Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Little Saigon in USA
Arlington (Virginia) 2 3.08%
Chicago 10 15.38%
Houston 11 16.92%
Orange County, CA 21 32.31%
Philly 8 12.31%
NYC 3 4.62%
San Diego 1 1.54%
San Francisco 2 3.08%
San Jose 4 6.15%
Seattle 3 4.62%
Tacoma 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 12:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 936,473 times

Advertisements

This thread took some tangents ... still on Vietnamese neighborhoods or Little Saigon's. Even if Chicago's is not called in tier 1 or even 2..... Guess I will give a version in Chicago in its Uptown neighborhood that is its Little Saigon with other Asian flair.

It also has a few names. "Little Saigon", "New Chinatown", "Argyle Square", "Asia on Argyle", or "Argyle Park". Also is a historic district in the northern Uptown neighborhood of Chicago and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in June 2010.

It is 7-8 miles north in the city from downtown Chicago. Mixed neighborhood a storied history as always a bit wild and different. Uptown was center and last bastion of what once called the Hillbilly Heaven of the Chicago having migration from The Upland South Appalachia. was home to thousands of Appalachian migrants in the 1950s/1960s. As numbers decreased and Uptown was the center left Known fondly as Hillbilly Heaven having honky-tonk bars, and concentration of southern whites, Uptown even was called the Hillbilly Ghetto.

It always had a bit of that shady edge it seems in history. Now it has the Vietnamese, Thai and other Asian groups who call it home. Found the video to be a nice walk though the main blocks of as a Little Saigon yet today. Plenty of Viet and Thai shops and eateries and mix population.

Still a slice of Chicago steet-scenes and life. Even looking down a side alley and dumpters and powerline poles the city uses its alleys for them... one early in the video clearly is not sweet smelling in summer. Videos seems late fall in when recorded. Also has its non-covid year festivals and outdoor block parties. Clearly, it is not a Little Saigon as a outdoor strip mall +. It is a actual true neighborhood and street.

If you want HD you will have to change to HD for the video and enlarge it for that. The poor theater in the opening theater shot still is awaiting full restoration sadly. Still kept my attention throughout with old Chicago and a newer arriving ethnicity calling it home. Like how even passersby waved to the camera showing a bit of neighborhood spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytmI-pALWk&t=501s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 12:16 PM

154 posts, read 116,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
This thread took some tangents ... still on Vietnamese neighborhoods or Little Saigon's. Even if Chicago's is not called in tier 1 or even 2..... Guess I will give a version in Chicago in its Uptown neighborhood that is its Little Saigon with other Asian flair.

It also has a few names. "Little Saigon", "New Chinatown", "Argyle Square", "Asia on Argyle", or "Argyle Park". Also is a historic district in the northern Uptown neighborhood of Chicago and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in June 2010.

It is 7-8 miles north in the city from downtown Chicago. Mixed neighborhood a storied history as always a bit wild and different. Uptown was center and last bastion of what once called the Hillbilly Heaven of the Chicago having migration from The Upland South Appalachia. was home to thousands of Appalachian migrants in the 1950s/1960s. As numbers decreased and Uptown was the center left Known fondly as Hillbilly Heaven having honky-tonk bars, and concentration of southern whites, Uptown even was called the Hillbilly Ghetto.

It always had a bit of that shady edge it seems in history. Now it has the Vietnamese, Thai and other Asian groups who call it home. Found the video to be a nice walk though the main blocks of as a Little Saigon yet today. Plenty of Viet and Thai shops and eateries and mix population.

Still a slice of Chicago steet-scenes and life. Even looking down a side alley and dumpters and powerline poles the city uses its alleys for them... one early in the video clearly is not sweet smelling in summer. Videos seems late fall in when recorded. Also has its non-covid year festivals and outdoor block parties. Clearly, it is not a Little Saigon as a outdoor strip mall +. It is a actual true neighborhood and street.

If you want HD you will have to change to HD for the video and enlarge it for that. The poor theater in the opening theater shot still is awaiting full restoration sadly. Still kept my attention throughout with old Chicago and a newer arriving ethnicity calling it home. Like how even passersby waved to the camera showing a bit of neighborhood spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytmI-pALWk&t=501s
I have a hard time labeling Argyle a true Viet or Asian neighborhood, despite the historic designation (much like Taylor street/little italy for instance). Yea, they dominate the commercial space on Argyle between broadway and sheridan and a block or two up and down broadway but that's about it. It's barely bigger than DC's pitiful Chinatown.

Also, the demographics around there are very mixed. Again, not that there aren't Vietnamese folks ad other Asians out there, but they're a relatively small percentage. Too small to consider it "their" neighborhood.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:34 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycomoque View Post
I have a hard time labeling Argyle a true Viet or Asian neighborhood, despite the historic designation (much like Taylor street/little italy for instance). Yea, they dominate the commercial space on Argyle between broadway and sheridan and a block or two up and down broadway but that's about it. It's barely bigger than DC's pitiful Chinatown.

