Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 01:49 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
In your experience what are the summers and winters in the Boston area like?
Summers = hot/humid but there is rain and thunderstorms. Winter = Cold but not too bad w/ occasional snow. Definitely sunnier than the PNW in winter. Just scroll down to the clouds section for sunshine data and you will see the difference in winter (blue = sunny):

Seattle:
https://weatherspark.com/y/913/Avera...tes-Year-Round

Boston:
https://weatherspark.com/y/26197/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 06-19-2021 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 02:21 PM

179 posts, read 111,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Central NY would be more Syracuse and Utica.
Yes, referring to the Hudson River Valley, lol. Geography is clearly not my strong point! Thank you for all this great detail about the Buffalo and Rochester areas, schools and demographics - super helpful!! This forum has already been beyond helpful, I'm so glad I posted! I will see if we can fit those areas into our itinerary when we go east this fall.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I do wish summer was a bit wetter though. I find the summers here a bit too dry and sunny. Also the lack of thunderstorms is a bummer but besides that it's great out here. Can't beat the scenery.
We are actually looking into Olympia as well...lol, man if you think the summers there are too dry, you'd go nuts in California! I believe it rained literally 2-3 times this year in the bay area, for like 1-2 days each time. The last two days it's been 100 degrees. My ancestry comes from the northern alps and I am just not cut out for this.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Summers = hot/humid but there is rain and thunderstorms. Winter = Cold but not too bad w/ occasional snow. Definitely sunnier than the PNW in winter. Just scroll down to the clouds section for sunshine data and you will see the difference in winter (blue = sunny):

Seattle:
https://weatherspark.com/y/913/Avera...tes-Year-Round

Boston:
https://weatherspark.com/y/26197/Ave...tes-Year-Round
Thanks for sharing your experience and this data source, super helpful!!

Old 06-19-2021, 10:01 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
Thank you for this awesome information! Looking on the map North Falmouth seems like it'd be gorgeous! We aren't looking for the best schools in the universe, just pretty damn decent. Here in California the schools are absolutely horrendous unless you fork out 1.5 mil on a mediocre house. I just checked Zillow and our current rental is worth 1.03 million...its 1400 sq feet, has no AC and the great school rating for the local elem is 2/10. Really!

I will check out the areas you mentioned, thank you so much!
I went to one of the worst school districts in Massachusetts and ended up being light years ahead of a good school district in Florida when I moved. You dont need to be in a top 20 or 30 suburb around Boston.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I went to one of the worst school districts in Massachusetts and ended up being light years ahead of a good school district in Florida when I moved. You dont need to be in a top 20 or 30 suburb around Boston.
Ha! Wow, MA must have amazing schools! I get it though...my sister lives in one of the most expensive suburbs of Los Angeles so her kids can go to top rated schools. All her kids have some academic or disciplinary issue, and don't seem any further ahead than other kids. I went to a terrible high school (I was actually bused to an all latino school for diversity reasons), and hey I have a masters from a state school and am content with that. I think community/environment is just as important as school quality.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:59 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
I have lived the last 5 years chasing after only 9s and 10s on great schools for my kids. No more of that.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I have lived the last 5 years chasing after only 9s and 10s on great schools for my kids. No more of that.

Granted my school was 44% African American, 26% Latino, 20% White an 18% Asian.. it was rated a 5. Super lilly white, homogenous high schools are rated in the flawed 9/10 range. I gained very valuable experiences that my fellow peers didnt when they never left their bubble.

7s and 8s are fine. 6s are too. You don't need a 9 or a 10 school district on great schools to make your decision.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 06-21-2021 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-21-2021, 10:07 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Also, greatschools.net has tinkered with its rating scale to where even if a school is consistently good, but hasn’t improved enough for them, they have actually knocked the schools ratings down. I also think there may be an issue with location bias for say school districts that may have the main city listed as it location, but is actually outside of city limits. You can have this occur due to the location given for the zip code it is in. So, be careful with some of these ratings websites and try to look at the information of a school on the state Department of Education website as well.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Granted my school was 44% African American, 26% Latino, 20% White an 18% Asian.. it was rated a 5. Super lilly white, homogenous high schools are rated in the flawed 9/10 range. I gained very valuable experiences that my fellow peers didnt when they never left their bubble.

7s and 8s are fine. 6s are too. You don't need a 9 or a 10 school district on great schools to make your decision.
I agree with this! I actually made some great friends at my high school and learned a lot about the latino culture. I wouldn't want to send my kids to such a school, but I do think some diversity and exposure to other cultures is very valuable. Ideally we find an 8/9/10 but I wouldn't write off a 7 if the area/school are otherwise a good fit for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City