Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities feels the most Appalachian-influenced?
Cincinnati 18 34.62%
Lexington 10 19.23%
Nashville 8 15.38%
Birmingham 4 7.69%
Atlanta 6 11.54%
Winston-Salem 6 11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 07:12 AM

771 posts, read 628,232 times

Advertisements

All of these cities are relatively close to Appalachia, even though most of them are not technically in Appalachia. Out of the cities in the poll, which one feels the most Appalachian-influenced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 08:20 AM

506 posts, read 478,406 times
No Knoxville? Pittsburgh? Asheville? I would pick none of the cities listed.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:13 AM

10,083 posts, read 14,463,858 times
I would add Knoxville, Chattanooga, Asheville, Pittsburgh, Roanoke, Huntsville and Charleston, WV to the mix.

Out of the choices provided, I went with Birmingham.

I think the #1 answer would be Charleston, WV, but it is a small city.

Nashville might seem like "a popular option" but not really today, since it is booming in many sectors not seen in Appalachia (tech, entertainment, financial, etc).

Tough to choose. I think I'd have to have more context of the definition of "Appalachia," as it relates to a city.

To me, it means slower growth, almost stagnant, and a quieter slow paced city that embraces the regional economy and influence.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:26 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,074,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
Seems like a pretty obvious part of the op to me. Which one of these not obviously Appalachian cities has the most Appalachian influence?

Old 04-22-2021, 09:34 AM

771 posts, read 628,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
I removed those from the poll because they would have been the clear winners, as they're all clearly in Appalachia.

For this thread, I want to focus on cities along the periphery of Appalachia. Cities like Winston-Salem, which is in the North Carolina Piedmont but close to the Blue Ridge. Or Lexington, which is in Bluegrass Kentucky but very close to the Appalachian coal country of eastern Kentucky.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:58 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,217,771 times
While Lexington has little resemblance to Appalachia in its natural setting or built environment, it is the closest sizable, prosperous metro area to a large number of rural counties. As a result many Appalachian people have relocated to Lexington for better job opportunities, and many others commute into the area for health care, shopping and other purposes.

The other metro areas in the poll are a bit more removed from Appalachia geographically, and have larger populations so the Appalachian regional influence is likely less on a per capita basis. I can attest that in the case of Atlanta, there are several other influences that have a more dominant presence than Appalachian.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:02 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,074,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
While Lexington has little resemblance to Appalachia in its natural setting or built environment, it is the closest sizable, prosperous metro area to a large number of rural counties. As a result many Appalachian people have relocated to Lexington for better job opportunities, and many others commute into the area for health care, shopping and other purposes.

The other metro areas in the poll are a bit more removed from Appalachia geographically, and have larger populations so the Appalachian regional influence is likely less on a per capita basis. I can attest that in the case of Atlanta, there are several other influences that have a more dominant presence than Appalachian.
Being in Lexington pretty regularly I can tell you it doesn't have much of an Appalachian feel at all. It's growth is largely people with education transplanting for the university, or a related STEM job. It's core feels more polished/cosmopolitan like a slightly larger corporate city vs. a typical college town. If it is attracting a decent amount of residents from Eastern Kentucky they aren't having a strong impact on it culturally. It feels like a smaller New South city if anything.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:29 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Seems like a pretty obvious part of the op to me. Which one of these not obviously Appalachian cities has the most Appalachian influence?
I thought that was obvious as well. Including those other cities automatically knocks the cities on the poll out of the running.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:30 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post

Cincinnati, while not in Appalachia, is only several miles away from Appalachia. Cincinnati is right next to Clermont county, which is in Appalachia.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:32 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
That said, I think I'll go with Cincinnati on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City