Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 09:33 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times

Advertisements

Whatever set of boundaries the City (either) uses for planning or various administrative functions....why would that affect what others consider "downtown" in either case?

City governments do these things for their own very narrow purposes.

I keep harping on this, I know. But it's a CDism that just keeps coming up. The real world doesn't work this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 09:37 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
^And here's the same Youtuber's video for Boston:

Old 05-16-2021, 09:39 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,885 times
I haven't seen too too much, but Wicker Park as well.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:19 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Whatever set of boundaries the City (either) uses for planning or various administrative functions....why would that affect what others consider "downtown" in either case?

City governments do these things for their own very narrow purposes.

I keep harping on this, I know. But it's a CDism that just keeps coming up. The real world doesn't work this way.
Thread off the bat went to comparing multiple neighborhoods and even Evanston IL a suburb to Cambridge... a town outside the city proper I believe. It is used as in the city so often I do not even know anymore....

Every city knows its minimum that it sees as its downtown. It does not need to go 5-miles outward beyond it. Why would the OP say ONLY THESE NEIGHBORHOODS HE MENTIONS????

Most of us know if we use a size that Real Estate sights claim.... as downtown living? It is a much Greater Core then is reasonable sometimes. Still the OP gave three neighborhood.

At least this is what Chicago Realty list and for luxury living downtown Chicago.

https://www.luxurychicagoapartments....ds-to-live-in/

What it says of criteria of its 7 neighborhoods it uses.
-As Chicago real estate experts, we are always asked by our clients “What are the best Chicago neighborhoods to live in?”

Instead, Luxury Living Chicago likes to focus on what we call the downtown "core" neighborhoods. These are the seven neighborhoods that surround the city center and business district of Chicago. We believe these downtown Chicago neighborhoods are the best place in Chicago to live.

What Are the Neighborhoods in Downtown Chicago?
There are seven neighborhoods that comprise downtown Chicago.

They are as follows: (note the 3 of the OP is the first 3 from that link)

River North
Gold Coast
Streeterville
Lakeshore East
The Loop
West Loop
South Loop

Do we really need to bring Cambridge in across the river for the core of Boston? It is larger the then whole greater core.... sure a part if it is a must.... still where does this Greater Boston ever end then?

https://www.bostonusa.com/plan/boston-neighborhoods/

So using this link.... I think it is clear at the tip of the peninsula that is home to downtown Boston. A REASONABLE area at most to use. Otherwise everything to Dorchester+ to Chelsea will get brought in.

There has to be a Greater downtown Boston. Key neighborhoods that a reference point can be made.

Still the OP used 3 for Chicago. THREE TO COMPARE TO SOMETHING IN OR BY DOWNTOWN BOSTON. Guess there is no such thing as using 3 for Boston. Maybe 6 then?

Old 05-16-2021, 10:26 PM

291 posts, read 201,925 times
So, the reason I chose those three areas of Chicago in particular is because that's where I lived and enjoyed spending most of my time. It was the most diverse part of Chicago, where I might've met professionals around my age. It was the area where there was a fair bit of tourism, nice buildings, nice amenities, shops, restaurants, and places to see. I lived right off Michigan ave.

The reason for my interest in Boston is as follows:

Dating.. I've been dating in Chicago for something like 4-5 years. Want to date women on the east coast.
Proximity to places for weekend trips
Ability to meet other highly educated professionals
Getting away from the midwest
Less rise in crime.. as apparently crime is starting to spread to the Northside of Chicago
A new experience

What I don't want to do is move to Boston if it doesn't compare to those 3 neighborhoods. If the quantity/diversity of dating options isn't as good, if the crime is just as questionable, and the areas aren't as accessible.. might just stay in Chicago or find some other place on the east coast.

NYC was my #1, but after carefully considering cost of living, crime, and more importantly the possibility of contracting some new strain of COVID, decided to hold off until things get better.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
What I don't want to do is move to Boston if it doesn't compare to those 3 neighborhoods. If the quantity/diversity of dating options isn't as good, if the crime is just as questionable, and the areas aren't as accessible.. might just stay in Chicago or find some other place on the east coast.
Dating apps and bars will probably be more dominated by college students and recent grads in Boston than in Chicago. Crime downtown isn’t really an issue. Accessibility is good downtown in Boston but the offerings are probably more staid than what you’re used to.

