Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 10:47 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The key to any poor neighborhood looking decent is for people to actually
Live there. The reason a lot of Midwest cities look bad is because they’re very depopulation. Some bad neighborhoods are probably like ~75-80% down in population.

As long as people actually live in just about every building there the places tend to look okay.

Boston, New Haven, Chicago got full of immigrants to replenish empty units. Kept the neighborhoods at least serviceable
It’s more than that. It’s also the level of affluence. The Boston wage scale is so high and there is such a labor shortage that people in Dorchester are earning a pretty high income compared to economically failed cities. It looks way nicer in Dorchester than an economic wasteland like New Bedford or Fall River where people are getting paid minimum wage with no benefits. Sure, rents are higher but that also means that landlords can better afford to maintain their properties. New Bedford and Fall River don’t have vacant apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 11:00 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
Its the middle of February and Boston only has 2 murders. And those 2 murders are in the typical hood areas of the city (Roxbury and Dorchestor). Boston is incredibly for a major city. And it's economy is wayyyy to white collar and wealthy to ever become philly/baltimore. Isn't Boston the biotech capital of the world? Also the academic capital of the country, city pumps out Harvard/MIT grads yearly. It's a beauitful historic city, the most european city in the country. These let's go brandon/conservative types are f*cking brain dead. Wish my city could be like Boston.
All true. But there is some considerable crime in Downtown Crossing. I do know someone was stabbed there a week ago. You may also here a peep about crime aroundother areas with a lot of local shoppers or homeless people like North Station or Back Bay https://universalhub.com/crime/back-bay.html most of it isnt gang related or violent though.

Outside of downtown Crossing and occasional late-night in Chinatown in Theatre District, there's not much going on. For sure most of the crime is in Dorchester Roxbury Mattapan and Hyde Park.

Relative to Boston's uber pristine and safe wealthy suburbs-Downtown Crossing will make some people uncomfortable. But most downtownplaces like Fenway, FiDi, Seaport, Longwood, North End, West End are basically crime-free zones.

To be fair to Baltimore downtown looks like the pits but I really don't read or hear of much crime down there not even compared to Bostons downtown. But 80% of Baltimore is pretty jarring if your gonna compare it to Boston. Whole nother world socioeconmically.

People rag on Boston because there isnt much of a middle class and the schools are a total mess- worse than what they were 10 years ago. The rest is xenophobic/racist hate from the white bread burbs. In the past I would say Boston had a legitimate crime problem do to the intensity in Rox/Dot/Matt but its been reeled into the point where Id say its actualy "safe" now since maybe 2017... Many folks simply dont like that Boston adapts a lot of far-left policy.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:23 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
All true. But there is some considerable crime in Downtown Crossing. I do know someone was stabbed there a week ago. You may also here a peep about crime aroundother areas with a lot of local shoppers or homeless people like North Station or Back Bay https://universalhub.com/crime/back-bay.html most of it isnt gang related or violent though.

Outside of downtown Crossing and occasional late-night in Chinatown in Theatre District, there's not much going on. For sure most of the crime is in Dorchester Roxbury Mattapan and Hyde Park.

Relative to Boston's uber pristine and safe wealthy suburbs-Downtown Crossing will make some people uncomfortable. But most downtownplaces like Fenway, FiDi, Seaport, Longwood, North End, West End are basically crime-free zones.

To be fair to Baltimore downtown looks like the pits but I really don't read or hear of much crime down there not even compared to Bostons downtown. But 80% of Baltimore is pretty jarring if your gonna compare it to Boston. Whole nother world socioeconmically.

People rag on Boston because there isnt much of a middle class and the schools are a total mess- worse than what they were 10 years ago. The rest is xenophobic/racist hate from the white bread burbs. In the past I would say Boston had a legitimate crime problem do to the intensity in Rox/Dot/Matt but its been reeled into the point where Id say its actualy "safe" now since maybe 2017... Many folks simply dont like that Boston adapts a lot of far-left policy.
It’s also true that for New England Boston has pretty high crime. Behind only like Hartford and New Haven. It’s just on a national scale it is very safe. But no New Englanders really cares to compare Boston to Cleveland or Dallas. An example is every so often there is dialogue about various European cities being “dangerous” when they have crime rates lower than Baltimore County. Where people move to get out of the high Crime areas of Baltimore city.

Part of the reason Boston has a bad reputation that even compared to relatively run down New England cities like Lynn, Framingham and Lowell it dies have high crime and much worse public schools. But even then it has a much better reputation within its metro than many Major cities.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:56 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
OyCrumbler this is why we have those vacants. The willingness to reach some of Bostons sky high requirements isn’t always there in every neighborhood. Sometimes the bar is set a little high. There’s still a massive vacant lot adjacent to Northeastern and Police Headquarters too.

