Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 11:23 AM

12,193 posts, read 8,072,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
All know there is more to NYC then Manhattan and still some dive-type bars someplaces. There are not enough Michelin restaurants for most by far to EVER eat out at in the Nation..... yet alone NYC in its vast population. They could not take enough reservation for years in advance.

Now if you want to say it is easy to find a bar/restaurant with $2 $3 $4 beers in NYC then CHI? Guess NYC is fine for a Cheaper bar and food will not cost more then other metros despite added taxes even. I doubt anyone will say Chicago is cheap, but we are still talking overall vs mighty NYC. Maybe a dozen wings (still 12 yes) by me under $10 is still well under $20 in NYC with the celery and blue or ranch..... maybe they cost just as much in Chi and NYC? No one goes michelin for them.

I surely know there is always some exception somewhere. If the bet is NYC overall outside of the top restaurants and clubs are as cheap or cheaper then Chicago? Guess the stereotype of NYC everything cost more is just..... false. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe even Boston is higher then NYC on average over the whole city? Beats me I guess.

It was a good laugh though over the.... must have have been served toilet water at that price for NYC ..... Great laugh with my morning coffee then when I read it.
Syracuse isn't in NYC, It's a city in Upstate Ny.

I think the point is 99.9% of people eat regularly priced, good food and the likelihood of OP going to $100+ a night places is slim to none. Most of my friends make 100k+ and don't even do that. Maybe an age thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 12:12 PM

1,803 posts, read 940,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno25 View Post
So I’m contemplating a move to Chicago in the near future. I’m just more of a big city person, not much on small towns or smaller cities as they come off as small minded. I recently had a conversation with someone about NYC. I have been to NYC but it’s been forever, but basically my friend was telling me in most, but not all big cities, you can be yourself and no one cares. That’s why there are so many colorful people in NYC and that you can really be yourself there for the most part. Would this be the case in Chicago, for better or for worse, or is it pretty much normculture? Just asking out of curiosity.
Not sure why this in in the CvC forum.... specifically asking about a Chicago move, just accepting someone different as NYC in accepting..... I doubt cost of cheaper night out in Syracuse or my small city means anything here or a earlier conversation of beaches and Great Lake vs Ocean....

Just the thread became a city vs city thread in whatever came in a conversation I guess. OP never returned to either forum to comment further including the Chicago forum thread created by the OP.

The OP here did create a thread in the Chicago forum asking about transit there and this first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno25 View Post
I’m considering moving to Chicago sometime after Covid. I rely on public transit and was wondering what anyone thinks about the future of public transit in Chicago. I’ve heard different things about the future of public transit in this country post Covid, but I wanted to hear input specifically from Chicagoans. I’m basically wanting to get away from small towns and small cities as they are too small minded, I’ve always been a big city person. That said, I think it’s best to continue researching a potential move.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,898,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Syracuse isn't in NYC, It's a city in Upstate Ny.

I think the point is 99.9% of people eat regularly priced, good food and the likelihood of OP going to $100+ a night places is slim to none. Most of my friends make 100k+ and don't even do that. Maybe an age thing?
Completely agree with this.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:03 PM

12,870 posts, read 9,619,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Idk tho. I’ve lived in NYC all my life. I’m 40.

Maybe it’s because I’m a woman and I get drinks bought for me a lot but I’ve never spent anything close to $100 on a night out
Humble brag? Of course that's the reason. That's like me saying "30k for a car? Maybe it's cuz my parents bought it for me but I've never spent anything close to 30k to a car." Sheesh.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:18 PM

12,193 posts, read 8,072,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Humble brag? Of course that's the reason. That's like me saying "30k for a car? Maybe it's cuz my parents bought it for me but I've never spent anything close to 30k to a car." Sheesh.
Shop your options, there's better cars for 12k

Old 03-11-2021, 08:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,237,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I'm a foodie too but I see $100 michelin dinners a waste of money when you can have a more enjoyable dinner for 1/3-1/5 the cost. Then you take that money and invest it in your IRA, 401k, or high yield savings.. Which is usually what I do. If I don't save atleast 1/3 of my income,I get stressed easily.

