Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most similar to Winston-Salem?
Greensboro, North Carolina 14 33.33%
Durham, North Carolina 15 35.71%
Richmond, Virginia 4 9.52%
Lexington, Kentucky 3 7.14%
Knoxville, Tennessee 5 11.90%
Greenville, South Carolina 1 2.38%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 11:31 PM

676 posts, read 493,155 times

Advertisements

Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 11:58 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
In 1971, Durham. In 2021, Greensboro.
I suppose if I had to drill down, I'd say demographically the answer is Greensboro but physically/structurally/institutionally, Durham is probably a better answer.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:21 PM

136 posts, read 116,720 times
This is a tough call but I’d go with Durham for the same reasons Mutiny mentioned. W-S and Greensboro are similar in some ways, but they feel pretty different. W-S feels a little more connected to the Blue Ridge/Appalachian foothills region (the topography is also hillier than Greensboro). It also feels more industrial. Also, like Durham, WS has a private ACC school in Wake. They’re also both the second cities in their respective tri-city metros. Greensboro reminds me more of a smaller Raleigh (both a little flatter, primary city in the metro, sizable public university west of downtown).

Old 06-12-2021, 12:42 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times
Yes, Durham all the way

Old 06-12-2021, 10:52 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama211 View Post
This is a tough call but I’d go with Durham for the same reasons Mutiny mentioned. W-S and Greensboro are similar in some ways, but they feel pretty different. W-S feels a little more connected to the Blue Ridge/Appalachian foothills region (the topography is also hillier than Greensboro). It also feels more industrial. Also, like Durham, WS has a private ACC school in Wake. They’re also both the second cities in their respective tri-city metros. Greensboro reminds me more of a smaller Raleigh (both a little flatter, primary city in the metro, sizable public university west of downtown).
Both you and Mutiny are spot on. Like Durham, Winston-Salem has really embraced repurpising their old industrial buildings. W-S has taken it up a notch though with the beyond impressive changes to the massive old RJ Reynolds industrial district. The transformation is incredible, and effectively increases the size of Downtown by a third.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:18 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Both you and Mutiny are spot on. Like Durham, Winston-Salem has really embraced repurpising their old industrial buildings. W-S has taken it up a notch though with the beyond impressive changes to the massive old RJ Reynolds industrial district. The transformation is incredible, and effectively increases the size of Downtown by a third.
Yeah I wish WS had a little more outside its Downtown though. Thats a huge drawback for me everytime I go there. Its like Durham in that way too. 0-100 realfast. Whereas GSOs downtown is meh, and right around it s pretty nice. Almost the opposite.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:10 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
I’ve always liked Greensboro’s downtown more than WS (or Durham). There’s something about it that feels right to me.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:42 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I’ve always liked Greensboro’s downtown more than WS (or Durham). There’s something about it that feels right to me.
WS feels more 'city' with the banks and high rises. However, I like GSO's downtown better because the restaurants are better imo. Greensboro's threads verrrryyy nicely into neighboring communities like Greensboro College and Fisher Park (which threads nice into Irving/Latham Park.)

How my parents' summed it up: "Winston's downtown gives a better first impression, but Greensboro's Downtown becomes more homey'

I just see a little resemblance between the two outside demographics.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:53 PM

771 posts, read 624,859 times
Winston has the appearance of a much larger city, with a few buildings dating back to the 1920s like the art deco Reynolds Building. If I'm not mistaken, that was the tallest building between Baltimore and Miami when it was built. Tobacco money went a long way back then. Some of the suburbs near Wake Forest University have an "old money" feel to them, as well. Especially around the Reynolda mansion.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:25 AM

719 posts, read 492,580 times
Definitely Durham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City