Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 05:27 PM

6,385 posts, read 5,015,361 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I agree that WA is the best state in the country to live in general. The COL can be high for what you get, depending on your lifestyle needs.

But I do think it (Seattle specifically) is pretty much the best place in the country to move if you're a young person with no kids, who just needs to get out of your parents' house or out of a bad living situation. You can live alone on a minimum-wage job --- since the minimum wage is $15 here --- and get to that job on public transit without needing a car (even if you work nights). You might be living in a shoebox if you don't want roommates, but it is possible. And you can even get to the water, national parks, and state parks just by using regional transit. Other places in the country tend to either have a prohibitively high COL (or at least, few down-market living options), a crap job market, or unreliable/nonexistent transit: all bad for surviving as a young single person.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:43 PM

21,665 posts, read 12,808,075 times
I think Washington at #1 sounds pretty reasonable. You can tell in part because it got zero pushback here up to this point , unheard of. Some part of “WA #1” makes sense to most of us.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:13 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think Washington at #1 sounds pretty reasonable. You can tell in part because it got zero pushback here up to this point , unheard of. Some part of “WA #1” makes sense to most of us.
I mean good jobs. Good natural environment. Good quality of life. Seattle.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:19 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,426,070 times
Wages are high in Seattle too. Median household income in the city is in the six figures. My job pays significantly more here than on the East Coast.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I find it’s more a borderline antagonistic relationship based on ideological difference, attitude and driving style. The people in NH seems so anti-MA (like the poster who made the initial comment)
Those NH people sure do hate Ma__holes, don't they?

Old 03-09-2021, 08:41 PM

563 posts, read 516,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Who are all the folks dashing to move to New Hampshire and Nebraska, for example?

No shade to those living in those states, they both have a few incredible areas.

But all in all, these states offer little incentives to real world people looking to move there. Like a big city, on fire economy, high paying jobs, great weather, location, amazing attractions...

The other states in the top 10 make reasonable sense to me. But those 2 stand out.

I know of no one, that I can ever recall, who moved to New Hampshire or Nebraska, due to a job offer or "because they are the best states."

Just sayin'.
Just sayin’- you’ve obviously never stepped foot in Omaha for you to you make sweeping generalizations such as this. Omaha is a city of nearly 500,000 in a metropolitan area of 1 million. Hardly an outpost. It is home to 4 Fortune 500 companies and 8 Fortune 1000. It has a diversified economy and job opportunities abound. Incentive? You bet and absolutely. Omaha has its share of cultural attractions, a diverse population and one of the top zoos in the world..

So please. Speaking for Omaha, it’s on fire right now; and it’s population is seeing robust growth. And I know of several dozen people, just in the past 3 years, who have moved to the Omaha metropolitan area because of a great job opportunity and love it here.

Some people need to step out of the “legacy city” bubble to see the forest beyond the trees. Understanding fully how hard it is to imagine anyone in their “right mind” living in Nebraska or New Hampshire..que eye roll.

Last edited by Mighty Joe Young; 03-09-2021 at 08:52 PM..

Old 03-09-2021, 09:56 PM

8,356 posts, read 5,517,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Eh... I don't have a problem with the top 5 and the bottom 5. Seems pretty spot on TBH.
Thats totally and completely subjective. You dont have a problem with it because you agree with it. Thats your opinion and thats find but you cannot make the subjective become objective just because you agree.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:21 PM

382 posts, read 489,461 times
The only issue I have with this list is the fact they used the outdated flag for Mississippi.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:28 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Louisiana last, no surprise. Unfortunately as a former Louisiana resident, this doesn't shock me whatsoever.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:20 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,527,684 times
As someone who has ranked metros since 1985, this is borderline laughable. "Opportunity" is based more in politics than the real World. Washington (ie Seattle) and Minnesota (ie MSP) has a big Antifa/BML influence that leads to violence and social unrest. Their Costs of living are high (especially western WA) and rising faster than the national average. Rampant homelessness in western WA and growing in MSP, which negatively affects fiscal stability and fiscal responsibility. Both states have very overreaching governments. Etc., etc., etc. All of this points to a low QOL on metrics that most greatly affects the average American.

To sum it up, this list is garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City