Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 09:16 AM

7,272 posts, read 10,611,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Pennsylvania is 6.9% immigrants, the exact same as Michigan. New Jersey is 22%+ immigrants, Massachusetts 17% VT 14%...so unless that's not true, then yea. But it is true.

What I said makes sense and is a big big big difference between PA and other northeastern states.
The urban Northeast is very different from the rural Northeast. Period. I think we all know that Chelsea is not Northampton. Vineland is not Newark. Yonkers is not Rochester. The urban/rural divide exists everywhere.

Quote:
Maine is not a swing state. New Hampshire is odd but it's libertarian, not really Republican IMO.
Maine has very conservative tendencies in its northern portions, but you misunderstood the point. Bottom line: conservative politics are not a cultural proxy for "Midwestern," as you implied. Are the Orthodox Jews of Brooklyn "Midwestern?": https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.pre...rump-1.9251793

Quote:
You can point to Rustbelty towns of New England but PA like one of the big poster child along with MI and OH. Overall we all think of PA as Pennsyltucky for a reason. As for Northern New England, Northern New England is its own thing and not at all like NJ. Very different from southern New England too, minus NW Massachusetts.

The PA vibe feels very different than Jersey to me. Even York felt more midwestern than ready coast. The *immediate* Philly Area I get a NE vine-but the rest? Nah. Loved Pittsburgh but didn't feel like anywhere I had ever been before.
Once again, the "Northeast vibe" of which you speak is exclusively of the urban Northeast. And sorry, there's really nothing "Midwestern" about York.

There's MUCH more to the entire region than its string of urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 09:27 AM

21,698 posts, read 12,825,238 times
^ you're compartmentalized and breaking up states. The point of this is to generalize a state. Generally Pennsylvannia as a whole displays many midwestern political, demographic and economic similarities, more so than Northeastern/coastal STATES. In some days it's identical to midwestern states like MI and OH as a whole. Detroit isn't Upper peninsula-so what. We're talking states on a whole..

Regardless, obviously CT as a whole is much more similar to NJ in just about every way other than population size.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
^ you're compartmentalized and breaking up states. The point of this is to generalize a state. Generally Pennsylvannia as a whole displays many midwestern political, demographic and economic similarities, more so than Northeastern/coastal STATES. In some days it's identical to midwestern states like MI and OH as a whole. Detroit isn't Upper peninsula-so what. We're talking states on a whole..
At the end of the day, states are generally hard to characterize holistically. Unless you're talking about Vermont or Rhode Island, I've yet to visit a state that's even remotely homogenous.

I'm not saying there aren't some characteristics for which you might group Pennsylvania more closely with Midwestern states overall, but even then, you're really only referring to specific states of the Northeast as a comparison (as you acknowledge, Northern New England and Upstate NY are a world apart from a place like Newark).

Quote:
Regardless, obviously CT as a whole is much more similar to NJ in just about every way other than population size.
No arguments there. That was my pick, as well. But as someone who's from Eastern PA, I assure you that there's a long-standing, integrated relationship between it and New Jersey, especially in Southeastern PA and the Lehigh Valley, which comprise about 40% of the state's population right in those two areas.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:03 AM

14,187 posts, read 22,768,179 times
Quote:
Jees PA folks really do dislike the midwest tag.....
Because it's not in the Midwest, that's why!

Old 03-27-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Because it's not in the Midwest, that's why!
Only on city data is basic geography ignored.

And I'll kindly decline any New Englander's highly provincial definition of the Northeast.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:19 AM

12,174 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Only on city data is basic geography ignored.

And I'll kindly decline any New Englander's highly provincial definition of the Northeast.
I know someone who considers NJ southern. Guess where they are from lol

Old 03-27-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
People who think New Jersey is Southern are dumb, regardless of where they live.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:52 AM

10,116 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
People who think New Jersey is Southern are dumb, regardless of where they live.
It's not too far fetched. NJ is right across the river from the south. South Jersey looks southern in many areas. I wouldn't consider it southern, however.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:01 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,564,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
They are from the land of The Departed right? New Englanders can get under anyone's skin, lol.

I do know some CT and RI acquaintances who have some rigid regional criteria but PA is seen as Northern due to Philly alone (they haven't been anywhere else in the state). Jersey is seen as Northern too though.
Xq

Last edited by Chevalier de Saint-George; 03-27-2021 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-27-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's not too far fetched. NJ is right across the river from the south. South Jersey looks southern in many areas. I wouldn't consider it southern, however.
Which river?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City