Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2022, 09:21 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Yea, for the US, Chicago's nicer, urban neighborhoods are a goddamn steal as are Philadelphia's. We just don't have all that much in nice, urban neighborhoods in the US in proportion to our population and most of what we have gets bid up to pretty extreme prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, for the US, Chicago's nicer, urban neighborhoods are a goddamn steal as are Philadelphia's. We just don't have all that much in nice, urban neighborhoods in the US in proportion to our population and most of what we have gets bid up to pretty extreme prices.
There is no doubt.

Chicago is the best balance I have found. Lincoln Park is gorgeous, with mass appeal and so much going on. And, many can afford to live there comfortably.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The new apartments in nice areas of Boston are 3-7000 a month. Its not wildly cheaper than that?

Shooot Hub35 in Dorchester START at 2600 for a studio. This is Dorchester. Rents go up to $5,813 ...in Dorchester. Dont get me started on neighborhoods that dont have a 25% poverty rate and arent 70% BIPOC..

https://www.gables.com/communities/m...5/#floor-plans
^ This. New units are $1600 for a 500sqft studio in Chicago, in a high rise. Those are easily over 4k a month in Boston for the equivalents.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
^ This. New units are $1600 for a 500sqft studio in Chicago, in a high rise. Those are easily over 4k a month in Boston for the equivalents.
I mean the sale price per sqft floats between 1.7k and 2.2k in Seaport.

That's ~$1M per every 500 square feet...?

I really enjoy what Seaport has become, to visit. But I'll live in West Loop all day. Seaport is filled with foreign money, big pharma, and tech "moguls".

Old 01-27-2022, 09:52 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Much of the cheaper prices discussed so far are for tonier, more expensive parts of the city, but one thing to note is that they're also for more affordable housing in fairly nice and urban neighborhoods as well.

For example, here's a 2BR in Albany Park less than an hour away from downtown by mass transit and less than a $1,000 a month:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...79116361_zpid/

There are tons of neighborhoods that aren't the kind of dilapidated warzones that some people paint Chicago as, but are rather great urban and walkable neighborhoods that may not be as well-heeled as Lincoln Park, but are fantastic in their own right.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:54 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I mean the sale price per sqft floats between 1.7k and 2.2k in Seaport.

That's ~$1M per every 500 square feet...?

I really enjoy what Seaport has become, to visit. But I'll live in West Loop all day. Seaport is filled with foreign money, big pharma, and tech "moguls".
Seaport is still developing, but i like other “new” neighborhoods in Boston better.

And yeah, Chicago has better (the best IMO) Neighborhoods.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:59 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Seaport is not even fun to visit: like what’s the draw? I guess restaurants and the water at once. But there so many restaurants and so much water in Boston.

Newbury/Copley/Downtown Crossing are more interesting because there a greater diveristy of people in terms of locals, tourists, college students and yes racially. There are also many restaurant but much more retail than the Seaport.

Seaport is kind of overly repetitive and way to homogenous in terms of age, income, race o if it’s visitors. Not very inclusive or stimulating. Only reason I go there is to get my thumbs printed or to get on a Harbor cruise.

It also pains me to have to look directly into the face of a broken promise by my city. Like a real physical stomach churn. Seaport is 80% not what they told us it would be.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:02 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Much of the cheaper prices discussed so far are for tonier, more expensive parts of the city, but one thing to note is that they're also for more affordable housing in fairly nice and urban neighborhoods as well.

For example, here's a 2BR in Albany Park less than an hour away from downtown by mass transit and less than a $1,000 a month:

There are tons of neighborhoods that aren't the kind of dilapidated warzones that some people paint Chicago as, but are rather great urban and walkable neighborhoods that may not be as well-heeled as Lincoln Park, but are fantastic in their own right.
Tbh even much of the Chicago war zones (I’d say that an appropriate term) look pretty damn good. It has some tougher areas but the majority of the ghetto really looks pretty stately and clean at least when I’ve seen it on TV or in street view. Often times better looking than the Boston hoods. And unlike other midwestern cities they raze building swiftly and efficiently. And the remaining lots don’t get too ratty either.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:

The entire inland neighborhoods on Chicago's North Side are very nice. And no more dangerous than the average American community. They feel like suburbans, but you have access to the L and aren't under the rule of a village.

Check out Sauganash. Gorgeous neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9924...7i16384!8i8192

(Old) Norwood Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9896...7i16384!8i8192

Edison Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0067...7i16384!8i8192

(Old) Irving Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9509...7i16384!8i8192

Old 01-27-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Seaport is not even fun to visit: like what’s the draw? I guess restaurants and the water at once. But there so many restaurants and so much water in Boston.

Newbury/Copley/Downtown Crossing are more interesting because there a greater diveristy of people in terms of locals, tourists, college students and yes racially. There are also many restaurant but much more retail than the Seaport.

Seaport is kind of overly repetitive and way to homogenous in terms of age, income, race o if it’s visitors. Not very inclusive or stimulating. Only reason I go there is to get my thumbs printed or to get on a Harbor cruise.

It also pains me to have to look directly into the face of a broken promise by my city. Like a real physical stomach churn. Seaport is 80% not what they told us it would be.
I mean, it's a nice, modern facelift and extension from the cities core. I don't view it as much more than that. But it's still being developed.. I think it's exciting, at least for a certain demographic in Boston, to feel "a part of it".

It's got some great food extending back to Fort Point, which in my mind, is still Seaport.

People like the urban green space, water views, the rooftops, the latest / rotational boutique shopping. That stuff sells man, and Seaport has it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City