Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 09:17 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times

Advertisements

Which of these two cities do you like better between these two and why? I do notice that both of these cities seem to be some of the fastest growing cities in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 09:42 AM

9,684 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Close call for me. I am more familiar with Columbus and the vibe of the city is so welcoming compared to others in Ohio. The youthful energy is nice. San Antonio is underrated and offers neat attractions and history. I like San Antonio's food options as well. I would probably choose Columbus due to the less oppressive summer heat and having one of my favorite universities.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:56 AM

193 posts, read 152,508 times
If you're single and looking to date quality people, DO NOT pick San Antonio.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:21 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
They're really two separate type of cities

San Antonio has a laid-back, blue collar vibe where life revolves heavily around Tourism and the Military.

Columbus is a state capitol where life revolves heavily around a "Public Ivy" university.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:27 PM

What surprises me about San Antonio is it's the 7th largest city in the nation and Columbus is the largest city in Ohio yet these two major cities don't get mentioned a lot when it comes to them talking about big cities.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:03 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
What surprises me about San Antonio is it's the 7th largest city in the nation and Columbus is the largest city in Ohio yet these two major cities don't get mentioned a lot when it comes to them talking about big cities.
That's because San Antonio is not really 7th, it's more like 25, and Columbus is somewhere around 30.

They also don't get mentioned a lot because San Antonio at 25 has the number 4 and 5 city in the same state and Columbus isn't really the biggest in the state. It has competition from Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Houston and DFW has been bigger than SA for many decades and Cincinnati and Cleveland has been historically bigger than Columbus.

As for which I would choose... I am not a big fan of either but Columbus is closer to big cities ( Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland...) so I would go with Columbus

Old 04-25-2021, 01:44 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That's because San Antonio is not really 7th, it's more like 25, and Columbus is somewhere around 30.

They also don't get mentioned a lot because San Antonio at 25 has the number 4 and 5 city in the same state and Columbus isn't really the biggest in the state. It has competition from Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Houston and DFW has been bigger than SA for many decades and Cincinnati and Cleveland has been historically bigger than Columbus.

As for which I would choose... I am not a big fan of either but Columbus is closer to big cities ( Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland...) so I would go with Columbus
Also, they lack much of the trappings you find in major metro areas.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Metro area is not relevant if you're talking about the city itself

Old 04-25-2021, 03:00 PM

I do notice that both Columbus and San Antonio don't seem to have much areas surrounding the city limits unlike many of the other major cities, I never imagined San Antonio or Cleveland ranking very high in metropolitan areas as they are.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Metro area is not relevant if you're talking about the city itself
Metro is always relevant.
It's because metros are relevant that you can make sense out of city populations.

Columbus has about 900k people.
Slightly more than San Francisco and Charlotte and Slightly less than Jacksonville.

The only reason why SF and Charlotte come up more than Columbus and Jacksonville is because the Metros of the former cities elevate them past the latter two.

Same with San Antonio. The last estimate had San Antonio 30k below Philadelphia. That was numbers estimated from July 2019. It's probably safe to say that they are dead even in city population right now, but because of the cache of its Metro, San Antonio doesn't come close to Philadelphia.

So the surrounding Metro is definitely relevant no matter what you are discussing about the main city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City