Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city/area is the most similar to Raleigh?
Greensboro 13 18.06%
Charlotte 18 25.00%
Columbia 6 8.33%
Reston (northern Virginia) 7 9.72%
Atlanta 3 4.17%
Nashville 7 9.72%
Austin 12 16.67%
Other 6 8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 05:14 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times

Advertisements

Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 09:18 AM

393 posts, read 261,344 times
Too close between Charlotte, Greensboro, and Nashville.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:28 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
hmmm.. I would say Austin. A little smaller, less vibrant and a tad more spread out.

50% Austin, 30% Nashville, 20% Charlotte.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:15 AM

771 posts, read 624,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Eh... I think Raleigh and Richmond, VA are most similar on paper to be honest...
I was thinking about including Richmond in the poll, but then I opted against it. They're similar and dissimilar at the same time. On one hand, both are southern state capitals, similar in size, and located on the border (Fall Line) between the Piedmont and Coastal Plain/Tidewater in their respective states. On the other hand, Raleigh is more of a suburban "New South" city, while Richmond is older, more urban, and has a slight industrial feel that Raleigh lacks. They feel different to an extent, even though they're less than three hours apart.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:23 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Cross between Nashville, Greensboro, and Charlotte suburbs.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
If I could take a little from here and little from there, I'd probably parse it as follows:

From a structural/mission perspective, I'd say Austin since it's a state capital, home to a large major state university, and has a tech based workforce like Raleigh. Atlanta fits that mold too, but its size isn't as comparable.
From a cultural perspective, the two North Carolina cities will undoubtedly be the closest. Atlanta would be my next pick after that.
From a more recent growth perspective, Raleigh slides in with Charlotte, Austin, and Nashville.
From a suburban perspective, Raleigh's burbs feel a lot like the earlier days of NOVA.
From a multi-core metro perspective, it's easily more like Greensboro.
From an education perspective, I'd probably go with NOVA or Austin.

The challenge with Raleigh is that there's a piece of it that's more akin to rapidly growing metros of Florida and the Southwest in that they also seemingly emerged from nowhere. Raleigh was a spec of a place in the 50s and 60s, and was smaller than all of the other core cities on the list. It didn't play second fiddle in NC until the last 35 years or so, and the Triangle was smaller than the Triad. That dynamic flipped in the last few decades and the Triangle keeps putting distance on the Triad.

I think it's hard to pin down the similarities, and it's easy to for people to say "yeah but" anytime someone tries to compare it to other places.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:05 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
Voted other, Columbus Ohio.

Austin and Nashville have a tourism/entertainment sector that Raleigh doesn't have. Charlotte doesn't have a large university presence. Greensboro at this point is about to surpassed by Durham in population numbers. Columbia has a large university and is the state capital and not much else to compare. I haven't been to Reston but if we use NOVA, I guess I can see the comparisons.

To me, and I know the OP said leave out Durham, but Columbus is probably the closest thing if you were to combine Raleigh and Durham. But getting away from that.....

-NHL franchise
-State Capital
-High growth
-Large university
-Tech sector
-Underrated music scene (IMO)
-Abundance of suburbs (Dublin is very similar to Cary IMO)

Old 06-20-2021, 06:05 PM

413 posts, read 437,547 times
I don't think Nashville is really a good comparison in terms of as a city and city center Nashville Feels alot larger.....and this I think is in part due to the Multi Nodal way the area is with multiple large areas Durham,Cary, Chapel Hill Etc...As a Metro Area its comparable to Nashville,Charlotte etc though.....

Old 06-24-2021, 06:47 AM

490 posts, read 863,445 times
As was mentioned, Columbus, Ohio is probably the most similar. State capital, large university presence (Ohio State and North Carolina State), white collar, NHL hockey team, CSA is similar in size, etc. The biggest differences are that Raleigh is growing much faster (MSA growth was 25% this past decade as compared to 12% for Columbus) and Raleigh does not have the same built-up older urban environment that Columbus has (Columbus had a population of 306,000 in 1940 while Raleigh had 46,000 that same year).

Old 06-26-2021, 05:57 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
A cross between Charlotte and Columbia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City