Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better nightlife?
Boston 12 19.35%
Washington DC 50 80.65%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 09:59 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I am surprised by this (although I've only visited Boston and Cambridge and not spent a whole lot of time in the area). Boston, along with New York, Chicago, and Philly are known for their "neighborhood" bar scenes. Heck, "Cheers" was based on that concept, lol. Although, TV doesn't make it a reality.

But I would think a NE neighborhood city like Boston would have plenty of dive bars. As a tourist you may not see them in the downtown area because I'd guess they'd be more hidden in the local neighborhoods.
local neighborhoods, yes. Every square outside the city limits has two restaurants, a deli, general store and cafe it seems.

But that really doesnt factor into nightlife all that well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 02:59 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
local neighborhoods, yes. Every square outside the city limits has two restaurants, a deli, general store and cafe it seems.

Yea, I guess Boston has some banging, uh, daylife.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:55 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:

Every square outside the city has 2 restaurants ?? What are you talking about…union square in somerville has 30 or more…there are loads of squares with wayyyy more than 2 restaurants
You’re describing small towns way outside of the urban core

Old 06-21-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Every square outside the city has 2 restaurants ?? What are you talking about…union square in somerville has 30 or more…there are loads of squares with wayyyy more than 2 restaurants
You’re describing small towns way outside of the urban core
If you read the post i was responding to; Thats exactly what he was talking about. He was NOT talking about cores. He was talking about regular ordinary neighborhoods outside the core in relation to dive bar nightlife since Boston has (had) a reputation of that.

Not prominent squares like Maverick, Scollay, Central, Davis, Harvard or Porter.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
If you read the post i was responding to; Thats exactly what he was talking about. He was NOT talking about cores. He was talking about regular ordinary neighborhoods outside the core in relation to dive bar nightlife since Boston has (had) a reputation of that.

Not prominent squares like Maverick, Scollay, Central, Davis, Harvard or Porter.
Sounded like he was talking about dive bars in the core outside of downtown..Maybe I’m off

Old 06-22-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Sounded like he was talking about dive bars in the core outside of downtown..Maybe I’m off
no like neighborhoods. East Milton Sq, Allston Corner, etc... not exactly in Boston proper.. but the general area outside downtown.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
no like neighborhoods. East Milton Sq, Allston Corner, etc... not exactly in Boston proper.. but the general area outside downtown.
Even east Milton square, easily outside the city, has like 8 restaurants…the 2 restaurant and a deli thing is just a bit of an under-exaggeration unless you’re talking like downtown Fitchburg

Old 06-22-2021, 04:02 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Even east Milton square, easily outside the city, has like 8 restaurants…the 2 restaurant and a deli thing is just a bit of an under-exaggeration unless you’re talking like downtown Fitchburg
Right, but it’s not “nightlife” the way I think of it. Live music. Dancing. Etc. The abutters scream bloody murder and try to get liquor licenses pulled whenever any establishment proposes that.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Right, but it’s not “nightlife” the way I think of it. Live music. Dancing. Etc. The abutters scream bloody murder and try to get liquor licenses pulled whenever any establishment proposes that.
Well yes..but Milton is a low density town..that’s in Boston, Cambridge, somerville, Brookline, Gillette, Dedham, Quincy a few others…
Boston is not a club drink till 4 am mecca..it’s nightlife is more scattered and I’d put it behind dc..it’s fine enough for most people out of their 20s
I’m all for loosening the liquor license stuff and decreasing cost for nightlife and restaurants overall in core. I think Boston has always struggled with balancing the alcohol use and concentration of college students…they could be a bit looser

Old 06-22-2021, 05:10 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Well yes..but Milton is a low density town..that’s in Boston, Cambridge, somerville, Brookline, Gillette, Dedham, Quincy a few others…
Boston is not a club drink till 4 am mecca..it’s nightlife is more scattered and I’d put it behind dc..it’s fine enough for most people out of their 20s
I’m all for loosening the liquor license stuff and decreasing cost for nightlife and restaurants overall in core. I think Boston has always struggled with balancing the alcohol use and concentration of college students…they could be a bit looser
I’m old enough that I remember the Combat Zone and the age 18 drinking law. Boston was very different back when college Freshmen didn’t need fake IDs to drink. The Boston I remember at age 18 to 22 was way more nightlife-oriented than now. It was also way less gentrified than now. The South End was a rough place. My Freshman year college roommate was from there. Like a scene from Good Will Hunting. Lots of bars with cheap drafts. Not the $12 drinks of 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City