Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 09:35 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Got dinner, drinks, club (3 drinks), Uber back to hotel in DC was $87 for me w/ a 20% tip.

In Boston, got grub at Artu and a drink, then went to the bar afterwards and took the T home. I tipped the bartender $15 on a $14.75 check, $90 in total that night.

In Hoboken got dinner ($35, with a drink and tip) then went to the club and spent 40 on a lot of drinks. $90 that night because I got a pastry and slept in JC.

Spending over $100 on a night out on the town is dumb. My friend from Chelsea Manhattan brings $20 to the bar on Friday's and doesn't go over that.

In syracuse I ate a fairly upscale restaurant and spent like $30 all together. Then went to a bar and spent $12 on 3 drinks and tip. Soo
See, I frequently will spend over $100 when I’m in Chicago just on myself including dinner. If you’re gonna go to a nice restaurant, like Michelin caliber, it’s not gonna be cheap. And depending on what bar or club you go to drinks are not cheap either.

I find it easier to spend $100 in Chicago than most other cities but I’m also a big foodie and and there are a lot of fine dining options there I like to explore, so it’s worth it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 09:42 AM

1,803 posts, read 936,473 times
Quote:
Syracuse has extremely cheap drinks. $2 drink specials are the norm at 21-29 yr old bars. Pre Covid

Actually most of Upstate does. Gotta know where to go. SUNY and College towns save money. Big time. Even for the older crowd
Of course small city even mid-size you have neighborhood bars and clubs on the cheap. We are not talking in big city suburbs either. My small city has $150 mugs and $2 pints. I am far from a big city .... Most regular bars and clubs like volunteer firehouses with bars that pay no taxes as clubs. Ones that call themselves brew houses and specialty beers joints might have more the $5 beers.

NYC no one will believe those cheap drinks unless some dive bar in the Bronx at best.

How the topic became drinks out.... is odd to help someone choose a city. Why would anyone argue NYC is as if not one of the costly cities to eat out in besides some joint somewhere one finds a exception.

Maybe you all want to compare who has the cheapest dive bars LOL NYC or CHI.....

Old 03-11-2021, 09:51 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
See, I frequently will spend over $100 when I’m in Chicago just on myself including dinner. If you’re gonna go to a nice restaurant, like Michelin caliber, it’s not gonna be cheap. And depending on what bar or club you go to drinks are not cheap either.

I find it easier to spend $100 in Chicago than most other cities but I’m also a big foodie and and there are a lot of fine dining options there I like to explore, so it’s worth it to me.
I'm a foodie too but I see $100 michelin dinners a waste of money when you can have a more enjoyable dinner for 1/3-1/5 the cost. Then you take that money and invest it in your IRA, 401k, or high yield savings.. Which is usually what I do. If I don't save atleast 1/3 of my income,I get stressed easily.

Maybe I'm just extremely fugal, but myself and spending over $20 on a meal is a no go from me. Right now I'm making close to 100k but still. I can't imagine a 40 dollar dinner lol

I feel like a lot of people are like me too. My age group is very frugal outside PS5s

Old 03-11-2021, 09:58 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
Got dinner, drinks, club (3 drinks), Uber back to hotel in DC was $87 for me w/ a 20% tip.

In Boston, got grub at Artu and a drink, then went to the bar afterwards and took the T home. I tipped the bartender $15 on a $14.75 check, $90 in total that night.

In Hoboken got dinner ($35, with a drink and tip) then went to the club and spent 40 on a lot of drinks. $90 that night because I got a pastry and slept in JC.

Spending over $100 on a night out on the town is dumb. My friend from Chelsea Manhattan brings $20 to the bar on Friday's and doesn't go over that.

