Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most ridiculed
Portland 20 5.73%
Jacksonville 8 2.29%
Tampa 3 0.86%
Phoenix 7 2.01%
Cleveland 116 33.24%
Oakland 4 1.15%
Detroit 144 41.26%
Pittsburgh 3 0.86%
Cincinnati 2 0.57%
Newark 17 4.87%
Other 25 7.16%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 09:16 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,445,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The general view of midwesterners is almost entirely hard working blue collar real Americans, who may be down on their luck. It’s probably the region with the fewest negative stereotypes for the people of the region.

People like Romney and Kerry when they ran for president were explicitly attacked for being from Massachusetts . That would literally never happen to someone from Iowa or Ohio or Wisconsin. Does any states people have the reputation Floridians get? That’s ridicule because it’s based on a quirk in privacy laws not actual insanity amount residents

A lot of what some people call ridicule is just accurate observation of realties that some people don’t want to accept about the rust belt.

Everybody don't have that view of Midwesterners, there are a lot of people who think that all Midwesterners are racist and hates minorities and women, or they think that we're all poor and heavy drug users. Out of all of the regions, the Midwest and its people get the most negative stereotypes and ridicule. And, it's from everywhere: media, movies/TV, athletes, stand-up comics, social media. Even The Rust Belt is a negative term, and everybody thinks that everywhere it's all poor. Just like everyone thinks that all of The Coasts and the South are rich and there are no poor people or poverty. Romney got attacked because of his business practices and political views; Kerry really got attacked because of the Swiftboat ads not because they were from Massachusetts.

Massachusetts as a state still has great reputation among the masses. They just happened to be from there, and got scrutiny because they were running for the highest position in the free world. Bush had his share of ridicule despite being from Texas, another state that's beloved by the masses, Obama got his share and so did Hilary. If someone from Ohio, Wisconsin or Iowa decides to run for President, they're gonna get the ridicule. Nobody ridicule Floridians like they do Ohioians; Floridians, no matter their politics, are seen as hip and cool while everyone looks at Ohioans as backwards. Some people even taken shots at us by saying, "Do they have the Internet in Ohio?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 09:21 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Floridians, no matter their politics, are seen as hip and cool
uhhh

Old 07-02-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The reason why I said that because to outsiders they have the great weather, access to the beaches, sexy girls walking up and down the streets, party atmosphere. Most people wouldn't know their politics unless they were it on their sleeve. Florida and Floridians never get joked about or ridiculed. Florida is seen very favorably in pop culture than Cleveland or Ohio, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 07-02-2022 at 09:33 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 09:27 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Everybody don't have that view of Midwesterners, there are a lot of people who think that all Midwesterners are racist and hates minorities and women, or they think that we're all poor and heavy drug users. Out of all of the regions, the Midwest and its people get the most negative stereotypes and ridicule. And, it's from everywhere: media, movies/TV, athletes, stand-up comics, social media. Even The Rust Belt is a negative term, and everybody thinks that everywhere it's all poor. Just like everyone thinks that all of The Coasts and the South are rich and there are no poor people or poverty. Romney got attacked because of his business practices and political views; Kerry really got attacked because of the Swiftboat ads not because they were from Massachusetts.

Massachusetts as a state still has great reputation among the masses. They just happened to be from there, and got scrutiny because they were running for the highest position in the free world. Bush had his share of ridicule despite being from Texas, another state that's beloved by the masses, Obama got his share and so did Hilary. If someone from Ohio, Wisconsin or Iowa decides to run for President, they're gonna get the ridicule. Nobody ridicule Floridians like they do Ohioians; Floridians, no matter their politics, are seen as hip and cool while everyone looks at Ohioans as backwards. Some people even taken shots at us by saying, "Do they have the Internet in Ohio?"
This wasn’t the Daily show with John Stewart making fun of Cincinnati Chili. Or someone doing a bad Southern accent. This was Bush during a presidential debate standing up and saying “John Kerry is from Massachusetts, they’re destroying the social fabric of America”. Or Rick Perry saying Romney can’t be trusted because he is from Massachusetts.

I wouldn’t say “Florida Man” is what’s hip and cool.