See: https://goo.gl/maps/ES8YUyutpvLG8Yw28

But Boston develops thoughtfully (maybe to make up for a lack of planning in the city’s origin) so maybe in the long run it’s for the best?

No takers for Uphams Corner redevelopment plan:

“Scott Van Voorhis reports that, after several months, the BPDA didn't get a single proposal from developers for a parcel next to the Strand Theatre. Developers have readily snapped up similar parcels in Nubian Square, with heavy affordable-housing components, but the BPDA's Uphams Corner proposal would have also required a developer to build a new BPL branch, find an operator for the Strand and commit to a sizeable amount of affordable housing and affordable commercial space.”

From the more detailed report: “There was certainly interest in the deal, with dozens of people showing up for pre-bid conferences over the fall, the Dorchester Reporter noted.

Certainly, the buzz raised expectations, coming upon five years of neighborhood and city planning efforts aimed at creating an “Uphams Corner Arts & Innovation District.”

Now it’s back to square one. After assessing what the issues are, city officials plan to issue another request for proposals next month.”

How quickly can they bring this back out for proposal? I actually think the requirements if they can get them (which they couldn't) are pretty good. They can always sweeten the pot or loosen the restrictions a bit though really what would make the area far more valuable and attractive would be if MBTA Commuter Rail acted more like a S-Bahn and so being in walking distance of one of these stations is a lot more attractive.

Quote:
More comments from suburbanites in a Boston Globe article today:

"There is no reason in today's age to head to Boston whether for dinner or just a night out. Boston's traffic, parking issues/prices and crime have made a trip into town obsolete unless you're going to a pro sports event. The suburbs have raised their game in restaurant quality, ease and mostly free parking and shopping alternatives. Boston will soon be the new Baltimore /Philadelphia/Baltimore/Atlanta of downtowns to avoid. Gee, those are all democratic enclaves, hmm."

"Well this seems pretty easy, stop the vaccine mandates and make sure you are enforcing laws in the streets. Last time I went to the North End in the Fall we met some good friends at Regina Pizzeria and walked to head over to get some dessert off of Prince St and we came across a guy who had been stabbed in the leg and was gushing blood from his calf. We had three kids with us and a pool of blood spurting out of his leg, and that is in the North End where it used to be a sanctuary from the rest of the City's homelessness and drug use."

"The reality is that downtown offices are never going to be fully staffed now that it has been proven that the work can be done remotely, traveling into Boston remains difficult, the city continues to have a homeless problem and people don't feel safe on the T or in the downtown area after dark. Add in the high cost of parking and restaurants and sparse family entertainment and you're catering to one group, carpetbaggers with lots of cash who don't mind getting ripped off so long as they can be seen in trendy places. Good luck mayor trying to get Joe the plumber and his family to visit downtown."

It's a real contingent of delusional people. Many of these comments have a lot of "likes"

Not that Boston doesn't have issues, but this is just nutty.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How quickly can they bring this back out for proposal? I actually think the requirements if they can get them (which they couldn't) are pretty good. They can always sweeten the pot or loosen the restrictions a bit though really what would make the area far more valuable and attractive would be if MBTA Commuter Rail acted more like a S-Bahn and so being in walking distance of one of these stations is a lot more attractive.

Not that Boston doesn't have issues, but this is just nutty.
They can put it back out in 2 months. But they will likely have to get rid of either building a new BPS library branch or operating the Strand Theatre. The Strand is troubled and no one can operate it (safely) consistently and break even let alone turn a profit. I could see someone building housing on top of a library. That’s what they wanted to do further south in the Fields Corner section of Dorchester.

Some people who live in the suburbs really feel this way. Not the urbanophiles we have on CD. These people are coming from communities that are next to crime free. The fact that any level of crime occurs frequently and there are minorities? It means something to them.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:51 PM

More from Reddit:

“Not much of any value to see downtown anymore. Scores of unsavory characters…tons of empty storefronts…and a depressing and dirty vibe. Lack of office workers is some of the problem. It would take a major undertaking to ever revitalize the area.“ 18 likes

“ Here’s an idea: start by getting rid of masks and the vaccine mandate. Then work to solve the homeless problem. Downtown crossing is scary. Commercial rent is far too high; there are a lot of empty storefronts. Maybe subsidize commercial rents with taxpayer funds sidelined for safe injection sites.” 11 likes

But most of the comments say downtown Boston is simply too corporate, boring, and expensive. People also lament the mask and vax mandate and the early closing times/lack of happy hour. These are by far the most common complaints about downtown Boston online (various sites) and IRL. Folks say the core downtown area is simultaneously to gritty/shady/expensive/boring all at once and that’s why people prefer other nearby neighborhoods that are more people focused like South Boston, Back Bay, and the North End (where tourists go).

