver won out, Denver eventually backed out last minute though after committing to it, causing some embarrassment for the US.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:18 AM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
The biggest issue with hosting the Winter Olympics is infrastructure.

With that being said I think Vancouver realistically will be the best place to rehost again. It is in a great position. A massive amount of money went into that. It is also imho the best major city to host the Olympics. Plus the coastal ranges near Vancouver get a crazy amount of snow.

They should really try a joint Olympics between the US and Canada. Vancouver and Bellingham WA would be awesome. Mount Baker would be a great addition and boasts the largest snowfall totals in the world (1000 plus inches in a season).

I would love to see Bozeman host it, but I don’t see that happening due to lack of infrastructure and local politics.

I think Seattle would be great, and has some excellent mountains nearby as well, but there has been a lot of opposition to that idea.

Anchorage would also be amazing. But again I think there would be a lot of local opposition.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:20 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
I wouldn't suggest Seattle....wet, unreliable snow. Or so they tell me.

Also the city tends to be 42 and drippy in the winter.

Summer would make more sense. Cruise ships might nearly double the 16,000 hotel rooms in greater Downtown. The Seattle Center would make a great visitor campus.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:23 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I only recall SLC and Vancouver but they both seem like they did an amazing job with hosting. I know SLC won the US bid for 2030 so I hope it gets it.

Denver’s not getting the Olympics any time in the foreseeable future. Pretty sure the IOC is holding a grudge. I think CO’s best bet is Colorado Springs since it is “Olympic City USA.” But it’s further from the large ski resorts and would need to use Denver’s venues so probably not gonna happen either. Which is a shame since there’s few better place in the country to do it!

I think Boston might have a good chance if they bid again. I’d like to see smaller cities like Reno or Boise get it.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:24 AM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I wouldn't suggest Seattle....wet, unreliable snow. Or so they tell me.

Also the city tends to be 42 and drippy in the winter.

Summer would make more sense. Cruise ships might nearly double the 16,000 hotel rooms in greater Downtown. The Seattle Center would make a great visitor campus.
Do you ski?

Just look at all the deepest snow packs. They are all in WA state most seasons. Crystal mountain, Mount Baker, and Steven’s pass. The snow has a higher water content due to proximity to the pacific . But so do most of the resorts near Vancouver. The snow is not as dry as the interior. That is why they call it cascade concrete. Extremely heavy and wet snow.

Most of the resorts near Boston have less than 50 inches of snow on the ground with very short seasons. That is a huge problem with most east coast resorts. In fact going forward that is going to be a big problem. Short terrain. Lack of snow coverage and short seasons with lots of ice and relatively little snow. (Compared to western counterparts)

Right now Mount Baker has 200+ inches on the ground. In terms of reliability consistent snowfalls you can’t beat the Cascades.

Pretty much every season the top ten deepest snow packs are in WA/BC/AK. Pretty much every season the list below is the same.

11 Deepest Snowpacks in North America Right Now
#1 – Summit at Snoqualmie Alpental, WA – 200″
#2 – Mount Baker, WA – 186″
#3 – Mount Seymour, BC – 178″
#5 – Cypress Mountain, BC – 161″
#6 – Grouse Mountain Resort, BC – 153″
#7 – Homewood, CA – 148″
#8 – Stevens Pass, WA – 147″
#9 – Timberline, OR – 142″

I’d also like to see some smaller cities like Boise and Anchorage make that list as a possible location in the future. They would really benefit.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 02-21-2021 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City