Maybe I'm just extremely fugal, but myself and spending over $20 on a meal is a no go from me. Right now I'm making close to 100k but still. I can't imagine a 40 dollar dinner lol

I feel like a lot of people are like me too. My age group is very frugal outside PS5s
Yeah, I mean spending $100 on a night is not the norm for me but when I’m on vacation I will budget for that if I’m specifically going somewhere like Chicago (or NY for that matter) since they are so renowned for their culinary scenes. I wouldn’t really plan to spend that sort of money in most US cities and certainly don’t where I live now because I don’t think it’s as likely to be worth it as a very general rule.

I get that sometimes you can get better food for cheaper, but for me, it’s also the experience I enjoy. That said whether in NY or Chicago I do like to mix it up between finer dining and more street food/hole in the wall places. My point was, it may be easier to spend under $100 in Chicago vs NY on a night out but it’s quite easy to spend more than $100 in Chicago on a countless number of food/nightlife experiences.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:07 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,898,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, I mean spending $100 on a night is not the norm for me but when I’m on vacation I will budget for that if I’m specifically going somewhere like Chicago (or NY for that matter) since they are so renowned for their culinary scenes. I wouldn’t really plan to spend that sort of money in most US cities and certainly don’t where I live now because I don’t think it’s as likely to be worth it as a very general rule.

I get that sometimes you can get better food for cheaper, but for me, it’s also the experience I enjoy. That said whether in NY or Chicago I do like to mix it up between finer dining and more street food/hole in the wall places. My point was, it may be easier to spend under $100 in Chicago vs NY on a night out but it’s quite easy to spend more than $100 in Chicago on a countless number of food/nightlife experiences.
This is all true. Although, as it relates to COL, when you’re living in a city, you don’t always go out for food/nightlife experiences every weekend. As a visitor, definitely. But as a resident, I know I personally usually eat at smaller/cheaper local places on the weekend. Or I’ll just cook. Pre-Covid, every once in a while I’ll go out with friends on the weekend where the night does end up being pretty costly (with food, drinks, etc).

Old 03-13-2021, 07:38 PM

156 posts, read 175,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Idk tho. I’ve lived in NYC all my life. I’m 40.

Maybe it’s because I’m a woman and I get drinks bought for me a lot but I’ve never spent anything close to $100 on a night out

Cool story bro...

Old 03-13-2021, 08:49 PM

1,803 posts, read 940,014 times
Since this thread went to bro for a female and beers and price of a night out etc....

This link gives US cities and priciest beers out cost cities and lowest cost cities
This by numbers - LOWER THE NUMBER the CHEAPEST and HIGHEST the PRICIEST.

This is a 2019 link.

https://www.wanderu.com/blog/cheapes...n-the-us/#pint

Soooo the chart in the link places....
Chicago at #18
NYC at #49

Higher number the most expensive.

Chart from above link.

https://www.wanderu.com/blog/wp-cont.../03/main-1.png

For Cocktails NYC and Miami were priciest at $16 with Chicago in the second tier - which consists of L.A., Chicago and San Francisco - are $2 less on average, only serving to emphasize the highway robbery taking place in Gotham (refers to NYC here) and the 305 (refers to Miami/Miami Beach).

Perhaps Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island are at the $2 cheaper tier?

I would think both cities have their off the beaten path dive bars for less, but most on a night out are not taking a date to a dive bar. Then there is snacks and full meals to consider and cover-charges for entertainment. Some forget all of these things yes can add up with tips and generally paying even more getting drinks at the bar itself and leaving a tip each time.....

Old 03-14-2021, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 1,464 times
Toronto is a good city for a mix of NY and Chicago. Not as urban and bustling as NY but more so than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City