People complain of the gentrification of downtown, abundant banks, and 20$ sandwich places, $30 for coffee salad and pastry, and thinking you can slap truffle oil and knock up the price $50. Also saw many suburbanites complaint of tolls, traffic, and lack of family entertainment/disability accomadtions.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:24 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
More from Reddit:

“Not much of any value to see downtown anymore. Scores of unsavory characters…tons of empty storefronts…and a depressing and dirty vibe. Lack of office workers is some of the problem. It would take a major undertaking to ever revitalize the area.“ 18 likes

“ Here’s an idea: start by getting rid of masks and the vaccine mandate. Then work to solve the homeless problem. Downtown crossing is scary. Commercial rent is far too high; there are a lot of empty storefronts. Maybe subsidize commercial rents with taxpayer funds sidelined for safe injection sites.” 11 likes

But most of the comments say downtown Boston is simply too corporate, boring, and expensive. People also lament the mask and vax mandate and the early closing times/lack of happy hour. These are by far the most common complaints about downtown Boston online (various sites) and IRL. Folks say the core downtown area is simultaneously to gritty/shady/expensive/boring all at once and that’s why people prefer other nearby neighborhoods that are more people focused like South Boston, Back Bay, and the North End (where tourists go).

People complain of the gentrification of downtown, abundant banks, and 20$ sandwich places, $30 for coffee salad and pastry, and thinking you can slap truffle oil and knock up the price $50. Also saw many suburbanites complaint of tolls, traffic, and lack of family entertainment/disability accomadtions.
Faneuil, downtown crossing, theatre district, Chinatown are ok now. Will get better with warmer weather. Mostly past covid winter surge at this point and should only get better. The financial district was never a destination especially after hours and will take longest to recover

Old 02-17-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Faneuil, downtown crossing, theatre district, Chinatown are ok now. Will get better with warmer weather. Mostly past covid winter surge at this point and should only get better. The financial district was never a destination especially after hours and will take longest to recover
People seem really upset with these mandates, hopefully the science allows for them to be done away with before April.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:56 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
More from Reddit:

I was in Manhattan three days ago lol and Philadelphia about a week ago. They would have a field day there

And tolls? Lol. Costs $16 for me to cross any bridge to a city. These people whine soo much.
If I want to take the train in.. its like what $15 one way

Old 02-17-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I was in Manhattan three days ago lol and Philadelphia about a week ago. They would have a field day there

And tolls? Lol. Costs $16 for me to cross any bridge to a city. These people whine soo much.
If I want to take the train in.. its like what $15 one way

These are the type of Massachusetts individuals whose Boston experience is Fenway and summer in Maine/Cape Cod. And anywhere with over 15% POC is "going downhill". yes, people really say places like Woburn and Braintree are going down hill... The thing is in the Boston Area thats a lot of white suburbanites.

It really is the parking in Boston that is a killer. I found better parking in Manhattan a few weeks ago literally a block from Central Park. I parked right here, still available on screenshot Sunday too so it was free. In Boston it seems just as hard or at least very nearly as hard to find an open parking spot Downtown. + the garages are obscenely expensive.

But totally agree I hate NYC tolls, I take Palisades Parkway/Cuomo Birdge and I-87 more often than not.

Outside of the Lower Eastside and maybe East Harlem... Manhattan is fine IMO. The biggest knock would be before trash is picked up and it's left on the street..and scaffolding. Center City Philadelphia too. Not that these types of people like Philly or NYC anyway. places like the Meatpacking District/Chelsea/ East Village, Upper Westside etc etc all ar every polished and desirable. I was at Dewitt Clinton Park, Brass Monkey and All-Star Sports Bar and Grill when I was there last. Also, Times Square at 3am felt considerably better than it did in the heigh of the pandemic in late 2020.

Also side note I generally dont see many homeless in NYC-is that weird?

Manhattan, in general, is much more alive for much longer stretches than Downtown Boston sans Downton Crossing and Chinatown which are by far and away from the sketchiest places in Downtown Boston. Newbury Street seemed kind of lite when I was there for XMAS but it was cold. Faneuil Hall was abandoned more or less. But still super duper clean and safe feeling. I never go to the West End, especially not now that the Red Hat is closed. But it's not like it lit anyway. Government Center was dead. but clean and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City