In syracuse I ate a fairly upscale restaurant and spent like $30 all together. Then went to a bar and spent $12 on 3 drinks and tip. Soo
Waaaaaayyyy back when I had a New York buddy come party with me in austin. Now, this was 6th street and it was probably a HH special, but we ordered a round of shots, and it came out to like 25 bucks for 8-10 of us. And the guy from NY is flabbergasted and said "that's it? No need to collect any money, I got this. That's like 2 drinks in NYC"

Old 03-11-2021, 10:01 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Syracuse has extremely cheap drinks. $2 drink specials are the norm at 21-29 yr old bars. Pre Covid

Actually most of Upstate does. Gotta know where to go. SUNY and College towns save money. Big time. Even for the older crowd
So... fermented and/or distilled toilet water.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:05 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Uptown is North Side and has plenty of diversity. Not uncommon to hear many different languages being spoken while walking around the neighborhood. The area has experienced a lot of construction with quite a few projects in the pipeline. It has a big city urban feel with mid and high-rises, historic architecture, entertainment, parks and a popular beach. Someone from New York seeking culture, urbanity and scale would probably appreciate what it offers. Prices are very affordable as well.
Yup. Uptown is another example of a North Side neighborhood with plenty of diversity. I would also include the surrounding neighborhoods of Edgewater and Buena Park as having plenty of diversity too.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
So... fermented and/or distilled toilet water.
Li iced tea, gintonic, bacardi

Old 03-11-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Of course small city even mid-size you have neighborhood bars and clubs on the cheap. We are not talking in big city suburbs either. My small city has $150 mugs and $2 pints. I am far from a big city .... Most regular bars and clubs like volunteer firehouses with bars that pay no taxes as clubs. Ones that call themselves brew houses and specialty beers joints might have more the $5 beers.

NYC no one will believe those cheap drinks unless some dive bar in the Bronx at best.

How the topic became drinks out.... is odd to help someone choose a city. Why would anyone argue NYC is as if not one of the costly cities to eat out in besides some joint somewhere one finds a exception.

Maybe you all want to compare who has the cheapest dive bars LOL NYC or CHI.....
Nyc is basically the only city left with dollar slices. When the average New Yorker eats out, they aren't going to Michelin restaurants lmao

Old 03-11-2021, 11:01 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

I don't find it any easier or harder to spend $100-$200 between Chicago, NYC, Boston, your current city (Seattle), or any other large city. If you're looking to spend top dollar, sure, you can find more places to spend more money in NYC. But for the average person who likes good food, a good cocktail and some craft beer, that $100 ain't going very far in any of these cities.

I mean $100 gets you, what, two meals and four craft beer in Old Town? It's going to be the same cost for a similar restaurant/neighborhood in any big city.

I don't expect you'd see a significant difference in most day to day spend between these two.. Groceries, public transportation, sport/theatre, etc. The major difference, of course, will be cost of housing, parking, and utilities.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:01 AM

1,803 posts, read 936,473 times
Quote:
Nyc is basically the only city left with dollar slices. When the average New Yorker eats out, they aren't going to Michelin restaurants lmao
All know there is more to NYC then Manhattan and still some dive-type bars someplaces. There are not enough Michelin restaurants for most by far to EVER eat out at in the Nation..... yet alone NYC in its vast population. They could not take enough reservation for years in advance.

Now if you want to say it is easy to find a bar/restaurant with $2 $3 $4 beers in NYC then CHI? Guess NYC is fine for a Cheaper bar and food will not cost more then other metros despite added taxes even. I doubt anyone will say Chicago is cheap, but we are still talking overall vs mighty NYC. Maybe a dozen wings (still 12 yes) by me under $10 is still well under $20 in NYC with the celery and blue or ranch..... maybe they cost just as much in Chi and NYC? No one goes michelin for them.

I surely know there is always some exception somewhere. If the bet is NYC overall outside of the top restaurants and clubs are as cheap or cheaper then Chicago? Guess the stereotype of NYC everything cost more is just..... false. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe even Boston is higher then NYC on average over the whole city? Beats me I guess.

It was a good laugh though over the.... must have have been served toilet water at that price for NYC ..... Great laugh with my morning coffee then when I read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City