There was a thread either here or in the Boston sub forum that was basically “should I move to Boston until covid blows over in NYC”. And my answer is the same: that while great, Boston isn’t a substitute for NYC and it’s also been hurt by covid. If NYC was your ideal, I don’t know if Boston will be enough for you. It’s also not much cheaper, especially in the downtown neighborhoods.

My vote is just go for NYC. The crime rate really isn't that bad.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:27 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
I think the one big area Boston is strongest in, is proximity to day trips. Its probably the best major city for the variety/proximity and access of things to do outside the West Coast. And that is a huge draw, with beaches, coastal towns, mountains, hills, skiing etc within an hours reach.

That I can give Boston.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:09 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Best parts of Boston for what purpose? One thing about Boston's urban core is that there's a decent amount of it that's actually outside of Boston proper in neighboring Cambridge and Somerville as Boston's legal boundaries aren't as expansive as Chicago's and its downtown core is actually at one of its municipal boundary edges next to Cambridge--it'd be a tiny bit like if the Loop were centered and developed way up on the Northside next to neighboring Evanston.

Your probably looking for areas like Back Bay, Beacon Hill and North End for quaint and Seaport District for new construction in Boston and close-in parts with transit access like the Central stop in Cambridge.

Since we've got a bunch of Bostonians here, just going to ask when they're going to cap the Mass Turnpike. Damn thing's all trenched with many "blocks" of it with only a single block having a ramp between Clarendon and Harrison. C'mon.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:13 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Best parts of Boston for what purpose? One thing about Boston's urban core is that there's a decent amount of it that's actually outside of Boston proper in neighboring Cambridge and Somerville as Boston's legal boundaries aren't as expansive as Chicago's and its downtown core is actually at one of its municipal boundary edges next to Cambridge--it'd be a tiny bit like if the Loop were centered and developed way up on the Northside next to neighboring Evanston.

Your probably looking for areas like Back Bay, Beacon Hill and North End for quaint and Seaport District for new construction in Boston and close-in parts with transit access like the Central stop in Cambridge.

Since we've got a bunch of Bostonians here, just going to ask when they're going to cap the Mass Turnpike. Damn thing's all trenched with many "blocks" of it with only a single block having a ramp between Clarendon and Harrison. C'mon.
When you say cap. Do you mean build over it? They currently are building over in two parts. Parcel 7 and Parcel 12.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:23 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
So essentially, what I'm trying to find out is, how do the best parts of Boston compare to Gold Coast/Streeterville/River North?
I mean, if you like living in Gold Coast/River North/Streeterville, you'll certainly like Seaport. I'd rather Seaport or Gold Coast, myself. Unfortunately, Seaport has changed so drastically and with so much velocity, much of the street views aren't available.

Seaport:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3548...!7i8704!8i4352
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3530...7i16384!8i8192

River North is downtown Chicago. I'm not big on living right downtown. Streeterville is downtown Chicago, without as many benefits as River North.

Boston's comparable downtown living areas include the West End/North Station area of Boston. Similar to River North and Streeterville, there is a fair amount of luxury buildings, and it offers easy access to the North End and to Cambridge. You could also consider living in Faneuil/Post Office Square, which falls just north of Boston's main Financial District. Again, a lot of mid and high rise living options. But again, I'm not a downtown living guy.. So, that wouldn't be my reccomendation.

West End: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3651...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3645...7i16384!8i8192

Downtown Boston:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3567...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3578...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3584...!7i8704!8i4352

As the best alternative, aside from Seaport, you could look into Back Bay near either Copley or the Prudential. The inner parts of Back Bay are more neighborhoody, with a lot of upscale shopping, restaurants, and bars. But it does have pockets of mid and high rises that have give a very central, downtown feel.

Copley: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3500...7i16384!8i8192
Prudential: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3483...7i16384!8i8192
Newbury Street: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3500...7i16384!8i8192
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City