Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most similar to Winston-Salem?
Greensboro, North Carolina 14 33.33%
Durham, North Carolina 15 35.71%
Richmond, Virginia 4 9.52%
Lexington, Kentucky 3 7.14%
Knoxville, Tennessee 5 11.90%
Greenville, South Carolina 1 2.38%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 12:08 PM

676 posts, read 492,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Winston has the appearance of a much larger city, with a few buildings dating back to the 1920s like the art deco Reynolds Building. If I'm not mistaken, that was the tallest building between Baltimore and Miami when it was built. Tobacco money went a long way back then. Some of the suburbs near Wake Forest University have an "old money" feel to them, as well. Especially around the Reynolda mansion.
If one wasn't familiar with the current population numbers, and drove through winston on Salem Parkway (Former Business 40) and then drove through Greensboro on Interstate 40, one could be under the impression that Winston was larger. Even more so if driving through at night from the Knollwood Interchange to the US 52 interchange. Probably just a 3 or 4 mile stetch, but alot is happening through there. Not just passing the downtown and the baseball stadium, but the WF Hospital Complex and the buildup around Knollwood and Stratford Road interchanges. Then again, Interstate 40 through Greensboro seems like it goes on forever.... with the 8-10 lane stretches in the western side, and the complex interchange with Interstate 73.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 01:25 PM

718 posts, read 492,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
WS feels more 'city' with the banks and high rises. However, I like GSO's downtown better because the restaurants are better imo. Greensboro's threads verrrryyy nicely into neighboring communities like Greensboro College and Fisher Park (which threads nice into Irving/Latham Park.)

How my parents' summed it up: "Winston's downtown gives a better first impression, but Greensboro's Downtown becomes more homey'

I just see a little resemblance between the two outside demographics.
Funny, I actually like Winston's downtown better. It has a more urban feel and is larger. I love that it has more "live" activities not just on one strip like Elm Street in Greensboro. One thing that bothered me while I lived in Greensboro is all the businesses and restaurants that left downtown. I think downtown Greensboro was more happening in 2008 than it is now street wise...

Old 06-13-2021, 07:27 PM

771 posts, read 624,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilFan View Post
If one wasn't familiar with the current population numbers, and drove through winston on Salem Parkway (Former Business 40) and then drove through Greensboro on Interstate 40, one could be under the impression that Winston was larger. Even more so if driving through at night from the Knollwood Interchange to the US 52 interchange. Probably just a 3 or 4 mile stetch, but alot is happening through there. Not just passing the downtown and the baseball stadium, but the WF Hospital Complex and the buildup around Knollwood and Stratford Road interchanges. Then again, Interstate 40 through Greensboro seems like it goes on forever.... with the 8-10 lane stretches in the western side, and the complex interchange with Interstate 73.
The city also looks big if you're approaching from the direction of Mount Airy on 52, despite the actual highway being fairly small.

I talked about this is another thread, but Winston might be the closest city in North Carolina that could potentially be categorized as a "legacy city," and I mean that in a good way. In 1920, it was the largest city in the state, with industry and a lot of Gilded Age tobacco money (Graylyn Estate, Reynolda) that has impacted the area to this day. Greensboro and Durham also had this but it isn't quite as noticeable anymore in those two cities, IMO.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:47 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Funny, I actually like Winston's downtown better. It has a more urban feel and is larger. I love that it has more "live" activities not just on one strip like Elm Street in Greensboro. One thing that bothered me while I lived in Greensboro is all the businesses and restaurants that left downtown. I think downtown Greensboro was more happening in 2008 than it is now street wise...
In retrospect, both are pretty blah. But Greensboro's threads really well with the Fisher Park Neighborhood. You can walk miles from Elm to the Ballpark and up to Joymongers and through the Greenway. Yeah, Winston's is more urban and connects well to Salem.. but it feels like an island. All the new development around the ballpark in Greensboro really wins it for me. But again, id give GSO a 4 and Winston a 3.5 ... they are both OK at best.. at the end you are just picking which one is less boring.

I did hear SO many places left Greensboro's downtown. It dried out until recently, but it looks (at last visit) to have made a 180. I mean,lots of new restaurants now.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:44 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I’ve always liked Greensboro’s downtown more than WS (or Durham). There’s something about it that feels right to me.
Of the three, Durham's downtown is the one that does it for me the most as it has the most synergy, the most vibrancy, and a great balance between historic repurposed structures and modern development. Greensboro's downtown has less structural density than the other two, but it's done a great job with Elm Street, the parks, the downtown greenway, and the new performing arts center. Winston-Salem's has the most big-city vibe of the three but could use a central civic space to act as downtown's living room of sorts.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of the three, Durham's downtown is the one that does it for me the most. Greensboro's downtown has less structural density than the other two, but it's done a great job with Elm Street, the parks, and the new performing arts center. Winston-Salem's has the most big-city vibe of the three.
Agree

Charlotte
Raleigh
Durham
Greensboro
Winston Salem

is how I would rate them.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Agree

Charlotte
Raleigh
Durham
Greensboro
Winston Salem

is how I would rate them.
I agree for the most part. The only change I would make is Winston between Raleigh and Durham.

The Innovation Quarter, older buildings such as R.J. Reynolds/Nissen, and the fact that Old Salem is only a few blocks to the south really improves downtown Winston, IMO.

I've always viewed downtown Durham and downtown Greensboro in the same boat. The American Tobacco Campus has been spruced up nicely, and Elm Street is really cool, as well. However, I wish they were a little bigger.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I agree for the most part. The only change I would make is Winston between Raleigh and Durham.

The Innovation Quarter, older buildings such as R.J. Reynolds/Nissen, and the fact that Old Salem is only a few blocks to the south really improves downtown Winston, IMO.

I've always viewed downtown Durham and downtown Greensboro in the same boat. The American Tobacco Campus has been spruced up nicely, and Elm Street is really cool, as well. However, I wish they were a little bigger.
But outside Winstons downtown there isnt much in terms of a vibrant downtown with walkable and old style neighborhoods?

Old 06-29-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
But outside Winstons downtown there isnt much in terms of a vibrant downtown with walkable and old style neighborhoods?
That's fair. I've always liked the Reynolda area, but that's further out in the suburbs near Wake Forest.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
That's fair. I've always liked the Reynolda area, but that's further out in the suburbs near Wake Forest.
The big advantage of Winston is its literally 25-30 minutes to Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock. And like an hour and change to Boone. They are very lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City