Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most ridiculed
Portland 20 5.73%
Jacksonville 8 2.29%
Tampa 3 0.86%
Phoenix 7 2.01%
Cleveland 116 33.24%
Oakland 4 1.15%
Detroit 144 41.26%
Pittsburgh 3 0.86%
Cincinnati 2 0.57%
Newark 17 4.87%
Other 25 7.16%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 12:58 PM

14,186 posts, read 9,080,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
That type of attitude carries into real life, it's Philadelphian "attytood".
A lot of fans take pride in being "tough" and "real" to the point where they become complete a-holes. It's gotten much better since the vet and infamous 700 level, but there's still enough of those people around that perpetuate the stereotype.

Anyways,
My point is if Philadelphia and Boston were located in the midwest, would either receive the "worst fanbase" label? I find it hard to believe Boston's fanbase is more racist than Nashvilles, Kansas City, Jacksonvilles, Denvers, Phoenix, Utah ect; . I'm not claiming Boston doesn't have any racist fans (*where there's smoke there's fire) I'm saying the racist incidents are disproportionately reported on given it's location in the NE corridor, rivalry with NYC, and winning history.

A Rockies fan calling players racial slurs or assaulting a fan would not generate the same amount of interest and clicks as a Boston or Philadelphia fan would.
You would ask this question in the presence of a KC native.

Chiefs fans may be the loudest in the NFL, but believe me, the local press would be all over them if they shouted racial slurs routinely during games at Arrowhead Stadium. (And it's not like there's no racism in Kansas City — there is; segregation in Midwestern cities is more, pardon me, black-and-white than it is in the Northeast because most Midwestern cities are divided into vast swaths where just about everyone is white on one side and swaths where just about everyone is Black on the other. And I'm sure you've read me talking about J.C. Nichols at some point or other).

Midwesterners do tend to be more polite in voicing their opinions than Northeasterners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 02:16 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,122,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You would ask this question in the presence of a KC native.

Chiefs fans may be the loudest in the NFL, but believe me, the local press would be all over them if they shouted racial slurs routinely during games at Arrowhead Stadium. (And it's not like there's no racism in Kansas City — there is; segregation in Midwestern cities is more, pardon me, black-and-white than it is in the Northeast because most Midwestern cities are divided into vast swaths where just about everyone is white on one side and swaths where just about everyone is Black on the other. And I'm sure you've read me talking about J.C. Nichols at some point or other).

Midwesterners do tend to be more polite in voicing their opinions than Northeasterners.
Scratch Kansas City and replace it with... Green Bay?.

https://morningconsult.com/2020/09/1...ographic-data/

These charts go in depth on each teams' racial and political makeup. As expected, Nashville tops both categories.

And to your credit, Boston may appear to have the most racist fanbase because of how brash and candid us North-easterners are compared to passive-aggressive and reserved Midwesterners.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,445,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
For example, Cleveland isn’t talked about much. Regardless of what people think of Cleveland, it’s certainly not everyone’s favorite punching bag anymore. I’d vote Chicago today. San Francisco is up there. As states, I’d say Alabama and Texas are up there. And as a region, it’s obviously the south.
Despite the criticism and backlash that San Fran and especially Chicago receive, they still get a lot of love and praise so that definitely offsets the ridicule. Their reputations in the U.S. and abroad are never gonna take a major hit also Texas still has a great reputation in spite of its flaws. Alabama is starting to get some good buzz with the population growth and jobs. Meanwhile, cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo and others, their reputations have taken a massive hit and the nation feels that they never moved beyond the Rust Belt image.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:19 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Despite the criticism and backlash that San Fran and especially Chicago receive, they still get a lot of love and praise so that definitely offsets the ridicule. Their reputations in the U.S. and abroad are never gonna take a major hit also Texas still has a great reputation in spite of its flaws. Alabama is starting to get some good buzz with the population growth and jobs. Meanwhile, cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo and others, their reputations have taken a massive hit and the nation feels that they never moved beyond the Rust Belt image.
You've undercut your own argument... The very fact much of the country is criticizing Chicago (I don't get the SF 'backlash,' except from right-wing conservatives who hate gays and liberals) for murder and violence, has reduced much of the negativity directed toward the Clevelands, Detroits, Buffalos, etc. There were riots in Baltimore after the death of African American Freddie Gray in police custody; Minneapolis had similar uprisings after George Floyd's murder by cops; there was a 4th of July mass shooting by some nutcase in leafy/wealthy Highland Park along Chi-town's famed North Shore suburban area; the racist mass shooting at Top's supermarket, Roe v. Wade's overturning, Trump/Jan 6th, the Tree of Life synagog bigoted shooting, Uvalde, ... and on, and on and on...