Also, the demographics around there are very mixed. Again, not that there aren't Vietnamese folks ad other Asians out there, but they're a relatively small percentage. Too small to consider it "their" neighborhood.
this was my read on the neighborhood it's in the poll because it's in a central area with many transients and foot traffic. This gives it recognition with a wide array of visitors and temporary residents. But dominating one small commercial corridor is not the same as a whole community that organically there and involved in all aspects of civic life. It can be a mixed area but isn't culturally predominately Vietnamese more than just food and cell phone stores and stuff? That's the real question.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
this was my read on the neighborhood it's in the poll because it's in a central area with many transients and foot traffic. This gives it recognition with a wide array of visitors and temporary residents. But dominating one small commercial corridor is not the same as a whole community that organically there and involved in all aspects of civic life. It can be a mixed area but isn't culturally predominately Vietnamese more than just food and cell phone stores and stuff? That's the real question.
There are areas with higher populations of Vietnamese for sure then say Uptown Chicago. Still you find what it the central district of shops and eateries for say San Jose's a huge one... what do you get.... they all go to this Mall/Plaza. It is very nice..... still it is no traditional street of a urban neighborhood. It has the Mall in center and suburban developments of many in Tech etc.

Many also are within a Chinatown. Chicago has its traditional China town and given #3 status in the US with still a high traditional Chinese population that fought and won against gentrification to become far more non-Chinese. Still it is just too close to downtown and at risk.

I viewed the video the OP posted of Houston's. Part of its Chinatown region I believe it noted.... What do I view in the Video? Again, a MALL AND PLAZA areas.

So seeing that and knowing Chicago's area not IN its traditional Chinatown on the near Southside. This one I noted is on the Northside. A older long established traditional neighborhood with a traditional Shopping street. FAR FROM A MALL OR PLAZA STRIPMALL.

So though populations differ. Somehow Chicago's is part of a National Historic District too. By a legacy and not merely Asian. One of the Jazz age to Al Capone, as the heart of Hillbilly Heaven when it was the bastion of White Southern Appalachian migrations now gone. To its northern part a New Chinatown for its Asian area with Vietnamese and Thai populations mix and eateries and business NOT in a Mall-Centered new one around a suburban-type area.

Anyway, plenty of cities have smaller Vietnamese districts. Most within their Chinatowns.

San Jose.... ALL - the videos again go to this Mall/Plaza as its heart. SO it dominates vs a Chicago's street in my video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsTLxm0WKwc

***THE OP TITLED THE THREAD AS WHAT IS THE NICEST LITTLE SAIGON. So that is then Visually, by housing around its Central shopping and entertainment area... mall or street. So many will see a new MALL type as the Nicest? We all have our preferences and each is noteworthy even a smaller one in Uptown Chicago. One can post Boston's and Philadelphia's also.... California of course in population is King. Houston has its position.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:44 PM

154 posts, read 116,323 times
...chi's chinatown has that big outdoor mall (if that's what it could be called?) on cermak too though.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
...chi's chinatown has that big outdoor mall (if that's what it could be called?) on cermak too though.
I always feel... here I go again and shouldn't. Just Chicago's Viet and Thai is not claimed for its main Chinatown with Cermak Av south of Chi's downtown. There is a Viet presence and eateries though too. That is a true Chinatown though in population %. This video is in that plaza you refer to that I should not be posting here. It is only within the STREET shopping strip as a part of it and the corner of Cermak and Wentworth is the heart of Chinatown and of Chicago’s Chinese community with sections and the plaza is off of it.

It is not that big like a SJ Mall center etc. It is nice.... very COMPACT and not like a Grand one with parking all though it in front of all the sections and stores. You walk in and out this tight plaza in Chicago's Chinatown you say has a Mall too. This shows some walking though it. I read that Covid hit its shops hard though and is going to build back of course as Chi is opening up quickly now. This is from still covid era last summer. The short video WALKS THOUGH IT and out. Back out on a city street again. Video is only of this outdoor plaza and not the Chinatown center heart and just within it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gMmV4Qag4

I posted the Chicago Uptown section on Argyle Av and a Vietnamese/Thai/Asian not huge District in a true city neighborhood also with a population and shops and eateries. Clearly, it is Old Chicago though not the oldest. It is a area with a lot of history predating the influx of Asians. I noted it is on the NATIONAL Historic designation Register neighborhood for a variety of reasons from the Al Capone era,and the old Green Mill Jazz-club still open.... he had is own booth in and rumored private basement tunnel out if needed. The area once known as Redneck Heaven of the white Appalachian migration period I noted, that is gone now and the current one more Asian today and others. That neighborhood even was a original Hollywood with Charlie Chaplain's Essanay film studio there he owned when he was king of the silent movie era.... that building still stands and around the corner from the Green Mill jazz club and the long-shuttered Uptown Theatre (once one of the world’s great movie palaces). The theater was like on the face picture of the video I posted and video eventually walks by. Hopefully it is restored. Some of these old movie palaces are awaiting a savior and this is one of them in the city and country looking for one. Those downtown still standing did. Last one in my hometown was lost.

