Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro would you choose to live in?
Jacksonville, FL 47 75.81%
Memphis, TN 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 11:41 AM

841 posts, read 825,345 times

Advertisements

I would have to pick Jacksonville pretty easily here, although Memphis is likely better for culture, food, and history. The setting is just way WAY better. If I'm going to have hot, humid summers and no mountains/great hiking, then I will take the deeper south coastal climate with the beaches and palm trees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 11:42 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston39 View Post
Northeastern Florida vs. southwestern Tennessee. Similarly sized at 1.59m vs. 1.36m. Which metro would you choose to live in, and why?
Scenery/outdoor recreation:
Culture: Memphis for history
Education: Tie
Economy: Jacksonville and it's not close. Even with only 1 F500 company in town it's got a big banking, insurance presence. as well as defense industries. JAX is attracting new and educated residents with higher incomes from all over the country which is contributing to its economic proliferation.
Food: Memphis for BBQ culture. Restaurant to restaurant comparisons they are a tie.
Cost of living:Memphis
Crime: Jacksonville
Infrastructure/transportation: Jacksonville
Urbanity: Tie
Desirable suburbs:Jacksonville
Climate:Jacksonville has better weather IMO. They both get oppressively hot, but JAX has less cold extremes. It does get brushed by hurricanes but not enough to lose this category.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:50 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Scenery/outdoor recreation: Jacksonville
Culture: Memphis
Education: Jacksonville
Economy: Jacksonville
Food: Memphis
Cost of living: Memphis
Infrastructure/transportation: Jacksonville
Urbanity: Increasingly, Jacksonville.
Desirable suburbs: Jacksonville
Climate: Memphis
Other:

Jacksonville. Not by a landslide.. but by a good margin.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:24 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Jacksonville all of the way. Its tropical beach climate is even better, IMO.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:01 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Scenery/outdoor recreation: Hmm... further out I would say Memphis has more options, but closer in, Jacksonville has the coast, etc... maybe slight lean Jacksonville.
Culture: Modest lean Memphis. Jacksonville has more character than some places than FL, but I think Memphis has more character and older culture overall.
Education: Not really sure, probably a slight lean Jacksonville.
Economy: Honestly not sure.
Food: Memphis from what I understand, at least for what it is good at.
Cost of living: Memphis
Infrastructure/transportation: Not quite sure about either area.. Maybe slight lean Memphis
Urbanity: Moderate lean Memphis
Desirable suburbs: Moderate lean Jacksonville
Climate: Tie, pretty much. Jacksonville gets more of a winter season than other parts of FL, and it has sea breeze/beaches during the summer. Memphis on the other hand has a more four season climate, which I like.

I think if given a choice of these two... to visit I would say Memphis, it is a more uniquely American city. To live though, probably Jacksonville, as it is relatively close to where family is now, it does have the coast which is nice, and I like the east coast location that puts it within a five hour drive of Miami, Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Pensacola, Savannah and Charleston, plus, fun fact but I really love hiking and the area around the Smokies, and while Memphis is only about 3 hrs. from Hot Springs and 5 from Chattanooga, I get the sense that getting to climate altering Appalachia and true depth of beauty of hiking in this area, Jacksonville is quicker-5.5 hrs. to Greenville, SC where things start off, and 6.5-7 to many of the best spots in the lower Appalachians (Blood Mountain, Highlands, Tallulah Gorge, Amicalola Falls), not close by any stretch, but doable in a long weekend. I also love how open and vast Jacksonville's beaches are. It's a feeling that's hard to get, but I don't really get it at any of the beaches in Tampa Bay/Gulf Coast area or those in South Florida, of being "out there".

Old 06-23-2021, 08:24 AM

611 posts, read 364,989 times
I don't understand how it's close for some of the comments above regarding urbanity. Jacksonville has a great setting with the river, but its downtown is kind of sad. Memphis has a pretty good stock of buildings and a downtown environment. Not perfect, but certainly a few level better than Jacksonville for this category.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:25 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
I don't understand how it's close for some of the comments above regarding urbanity. Jacksonville has a great setting with the river, but its downtown is kind of sad. Memphis has a pretty good stock of buildings and a downtown environment. Not perfect, but certainly a few level better than Jacksonville for this category.
Exactly I don't understand it. Not Only Is Downtown Mem more urban but it extends into Mid Town, and in most cases about 20 minutes in any direction from Memphis central core You're Still in a Dense Urban Environment. Memphis doesn't start turning suburban until many miles far from it's core

People on here saying Maybe it's Slightly more Urban or Marginally more Urban, NO Memphis is Far More Urban than Jacksonville

Old 06-23-2021, 10:27 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Exactly I don't understand it. Not Only Is Downtown Mem more urban but it extends into Mid Town, and in most cases about 20 minutes in any direction from Memphis central core You're Still in a Dense Urban Environment. Memphis doesn't start turning suburban until many miles far from it's core

People on here saying Maybe it's Slightly more Urban or Marginally more Urban, NO Memphis is Far More Urban than Jacksonville
Have you ever been to Jacksonville? It's no slouch in this category.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:23 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
If Memphis can manage to get Two Votes, Memphis wins and I'm not going to vote i will just sit on the side lines
Memphis wins, I guess!

Quote:
Economy: About Even, Jacksonville may be slightly larger, But does Jacksonville have any Fortune 500's ?
Yes, 3 for 2021 which is lower than in previous years.

FNF - Fortune #241 with $12.6B revenue
FNIS - Fortune #248 with $10.8B revenue
CSX - Fortune #292 with $10.6B revenue

Southeastern Grocers used to be a Fortune 500 but it went private a few years ago. It is on the Forbes Largest Private companies list at #52 with $7.7B revenue

Then there is Guidewell Inc which is a "non-profit" healthcare and insurance company, but is the largest of them all. Its most recent annual revenue reported was $19B. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GuideWell

The following all exceed $1B annual revenue:

Black Knight - just fell out of Fortune 1000
Dun and Bradstreet - just missed Fortune 1000
Fanatics - privately held but would easily be Fortune 1000
Acosta Sales and Marketing - private
Landstar - Fortune 1000
Crowley Maritime - private
Regency Centers - one of the largest REITs
Ring Power - private
Gate - private
Haskell - private

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Even with only 1 F500 company in town it's got a big banking, insurance presence. as well as defense industries. JAX is attracting new and educated residents with higher incomes from all over the country which is contributing to its economic proliferation.
ha you had me second-guessing myself when you said 1 F500...so I had to look it up to make sure. Hence my list above.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:42 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

ha you had me second-guessing myself when you said 1 F500...so I had to look it up to make sure. Hence my list above.
Doh sorry! I knew of CSX for sure but I couldn't find a concrete list so I only said one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City