You just have a victim complex, and this site has a soft spot for the rust belt

Old 07-02-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Portland isn't really pretentious though.
Why do you think Portland isn't pretentious?

Old 07-02-2022, 09:43 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,229,828 times
Quote:
The auto industry left Detroit a long time ago and Motown moved to L.A. in the '70s.
What? You can’t be serious? Detroit is still the automotive capital and has had billions of dollars in new investments in the city alone.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
This wasn’t the Daily show with John Stewart making fun of Cincinnati Chili. Or someone doing a bad Southern accent. This was Bush during a presidential debate standing up and saying “John Kerry is from Massachusetts, they’re destroying the social fabric of America”. Or Rick Perry saying Romney can’t be trusted because he is from Massachusetts.

I wouldn’t say “Florida Man” is what’s hip and cool.

You just have a victim complex, and this site has a soft spot for the rust belt

Bush or Perry couldn't talk because Texas has done its fair share of "destroying the social fabric of America." But, your home state still has a great reputation among the masses and very little ridicule. More people think of history, clam chowder, sports, universities when they think of Massachusetts. Name me one Boston or Massachusetts joke. The Florida Man folks are just stupid or twisted idiots and I wasn't referring to that type of Floridian.

I was talking about the ones that live day-to-day life in Florida without drama. Also, the point I was making was how outsiders and vacationers (especially on the Coasts and in the Midwest) view Florida and Floridians because of the access that they have. I don't have a victim complex; I'm going by what I've seen, what I know, what I've experienced in real life and online and what I've read. Plus, I don't see this "soft spot" for "The Rush Belt" on this site.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Lebron is from Akron. That's not even Cleveland. That'd be like Detroit claiming some dude from Lansing. I get the whole metro area thing, but it's not like Akron is just a suburb developed as a bedroom community, that's a city in its own right. The rubber capital of the world at one point.

And Cleveland may have forgiven him, but if anything - honestly- that's kind of an indication of how little there is in Cleveland to celebrate as the city's own. Not only is he not even really from Cleveland itself, the fact is that he's also decided to 'take his talents' to Miami and then L.A. which, you know let's be real here, most people objectively would see as an improvement in both cases. I mean surely that's as symbolic of the 'talent drain' from the Rust Belt to the Sun Belt as anything?

In any event, hanging on to one athlete is kind of very parochial regardless. Sure, all cities have their sporting heroes, most of the time they're not from there even, but no-one's in Boston is going to use Tom Brady as a symbol of their city's relevance, no-one's in the Bay Area is going to be like "man we got Steph Curry" and even though Kobe is a legit big deal in L.A., it's not like folks see that as some kind of major asset of L.A. Few people today would say Michael Jordan is what made Chicago notable even though he's obviously a big hero still. Why? Because all those cities got enough other stuff going on that you don't need to go back to an athlete as your city's calling card. Like only small towns put on their city signs "Welcome to Randomville. Home of Joe Sportsman."

And here's the thing in my mind with Cleveland. There's hundreds of cities from New England to Iowa that can be seen as Rust Belt cities that once boomed as a result of manufacturing/shipping/mining and then declined as those jobs disappeared. Cleveland is one of the bigger ones, along with places like Detroit, Milwaukee or Pittsburgh. But other than being bigger than most of them - what sets it apart in the public's mind? Detroit has cars/music, Milwaukee has beer, Pittsburgh has steel. Cleveland is XXXXtown, U.S.A.? Nobody knows. That's why the "mistake by the lake" thing stuck so easily and for so long, there just isn't really anything else to associate with it for the public.

You never been to Cleveland. Of course, you won't know anything about it living in Virginia. Also, a lot of you never took the time to get to know anything about Cleveland because a lot of you have that 1960s-1970s mindset when it comes to Cleveland.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 07-02-2022 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 12:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,789 times
Quote:
Why do you think Portland isn't pretentious?
Pretentious is defined as "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed"

I live in Portland and I don't really know anyone that fits that description at all. No one is trying to make Portland seem like a bigger, more important city than it actually is. Nor does anyone act like it's some sophisticated place.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times
Cleveland or Detroit and the polls show it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City