... this country has all kinds of problems all over. No city and nobody is immune. So the idea of belittling or making fun of certain seemingly unpopular cities is really seen by many as passe and a waste of time these days. So when people see that places like Chicago, Baltimore, Houston, and Philly are having issues of gun violence and extreme haves-nots poverty, it's caused a mass cognitive dissonance... How could go-to, popular and attractive places have these kinds of problems?... If anything, this has given the Cleveland/Detroit (so-called "Rustbelt") places a bye these days. In fact, these places are garnering praise by many as having hit rock bottom and, yet, are fighting back and improving substantially.

Old 07-30-2022, 01:07 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,445,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
You've undercut your own argument... The very fact much of the country is criticizing Chicago (I don't get the SF 'backlash,' except from right-wing conservatives who hate gays and liberals) for murder and violence, has reduced much of the negativity directed toward the Clevelands, Detroits, Buffalos, etc. There were riots in Baltimore after the death of African American Freddie Gray in police custody; Minneapolis had similar uprisings after George Floyd's murder by cops; there was a 4th of July mass shooting by some nutcase in leafy/wealthy Highland Park along Chi-town's famed North Shore suburban area; the racist mass shooting at Top's supermarket, Roe v. Wade's overturning, Trump/Jan 6th, the Tree of Life synagog bigoted shooting, Uvalde, ... and on, and on and on...

... this country has all kinds of problems all over. No city and nobody is immune. So the idea of belittling or making fun of certain seemingly unpopular cities is really seen by many as passe and a waste of time these days. So when people see that places like Chicago, Baltimore, Houston, and Philly are having issues of gun violence and extreme haves-nots poverty, it's caused a mass cognitive dissonance... How could go-to, popular and attractive places have these kinds of problems?... If anything, this has given the Cleveland/Detroit (so-called "Rustbelt") places a bye these days. In fact, these places are garnering praise by many as having hit rock bottom and, yet, are fighting back and improving substantially.
Sorry for the late reply, Chicago does get a lot more criticism now than it did 20 or 30 years ago. But, the main reason they started going in on Chicago because of Obama and tried to make him the scapegoat for all of Chicago's issues that had been festering below the surface for decades, which was unfair. Despite the criticism and ridicule, Chicago is still seen in a positive light to many natives and citizens alike. It hasn't stopped businesses from setting up shop there. San Fran gets its share of backlash but not like Chicago.

Cleveland and Detroit with Buffalo not too far behind still gets their share of ridicule from comedians as well as social media. Stand-up comics still make jokes about Cleveland to this day. People say that other states have had jokes made about them, but the jokes haven't shaped how people view that state. Even though, like you said that these cities are rebounding many (especially on the Coasts) can't look beyond the Rust Belt image. I definitely agree with you that no city is immune to any of these issues but I just can't stand the fact that they try to make as if the issues are exclusive to our region.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 07-30-2022 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-15-2023, 04:23 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
So… update on this thread. Lots of people said Cleveland,

New question. Has pop culture went from ridiculing just Cleveland to ridiculing Ohio in general? Because man! Ohio really seems to be the laughing stock of tik tok and YouTube and all of social media. With this #OnlyInOhio tags

Old 02-15-2023, 06:37 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
So… update on this thread. Lots of people said Cleveland,

New question. Has pop culture went from ridiculing just Cleveland to ridiculing Ohio in general? Because man! Ohio really seems to be the laughing stock of tik tok and YouTube and all of social media. With this #OnlyInOhio tags
Ohio became a red state.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:24 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Ohio became a red state.
Plenty of red states out there. Why is Ohio getting so ridiculed on social media? I thought it would just be a phase but gollee they’ve kept that one going.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:25 PM

994 posts, read 782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Ohio became a red state.
Not Cleveland's fault. Even at the metro level it was 57-43 for Biden. Add in Akron (Summit/Portage) which also went Biden but took the overall percentage to like 55-45, and the 7-county area of about 3 million swung way left of the rest of Ohio. Franklin (Columbus), Lucas (Toledo) and Hamilton (Cincinnati.... finally) were about the only significant counties that are blue.

So yes, statewide criticism of Ohio in general is warranted. Thank you voter suppression and extreme gerrymandering in taking this state from one where the GOP just had to not get destroyed in NEO to have a coin flip shot to what is now a dog-dick red at just about every level, smh.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:47 PM

106 posts, read 60,796 times
Cleveland’s motto should be “We’ll try.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City