Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I go?
Houston, TX 13 37.14%
Nashville, TN 15 42.86%
Huntsville, AL 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 3,832 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I posted this in the Houston forum but bringing it over here as well to see what y'all think.

I am making a move away from Phoenix, AZ next month into temporary housing in Trinity, TX but then will need to make a permanent relocation SOMEWHERE. I am up in the air on staying in Texas, however.

I'm from West Texas with my family stretching from East Texas into Louisiana. I've spent a lot of my childhood in the various Texas cities and have always been very drawn to Houston. In my early 20's I spent a lot of time in Atlanta, GA (which I loved) and when my time there ended and I found myself back in Phoenix, I knew I wanted to make my permanent move back to the South.

I've been looking into going to either Nashville, TN (with the con being that it seems to be too expensive to rent right now), Huntsville, AL (close to big cities but cheaper housing, though it is more remote and lack of a major airport), and Houston, TX (which seemed to be the best mix I've found of all of that other than Atlanta, which I wouldn't move back to for personal reasons). My family is all in Dallas now so I'd prefer not to stretch into the Carolinas, I know I left out Charlotte.

In sharing with friends and family my location ideas, I've had it beat into me that Texas is NOT the South and I feel like my whole identity has come into question haha. The time I've spent in Houston is somewhat significant but a lot of that was when I was a child and when I've gone as an adult it felt Southern but I don't know what living there would be like.

I know Texas is Texas and I'm very proud to be a Texan, regardless of wherever else I've lived. But can I get some thoughts on what I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 11:43 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Do you need to find employment in either of the cities or are you working remotely?

If employment is not an issue, and not knowing really what your hobbies or things you enjoy doing are, I would personally pick Nashville out of the 3, for you.

Why? Because you've spent a ton of time in Houston before, so get a new experience in a booming city with tons of entertainment with Nashville.

Huntsville, Alabama is a decent city that is growing, but it feels small, and is pretty small, compared to these 2.

If aiming for that part of the country near Huntsville, I'd go with Chattanooga. It is so much better than Huntsville in my opinion, and has a lot to do both indoors and out.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:47 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times
I like Tennessee a lot, it’s got a lot to offer so if it were me I’d pick booming Nashville. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Do you need to find employment in either of the cities or are you working remotely?
No issue with employment at this point, I work remotely!

As for hobbies, I like there being a good mix of outdoor activities and city life. I'm not an avid hiker or anything so just somewhere I can go hang out in the lake and fish but can also be near shopping/cute restaurants and such.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:50 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times
Nashville, for sure.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:54 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmarci14 View Post
Hi there,

I posted this in the Houston forum but bringing it over here as well to see what y'all think.

I am making a move away from Phoenix, AZ next month into temporary housing in Trinity, TX but then will need to make a permanent relocation SOMEWHERE. I am up in the air on staying in Texas, however.

I'm from West Texas with my family stretching from East Texas into Louisiana. I've spent a lot of my childhood in the various Texas cities and have always been very drawn to Houston. In my early 20's I spent a lot of time in Atlanta, GA (which I loved) and when my time there ended and I found myself back in Phoenix, I knew I wanted to make my permanent move back to the South.

I've been looking into going to either Nashville, TN (with the con being that it seems to be too expensive to rent right now), Huntsville, AL (close to big cities but cheaper housing, though it is more remote and lack of a major airport), and Houston, TX (which seemed to be the best mix I've found of all of that other than Atlanta, which I wouldn't move back to for personal reasons). My family is all in Dallas now so I'd prefer not to stretch into the Carolinas, I know I left out Charlotte.

In sharing with friends and family my location ideas, I've had it beat into me that Texas is NOT the South and I feel like my whole identity has come into question haha. The time I've spent in Houston is somewhat significant but a lot of that was when I was a child and when I've gone as an adult it felt Southern but I don't know what living there would be like.

I know Texas is Texas and I'm very proud to be a Texan, regardless of wherever else I've lived. But can I get some thoughts on what I should do?
Just out of curiosity OP, if your family is all in Dallas now, is there any reason why you're not considering moving there?

Old 04-28-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Just out of curiosity OP, if your family is all in Dallas now, is there any reason why you're not considering moving there?
I've thought about it but I really loved the deep south culture and taller, denser trees in Atlanta when I lived there and I don't necessarily get that vibe from Dallas. Though, I'm willing to have just not been to the right places.

Houston has seemed most comparable to Atlanta in those ways, with Nashville seeming to be more of an "upper south" feel but maintaining more of that greenery I loved in Atlanta.

Not opposed to it, though! Open to convincing haha.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:06 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
From what you described, I'd go with Houston. To me, being near family is very important. Great mix of what you're looking for overall (closet to family, affordable, lots to do). If my family lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I'd actually move there. I love all of those areas, but seems like Houston would meet your needs and desires better. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2021, 02:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,216,731 times
I would choose Huntsville. Pretty great city, very safe (safer than the other two cities). Growing pretty rapidly, doesn't have the traffic problems of the other cities. Not to far away from the nightlife of Birmingham or Nashville (not to mention it has its own quality nightlife). Houston, to me, just seems overrated, just the next Los Angeles.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:24 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
I would choose Huntsville too. Huntsville growing fast, lower crime, more affordable housing, lower cost of living, and great value. The city has nice hiking and greenways, decent shopping, and food options. I know the city well and it is attracting a lot of professional young people. Larger airport and better infrastructure than Chattanooga.

Helpful links:

https://www.huntsville.org/things-to...to-huntsville/

https://www.al.com/news/2021/04/100-...rovidence.html

https://www.facebook.com/people/New-...0057149241920/

https://www.downtownhuntsville.org/

https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/develop...ing/greenways/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City