Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Louisiana or Indiana
I'd prefer LOUISIANA 39 33.62%
I'd prefer INDIANA 53 45.69%
NEITHER, it's a definite no for me 21 18.10%
BOTH, let the good times roll in both 3 2.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 06:18 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

The one category that is Louisiana hands down isn't on there...

Food!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 06:41 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Preferred Location - Indiana isn't called America's Crossroads for nothing. It's within reasonable distance to Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Nashville. A good mix of Midwestern, Southern, and Northeastern cities within a few hours. Louisiana is relatively isolated with really only Houston that's fairly close (not sure if Mobile counts as major, but I guess you can count that too). However, Louisiana's prominent position on the Gulf of Mexico has to count for something, even though that also means it is also a hurricane magnet.
Brighter Future - I don't think either state has a particularly "bright" future, but it's probably going to be in Indiana's favor. Indiana does have issues with crime and poverty, but Louisiana's is on a whole other level. Might arguably be the worst of any state.
Best Major Cities - Indiana's main cities are 'nicer' looking, but Louisiana's have more history and character. Probably a draw here but it just really depends on individual taste.
Best Secondary Cities - See above. Indiana's communities are generally fairly neat and tidy, but generally lack the Southern charm of those in Louisiana, even if they might look a bit dumpy.
Topography & Landscapes - Both states are extremely flat, but both do have some waterfront (LA with the Gulf, and IN with Lake Michigan). Louisiana is famous for its bayous and Cypress trees while Indiana has the Dunes. Probably a draw, but again it just depends on personal preference.

Economy - Indiana. Jobs tend to pay a little better in IN, plus the COL is actually somewhat lower than LA's.

Higher Education - Public institutions at least, it's Indiana all day long. LSU is an okay school, but pales in comparison to Indiana and Purdue (which is criminally underrated as an engineering school. Easily comparable to Georgia Tech, for example).
Weather - For me it's probably Indiana as the summers are somewhat shorter, cooler, and slightly less muggy. But some people do enjoy those sweltering summers, and there are those who like the mild winters of LA. Different strokes for different folks.
Sports - Probably goes to Louisiana. LSU is a football powerhouse and many LA residents are equally big fans of the Saints. Indiana is more into hoops in general, and despite IU's mascot being the Hoosiers, that name can be applied to Indiana residents in general. High school and college hoops are king there. Notre Dame is based in South Bend, but most of its fan base live in cities outside of Indiana.
The State I Prefer is? I don't have a particular hankering for either, and I've only really visited Indiana, so I guess it would be Indiana by default. That said, I would love to visit Louisiana one day because it has a culture that is so very different than any other state - a unique blend of French, Spanish, Creole, African/Caribbean, and Southern. Indiana is rather bland in comparison.

Old 05-30-2021, 06:59 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Neither one. Both are conservative and backwards and have no real appeal for me personally. New Orleans is a great city to visit but probably less so unless you’re a musician or artist. The rest of the state is very impoverished with abysmal schools. Indians is incredibly bland, like Illinois or Ohio without the interesting cities. Bloomington is a bit of an oasis though, so if I had to choose it would probably be there.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:01 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
The best part of Louisiana is its people, which would be the only reason I would consider living there. I lived and worked in SW Louisiana for awhile in the 1980s, and I could do without the climate or terrain. But, some of the best people I have ever spent time with anywhere.

I only passed through Indiana a couple of times, and nothing much impressed me, but I'm sure there are nice enough places in parts of Indianapolis or toward Chicago. I have known a few people from Indiana, and those from closer to Chicago have also been really good and fun people, but so many others have had personalities that for whatever reason don't mesh well with mine - there was one who a co-worker even began to call Woody after the character in Cheers. Just a lot of slow, taciturn people - very much midwestern stereotype. I don't think I could handle being in a community with midwesterners that are mostly that way (disclosure: in-laws are from Oklahoma and I feel the same way about OK people).

I choose none of the above.

Last edited by RocketSci; 05-30-2021 at 07:11 PM..

