Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 06:04 PM

291 posts, read 201,962 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Chicago for about 8 years, the majority of my time has been spent in neighborhoods such as the Gold Coast, Streeterville, and River North. I lived briefly in Lakeview, but never really ventured to the North side where all the quaint neighborhoods were, aside from when I had to do errands.

That being said, I loved downtown Chicago. I've always been interested in Boston, and what I don't understand is how Boston's city compares to Chicago when you're considering ONLY the neighborhoods I suggested.

Most people when they compare Chicago to Boston, compare the entirety of Chicago which includes it's north/south neighborhoods, as well as it's suburbs. I'm looking to understand what the comparison is when you're considering only downtown Chicago, because if I were to move to Boston, I wouldn't be routinely going to other parts of the city.

So essentially, what I'm trying to find out is, how do the best parts of Boston compare to Gold Coast/Streeterville/River North?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 07:58 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Im familiar with both.
There really is no comparison of most of Chicago's North Side in Boston. Most of Chicago is grid anyway, where Boston is swirly cow paths... so that alone, is going to make Boston a hard comparison. Chicago's Northside is also incredibly diverse and inclusive for miles. There really is no comparison in Boston

My best shop. (All images posted will be of Boston, since you know what Chicago's neighborhoods already look like)
Seaport Boston <--> West Loop Chicago
Streeterville Chicago <--> Fort Point Boston? idk.. no real comparison
The Loop Chicago<--> Financial District Boston
Old Town, Chicago <--> Back Bay
Boystown Chicago <--> South End Boston
Chinatown <--> Chinatown
Fenway Area <--> Wrigleyville
Mattapan <--> Austin Chicago
Dorchester <--> Bronzeville and Hyde Park Chicago
Rogers Park, Chicago compares well to Hyde Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2558...7i16384!8i8192 (Looks like a less dense Clark Street)
Evanston <--> Cambridge MA

In general Boston and Chicago have a lot of similarities when it comes to cleanliness in the core and vibrancy (in a way..).

In my opinion, Boston's best is very polished. But, sorry, Chicago's best neighborhoods win hands down. I love Chicago and im a 'Chicago booster', but I think the neighborhoods around Chicago that you mentioned one up Boston in general. I think Boston's old money neighborhoods like South End, North End and Beacon Hill look more European-y and polished. However, they are a lot smaller and less vibrant.

So in general? Boston;'s nicest may be more polished. But Chicago's are more vibrant, cooler and larger in general.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:31 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Im familiar with both.
There really is no comparison of most of Chicago's North Side in Boston. Most of Chicago is grid anyway, where Boston is swirly cow paths... so that alone, is going to make Boston a hard comparison. Chicago's Northside is also incredibly diverse and inclusive for miles. There really is no comparison in Boston

Evanston <--> Cambridge MA
Isn't Evanston a little far from DT Chicago to be Chitown's Cambridge? Outside of its downtown, it also seems a lot more suburban; population and density-wise it's closer to Brookline than it is to Cambridge.

From pictures and from the streetviews I've seen shared on this site, Chicago's North Side seems like Camberville (Cambridge+Somerville) and the OP might be interested in checking the pair out. The city's on my list to visit by year's end, so hopefully I'll be able to chime in with a more complete comparison later.

Edit: ah, whenever I hear "North Side" I assume they mean places like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wrigleyville. River North, Streeterview, and Gold Coast are practically dead center in the city by the looks of things. Best Boston comps would be more like the Seaport, Back Bay, Bulfinch Triangle, Bay Village, no?

Edit2: Yes, seems that the OP specifically left out Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Wrigleyville, and doesn't want to know about urban neighborhoods. The central neighborhoods in Boston are generally kind of ritzy and touristy. They're beautiful, but can be hit or miss when it comes to energy. Boylston Street and Newbury Street are the main drags in Back Bay. Columbus and Tremont are for the South End, with a newish hub on the northern end of Harrison too. Washington Street is the main retail drag downtown and it sort of connects Downtown Crossing with Chinatown and the Theater District. Mass Ave is the western boundary of Boston's central areas.

