Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Pennsylvania or Massachusetts
I'd prefer PENNSYLVANIA 34 39.53%
I'd prefer MASSACHUSETTS 36 41.86%
NEITHER. Mass? Penn? Not Interested 6 6.98%
BOTH, These are some Great States Here 10 11.63%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 05:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times

Advertisements

Preferable States Pivots NorthEast, How y'all feel about these States? Speak Your Truth and Let's See The Results

Preferable State: Pennsylvania or Massachusetts

- Preferred Location
- Brighter Future
- Best Major Cities
- Best Secondary Cities
- Topography & Landscapes
- Economy
- Higher Education
- Weather
- The State I Prefer is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 06:06 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Aren't they both a "Commonwealth"? I don't know much about Pa. but Massachusetts might tick all the boxes except for "Secondary cities" Kinda high crime rates. I lived there for about 14 years. Worcester, Lowell and many others are less than desirable. If you've got the income the hub area (inside 128) should be ok.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:11 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Aren't they both a "Commonwealth"? I don't know much about Pa. but Massachusetts might tick all the boxes except for "Secondary cities" Kinda high crime rates. I lived there for about 14 years. Worcester, Lowell and many others are less than desirable. If you've got the income the hub area (inside 128) should be ok.

Ohh, Indeed
Sorry

Preferable Commonwealth: Pennsylvania or Massachusetts

- Preferred Location
- Brighter Future
- Best Major Cities
- Best Secondary Cities
- Topography & Landscapes
- Economy
- Higher Education
- Weather
- The Commonwealth I Prefer is?

Old 05-20-2021, 07:16 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
The Mass crime rate isn't terrible. Before Covid, it had one of the lowest murder rates in the country and even now, it's rates haven't gone up by very much.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:33 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Both are great which is what I voted for. Mass has a bit more of a unified identity due to it being a much smaller state geographically. Massachusetts has the ocean, but the weather is noticeably colder for a few months out of the year, which I feel cancels that out.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:18 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
The geography of Pennsylvania is much more rugged than that of Massachusetts, but I believe the Cape and the Islands cancel that out.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:23 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Massachusetts.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:02 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Tie for me

Old 05-21-2021, 06:48 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
- Preferred Location: Pennsylvania i like the proximity to things in PA
- Brighter Future: Massachusetts MA has 40% of all lab space U/C in the country
- Best Major Cities: Massachusetts Boston>Philadelphia+Pittsburgh, easily
- Best Secondary Cities Pennsylvania
- Topography & Landscapes Massachusetts Beaches, Mountains, Hills, Ocean, Cliffs you got it all.
- Economy Massachusetts
- Higher Education Massachusetts Harvard/MIT/Tufts/BU/BC/Northeastern etc>UPenn, Penn State, Drexel, Temple etc
- Weather WEast PA>East MA>West MA>West PA. So a Draw
- The State I Prefer is? Massachusetts

Old 05-21-2021, 07:16 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
I've lived in both, so here goes:

- Preferred Location: PA - very centrally located to other cities in the NE corridor, whereas in MA you are at the bookend of the corridor. The population centers of PA are also closer to nicer beaches on the NJ shore, somewhat ironically since PA does not border the ocean (I realize MA has great beaches, but farther from the Boston area where most people live).

- Brighter Future: MA - it's been the strongest performing economy in the northeast for a while, and I don't see that slowing anytime soon. The Boston area is a magnet for the highly educated, and the already strong biotech sector certainly won't be hurt by our "new normal"

- Best Major Cities: PA - if it was just Philly vs. Boston I would have gone tie, because I think they are more similar than different (Philly a little larger, Boston a little more polished). But when you add in Pittsburgh, MA doesn't have a compare.

- Best Secondary Cities: MA - Certainly Lancaster has become really nice, but MA has an army of really nice cities & towns outside of Boston (Northampton, Newburyport, etc.) Maybe these are too small to consider, I dunno... But outside of the primary urban areas, MA seems much nicer than PA overall (I went to college in the middle of PA).

- Topography & Landscapes: MA - Between the Berkshires (which I think are nicer than the Poconos), the north shore and Cape Cod/MV/Nantucket, I'd give this easily to MA. It packs a lot in a small area.

- Economy: MA - Same reason as "brighter future" above.

- Higher Education: MA - although this one is somewhat close. But with Harvard & MIT alone, tough to beat MA here. PA does seem to have a better state college system FWIW.

- Weather: PA - Since PA is physically larger there is more variation (Erie has worse weather than anywhere i in MA), but Philly has a milder winter than Boston so that's how I decided it.

- The State I Prefer is?: MA - If I had to pick one of them to move to tomorrow, I'd probably pick MA. But cost of living may negate that as I do think the Main Line is one of the best values in the northeast. Since the question was for preference though, I'm removing cost of living from the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City