Old 05-31-2021, 09:38 AM

372 posts, read 449,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Then there's summer where you have to stay inside to avoid being drenched in sweat asap.

It has tons of opportunity but it'll never be realized. Wind turbines will never be built on our coast. Louisiana will see every job, young person, and industry leave for greener pastures.
After the latest ice storm this year I’m not sure I could stomach an entire winter of that. Yikes. I actually love winter but just for a little bit. Not a fan of long hot summer either but at least we can rely on shade and water and air conditioner.

I must say I notice you have given up on the home state. I mean I understand. But it is home and I want to see it prosper whether I’m living here or not. I think with the oil industry steady declining or becoming less of a player Louisiana doesn’t really have a choice. Either embrace the inevitable or take a turn for the worse.

https://www.workboat.com/offshore/lo...gulf-of-mexico

It’s already being looked into.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
After the latest ice storm this year I’m not sure I could stomach an entire winter of that. Yikes. I actually love winter but just for a little bit. Not a fan of long hot summer either but at least we can rely on shade and water and air conditioner.

I must say I notice you have given up on the home state. I mean I understand. But it is home and I want to see it prosper whether I’m living here or not. I think with the oil industry steady declining or becoming less of a player Louisiana doesn’t really have a choice. Either embrace the inevitable or take a turn for the worse.

Winter out west is nothing like humid winters down south or Midwest. That week or so down there was probably about half of what we get. You can't rely on shade, lol, I know better than that. Shade does nothing in the south.

I haven't given up but now that I live in a state with better infrastructure, less corruption, and better educated residents, I have come to see just how backwards Louisiana is. Something sweeping will have to happen for that population to wake up.

I sincerely hope that project can break ground but I'll believe it when piles are being driven into the sea floor. Not only that, but if they receive the same tax breaks that petrochemical companies do, its all but moot as our tax dollars going to their infrastructure.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:13 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post

Wow Man, I Like Louisiana, But if a Native says it's bad then I gotta listen , there's no more I can say

Old 06-01-2021, 08:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Wow Man, I Like Louisiana, But if a Native says it's bad then I gotta listen , there's no more I can say
People say the same about every state they're from and it depends heavily on their perspective. There's a certain person on this board who thinks that an oil job, a hunting camp, boiling crawfish, and hurricane parties are the only things you need to be happy. I know someone who lives in LaPorte and they sound like me talking about Louisiana. She's from Chicago.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:45 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Ah, ok, never spent time there in that part of the state.

But since the highest point in Indiana is just 1,257 feet, it ain't that high up. Indiana is relatively flat compared to most states.

In fact, Indiana is in the top 10 states with the shortest "highest elevations."

Louisiana's highest point is 535 feet high--so both LA and IN are relatively close.
Those elevation numbers are measured above sea level, not above ground level. Indiana's highest point is called "Hoosier Hill" at 1257 feet above sea level, but it's only about 30 feet above ground level. You can't even see the top of the "hill" from the road. The average person would never guess he or she is standing on the highest point in Indiana if there was no sign there to tell them. I imagine Louisiana's highest point is probably pretty similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier_Hill?wprov=sfla1

Old 06-02-2021, 08:37 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
People say the same about every state they're from and it depends heavily on their perspective. There's a certain person on this board who thinks that an oil job, a hunting camp, boiling crawfish, and hurricane parties are the only things you need to be happy. I know someone who lives in LaPorte and they sound like me talking about Louisiana. She's from Chicago.
Not to mention, oil isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I always ask people if they know that the energy used to power EVs (and, to be clear, I intend to buy a cybertruck so I have nothing against EVs) is not actually green the overwhelming majority of the time (if you have a solar plant, then fine, but that's a tiny percentage of people's reality . . . and, even then you'd need to look into what it took to get the solar plant built).

But, while still a substantial percentage at 26%, it's not like Louisiana hasn't already substantially diversified its economy from oil. For the above reasons, I wouldn't even be as pessimistic about Louisiana's future on account of oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City