Quote:
Mattapan <--> Austin Chicago
Dorchester <--> Bronzeville and Hyde Park Chicago
Rogers Park, Chicago compares well to Hyde Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2558...7i16384!8i8192 (Looks like a less dense Clark Street)
Mmmm...yeah. More I read over the OP the more I'm a bit confused about what they're asking. Surely the outer residential areas of Boston like HP aren't comparable to downtown Chicago at all.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 05-16-2021 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 09:03 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,322 times
Quote:
Im familiar with both.

In my opinion, Boston's best is very polished. But, sorry, Chicago's best neighborhoods win hands down. I love Chicago and im a 'Chicago booster', but I think the neighborhoods around Chicago that you mentioned one up Boston in general. I think Boston's old money neighborhoods like South End, North End and Beacon Hill look more European-y and polished. However, they are a lot smaller and less vibrant.

So in general? Boston;'s nicest may be more polished. But Chicago's are more vibrant, cooler and larger in general.
I completely agree, and I lived in one, and have spent a lot of time work/fun in the other (CHI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The city's on my list to visit by year's end, so hopefully I'll be able to chime in with a more complete comparison later.
Until then....

Old 05-16-2021, 09:17 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Yeah im a little bit confused by what exactly your asking because im not too familiar with Chicago as I am Boston

Also Boston Shudra, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville and Lake View are the best for a bisit. They are just fun and really neat. Its like what Boston should be. Looks like Mass a bit.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah im a little bit confused by what exactly your asking because im not too familiar with Chicago as I am Boston

Also Boston Shudra, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville and Lake View are the best for a bisit. They are just fun and really neat. Its like what Boston should be. Looks like Mass a bit.
I love the mix of uses and vibe of LP and Wrigleyville.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:21 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
Oh God not another one. It will go on for a while.... These 3 neighborhoods of Chicago the OP mentions have 2 that the city officially calls its CBD and one is mostly North of the CBD or Downtown. This need not compare much more. The thread will go off in every direction otherwise but for in the the bay and airport or the lake.... Clearly, it is on housing stock, look, city-scape, retail and living options. COL was not asked but perhaps could be hit on.... just not Evanston or Cambridge and maybe if the thread goes on for segments and segments of 10.... a tangent on some more neighborhoods.... not right off the bat.

- Streeterville neighborhood IS DOWNTOWN CHICAGO.
- River North IS DOWNTOWN CHICAGO just north of the Loop and River.
- Gold Coast neighborhood a couple blocks ARE in the CBD the rest NO ... it is mostly residential so not considered the CBD officially by the city of Chicago.

The OP even knew what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
That being said, I loved downtown Chicago. I've always been interested in Boston, and what I don't understand is how Boston's city compares to Chicago when you're considering ONLY the neighborhoods I suggested.

Most people when they compare Chicago to Boston, compare the entirety of Chicago which includes it's north/south neighborhoods, as well as it's suburbs. I'm looking to understand what the comparison is when you're considering only downtown Chicago, because if I were to move to Boston, I wouldn't be routinely going to other parts of the city.

So essentially, what I'm trying to find out is, how do the best parts of Boston compare to Gold Coast/Streeterville/River North?

Old 05-16-2021, 09:24 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Until then....
Covid permitting of course. Wouldn't make sense to go all the way if I couldn't do the things on my list. Do you have any suggestions of things to do when I'm there? Preferably no faux dive bars with roasted brussels sprouts, please!

Quote:
Which is why they sound like Camberville to me. Those cities are urban Mass at its best, imo.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Covid permitting of course. Wouldn't make sense to go all the way if I couldn't do the things on my list. Do you have any suggestions of things to do when I'm there? Preferably no faux dive bars with roasted brussels sprouts, please!

Which is why they sound like Camberville to me. Those cities are urban Mass at its best, imo.
Millennium Park, AIC, the Northwestern area, Arlington Park, Iwan Ries, the design center (forget the formal name), Museum of Sci and Industry, LP, Wrigleyville, Bridgeport.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:32 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F3Hnkhw0fw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City