Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 06:06 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2m11 View Post
Thank you-what makes you score this way? I am pretty interested in this
I'm young (24-25. y/o). Im single. I like nightlife. I like to hang out with friends. My favorite city for reference is Seattle, Chicago and Boston.. ideally. (Just to get a better picture of what kind of person I am, and waht I think and how it pertains to you...)

Why I would say RDU?

1. Nightlife? Im really not sure. Im positive Austin would win. And then an aedge to Raleigh, then Orlando. There are so many colleges in RDU (UNC, NC STate, Duke, etc). Alot of my friends live here and ive had a lot of fun here. Orlando is better for 18-25 year olds nightlife imho.. its cheaper, but nightclubs are better in FL. But nightlife overall? Probably AUS then RDU then ORL.

2. Terrain. I hate flatlands. This eliminates Orlando. I like hiking and topography change. Austin has this, but RDU has rolling hills everywhere and is close to the NC Mountains (2 hours from Pilot Mtn/Hanging Rock). Add in beaches, and it would go RDU then ORL then AUS.

3. Weather. I like four seasons. so that eliminates AUS and ORL.

4. Hockey. Im a hockey fanatic. There has to be hockey lmao.. RDU is the only one who has this.

5. Little Towns Around. I love going to Durham, Cary, Apex, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Wake Forest. So neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 06:18 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,745,599 times
Orlando is the second highest crime city in Florida, I used to live there. You would be better off living outside Orlando if you can't afford Bay Hill/Dr. Phillips area, the safest places to live in Orlando. My friend moved out a long time ago, she lives in Winter Garden (affordable near Windermere, an Orlando wealthy suburb), and told me recently nobody wants live in Orlando anymore. Too many drugs, gangs, poverty.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Orlando is the second highest crime city in Florida, I used to live there. You would be better off living outside Orlando if you can't afford Bay Hill/Dr. Phillips area, the safest places to live in Orlando. My friend moved out a long time ago, she lives in Winter Garden (affordable near Windermere, an Orlando wealthy suburb), and told me recently nobody wants live in Orlando anymore. Too many drugs, gangs, poverty.
... Orlando is not that bad

Old 05-17-2021, 08:30 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
... Orlando is not that bad
For the past 20 years, Orlando has suffered from disproportionately high violent crime rates and criminal gang activity, given its relatively low population. Unfortunately, the Orlando area began rapidly deteriorating in the early 2000s, around the time the Puerto Rican population surged. In my opinion, Orlando peaked during the late 1990s, when the city’s infrastructure was fully developed, its residential housing stock was still very new and its population was still all-American. I loved Orlando back then.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:56 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I can understand that. It has more rundown areas and crime for sure. I would choose Raleigh above both because it offers more for the money and the people are very nice.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:45 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
It depends on alot of factors TBH.

If I recall correctly you are making $140k. As we spoke about before, you're going to get less 'house' at that Salary in Austin than in RDU or ORD. Austin makes up for it in vibe, nightlife, outdoorsy culture for those whom that matters to. I personally love Austin but right now I feel its very overpriced. You're going to get alot more bang for your dollar in ORD and RDU IMO unless the night life and outdoorsy culture is an absolute must have. RDU will probably best Austin in outdoor amenities local to it. nightlife, Austin will probably best RDU.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:57 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
For the past 20 years, Orlando has suffered from disproportionately high violent crime rates and criminal gang activity, given its relatively low population. Unfortunately, the Orlando area began rapidly deteriorating in the early 2000s, around the time the Puerto Rican population surged. In my opinion, Orlando peaked during the late 1990s, when the city’s infrastructure was fully developed, its residential housing stock was still very new and its population was still all-American. I loved Orlando back then.
It depends where you live.
There is a large, rough area west of I4. No reason to go there unless going to watch a soccer game. Although even that is rapidly changing, with the major gentrification currently going on due to UCF's new downtown campus, the new Creative Village, etc.:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5498...7i16384!8i8192
Heck, most of Parramore in general is getting cleaned up (a dangerous block got torn down to make way for the soccer stadium, new apartments/condos, etc.:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5329...7i16384!8i8192

Orlando has some terrific and very safe areas around the core: Baldwin Park, Thornton Park, Audubon, Eola Heights, etc.
The bad areas are easily avoidable.
The Puerto Rican population surge really only affected East Orlando and Kissimmee.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-18-2021 at 06:17 AM..

Old 05-18-2021, 06:14 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2m11 View Post
You make Orlando sound so cool, but why Austin above it?
Austin just seems to be developing into a more "complete" city. Orlando is developing pretty well also, but seems to have lost a bit of its focus on the core areas (although downtown and Ivanhoe/Princeton are still going strong) and instead has shifted focus to Lake Nona, which does take away from the overall cohesiveness of the place. Lake Nona is very disconnected from the rest of the city.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
The Orlando MSA is no different than other MSAs crime wise.
It got better with more diversity...

Old 05-18-2021, 09:34 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
I think Raleigh would be the less stressful city out the three while still giving you big city amenities. RDU would probably be a good fit for someone looking to get that big city feel without the headaches of traffic. I do hear RDU is pretty "boring" but I think that's mostly compared to bigger cities.

I would say Austin has a better nightlife scene and a better scene for creatives more so than the other 2 cities.

Orlando seems like the more complete metropolitan. I'd also say Austin is the least Family friendly city out the 3. I guess if you're a single 20-early 30's sociable person Austin would be the best choice. If you have a family and want to live in a big city full of attractions for your family and more than enough for you and your spouse Orlando would be best. And if you want a Family friendly city with career opportunities and more laid overall laid-back vibe with just enough to keep you entertained Raleigh is your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City