Like I said, this Vietnamese area I used in a previous video.... is not boasted by far as largest one as in booming cities and Tech hubs. Is not a rich area though it has wealth around it in some prime neighborhoods and Lakefront. For some reasons it remained a odd against the mode neighborhood. As if the nicest looking the OP asked.... probably no one would say so. Still clearly old school and nice.

Anyway, hopefully this is not seen as some off post to delete and risk trouble. Just commenting to a comment...

Old 05-05-2021, 07:57 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:

Yeah, Taylor Street is not the real Little Italy in Chicago. It is the touristy definition, and at one time it was, but another Chicago poster clarified that the stretch of Harlem Ave, from North Ave to the Kennedy Expressway (this area spans Chicago, and parts of Elmwood Park, Norridge, and Harwood Heights) is the true "Little Italy," although it's not defined.

Argyle, while pretty small, is a really authentic area of Vietanamese (and Chinese) restaurants/shops. It's got a really authentic feel to it. It's not huge like Chinatown, but it's authentic, so I do consider it a true Viet enclave. I wouldn't call it a "neighborhood" though. It's not big enough.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, Taylor Street is not the real Little Italy in Chicago. It is the touristy definition, and at one time it was, but another Chicago poster clarified that the stretch Harlem Ave, from North Ave to the Kennedy Expressway (this area spans Chicago, and parts of Elmwood Park, Norridge, and Harwood Heights) is the true "Little Italy," although it's not defined.

Argyle, while pretty small, is a really authentic area of Vietanamese (and Chinese) restaurants/shops. It's got a really authentic feel to it. It's not huge like Chinatown, but it's authentic, so I do consider it a true Viet enclave. I wouldn't call it a "neighborhood" though. It's not big enough.
Yes the OP noted Chicago was below his tier 2 on SIZE of Vietnamese. Still even in Wikipedia under IL though... Chicago does get a mention among many for this area of Uptown I noted... and why not I would ask?

From the Wiki.
- Argyle Street in the city of Chicago contains a Little Saigon district, and it has become - the hub of vibrant Vietnamese culture in the city. It is referred to by Chicagoans as the "New Chinatown", little Saigon, or most commonly Argyle. Argyle is easily accessible from the CTA Red Line's Argyle station.

That is actually - Asia on Argyle as a city noted name for this Little Saigon also.... and of course CTA red-line is the L train line in Uptown with Little Saigon and heads to downtown Chicago going by Wrigley Field on the way.

I also noted the Norridge, Elmwood Park, Norwood Park Chicago side and others in threads for Polish Chicagoans and Italians also seemed to flock together by White-Flight (I lived in and between these neighborhoods literally in the 1980s on the Northwest side so I knew) Some Southwest side neighborhoods also with a high Polish/Italian ethnic population. Seems both the Polish and Italians by White Flight in some of the same suburbs and northwest and southwest sides of Chicago areas that were newer in the 1950s early 60s.

Official #3 Chinatown of the US south of downtown Chicago in the city is really not recognized for Vietnamese.... it has some. Why the city recognizes Asia on Argyle St district of Uptown for one and YouTube videos note it as mine did.

All Chicagoans basically know that Little Italy is a remnant name basically today. That's America folks. Now even the so called TOP Vietnamese neighborhoods are like just suburbs with a central Mall as Heart. Chicago still recognizes some of these more newly transformed by a new ethnicity neighborhoods and THEY NOW ARE calling it home in Chicago, and has the city note these newer Asian blocks as Districts like - Little Saigon/Asia on Argyle, Little India and Pakistan on Devon Av and still the main kahoona of official Chinatown. A city should and does not matter if it is HUGE on a National scale....

Link that says a lot.... sorry if this goes a bit off Asian at least....

Title: Arrivederci, Little Italy? Adio, Greektown? Two of Chicago’s global dining destinations struggle to save their souls.

* Chicago Tribune newspaper link... after 3 free looks a month view... you get a paywall up to subscribe.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...l54-story.html

From link,
-Red sauce and wine still flow on Little Italy’s Taylor Street, and the saganaki still flames on Greektown’s strip of Halsted.

- But there is less Italian and Greek heritage on the menu these days on two of Chicago’s best-known dining corridors.

- "We have tourists come in and ask, ‘Where is Little Italy?'" said Ralph Davino, third-generation owner of Pompei, one of a handful of Italian restaurants that remain on Taylor Street. “I have to tell them it’s gone."

- The Italian and Greek flair that distinguished those neighborhoods has been ebbing for years, a result of changes in demographics and consumers' palates.

- The booming Fulton Market district nearby and encroaching real estate development added new pressures. Some worry the pandemic will be the final straw.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:23 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
I actually finally got back to Ba Le just a few days ago for the first time in at least 2 years. Just as good as I remember, and the place was packed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City