Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities/regions do you think are best for a lover of history (visitor or resident)
Atlanta 39 48.75%
Austin 0 0%
Charlotte 0 0%
Dallas 9 11.25%
Houston 4 5.00%
Jacksonville 2 2.50%
Memphis 14 17.50%
Miami 3 3.75%
Nashville 6 7.50%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Raleigh 3 3.75%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 03:04 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,109,270 times

Advertisements

Dallas is there if count metro there Fort Worth it's sibling.

Now you can count the stock yark, chisholm trail, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 03:33 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,686,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Atlanta has a lot more significant history then people realize.

Gordon County an Atlanta exurban county was home of New Echota was Cherokee Nation capital before Trail of Tears

People just think one battle happen in Atlanta during the civil war, no over 20 civil war battles happen in metro Atlanta during the Atlanta Campaign.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...mpaign.svg.png

Atlanta historically a industrial and rail town. the term "new south" is the term after civil war the south embracing industry And Atlanta was pretty much the face of that idea during the late Victorian era. there a lot historic mills and warehouse in Atlanta.

With Atlanta being a modern Sunbelt metro people gloss over Atlanta history wise "And Birmingham" has more in common with Pittsburgh and Cleveland then it does with most their Sunbelt peers. Around the 60s The city sort of switched it's identity from Blue Collar to White collar.

castleberry hill.
https://castleberryhill.org/wp-conte...yspur-1935.jpg

Even today the city is being shape by it's industrial and rail past with Atlanta "beltline", "The Gulch" 'Atlanta underground" redevelopment projects. At the turn of century Atlanta became one of the country busiest rail hubs. So City leaders decides to raise the Downtown streets to a separate street level from rail lines, This is what created the Atlanta underground.

Atlanta's Viaducts

Atlanta's Viaducts

Atlanta's Viaducts

Gulch\Centennial Yards

Atlanta beltline

For a longtime there were still shops, bars Underneath the Viaducts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUVdm4jUEwk

A lot of people familiar that Atlanta had Blues, Jazz and Rock n Roll secene but oblvious to Atlanta history with country Atlanta was originally the capital of country music before Nashville. The earliest country folk music was record in Atlanta. It was pretty much Atlanta pre 50s Nashville post 50's.

Country music in Atlanta

Atlanta has significant history with civil rights. MLK and his SCLC was base in Atlanta. Atlanta is home the AUC which is a group of Historic Black collages, but even before MLK

1. Booker T Washington presented the Atlanta Compromise speech At Atlanta world fair

2. WEB Du Bois civil right leader and sociologist taught 23 years in Atlanta University wrote his "The Souls of Black Folk" amongst other writing in Atlanta.

3. marcus garvey civil right leader wrote his his famous paper “First Message to the Negroes of the World from Atlanta Prison" in Atlanta obliviously.
Excellent post! You and JMati gave me helpful thoughts on Atlanta itself-my wife and I have thought very seriously in the last year about relocating to kinda the Smokies/Piedmont region (somewhere I would say in the sorta triangle shaped area formed by Charlotte, Knoxville and Atlanta especially), as we love the mountains and hiking in this vicinity, as well as preferring the overall year round climate to where we are now. I don't think I'd move solely based on history, but at the same time, it's definitely something I enjoy doing in an area, and it's great to know that at least Atlanta offers so much, so in particular, the hope would be to be somewhere within like 2-2.5 hrs. of there, to be able to take day trips but also day hike in the mountains at many points also. Cheers!

Old 07-05-2021, 05:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,947,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Excellent post! You and JMati gave me helpful thoughts on Atlanta itself-my wife and I have thought very seriously in the last year about relocating to kinda the Smokies/Piedmont region (somewhere I would say in the sorta triangle shaped area formed by Charlotte, Knoxville and Atlanta especially), as we love the mountains and hiking in this vicinity, as well as preferring the overall year round climate to where we are now. I don't think I'd move solely based on history, but at the same time, it's definitely something I enjoy doing in an area, and it's great to know that at least Atlanta offers so much, so in particular, the hope would be to be somewhere within like 2-2.5 hrs. of there, to be able to take day trips but also day hike in the mountains at many points also. Cheers!
I know this is off topic, but as far as places to live check into Chattanooga, Knoxville and Greenville/Spartanburg. You also might want to check out Gwinnett County, in NE suburban Atlanta. It's very near Lake Lanier, and within 70 minutes of the mountains. They also have an award winning School system. I've been friends with several people that taught there, and they all loved it.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:36 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
None of these cities have rich history though because at the poster mentioned below most of these were nothing but a dot on the map until well after the civil war.
Truly. I grew up in Raleigh, and remember multiple school field trips to its one historic park -- notable mostly because the birthplace of a particularly ignominious president was moved there. The Civil War was pretty much over by the time the Union Army marched through.

Raleigh was so small until so recently that it wasn't even on the original 1956 interstate highway system map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Also not including mid-size to semi major southern cities that are strong here (Savannah, Charleston, Asheville, Richmond, Wilmington, etc.)... I know it's a silly way to classify them, but I cut it off at having a major league team in one of the Big 5 North American sports
Richmond has a comparable metro population to Memphis or OKC, and Hampton Roads is larger than either, but both are excluded simply because Virginians tend to root for DC-based sports teams.

Heck, just the nautical passage of Hampton Roads has seen more significant historical events (Jamestown colonialization, the 1619 arrival of enslaved Africans, naval battles in 1781, 1813, 1862, even a U-boat incursion in 1942!) than many large Sunbelt metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I know this is off topic, but as far as places to live check into Chattanooga, Knoxville
The battle for Chattanooga was more decisive in the Civil War than the siege of Atlanta. Bonus: that means NPS has lots of historic hiking trails flanking Lookout Mountain, just above the city.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:48 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,947,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Truly. I grew up in Raleigh, and remember multiple school field trips to its one historic park -- notable mostly because the birthplace of a particularly ignominious president was moved there. The Civil War was pretty much over by the time the Union Army marched through.

Raleigh was so small until so recently that it wasn't even on the original 1956 interstate highway system map.

Richmond has a comparable metro population to Memphis or OKC, and Hampton Roads is larger than either, but both are excluded simply because Virginians tend to root for DC-based sports teams.

Heck, just the nautical passage of Hampton Roads has seen more significant historical events (Jamestown colonialization, the 1619 arrival of enslaved Africans, naval battles in 1781, 1813, 1862, even a U-boat incursion in 1942!) than many large Sunbelt metros.

The battle for Chattanooga was more decisive in the Civil War than the siege of Atlanta. Bonus: that means NPS has lots of historic hiking trails flanking Lookout Mountain, just above the city.
Yep, and it also means that the NPS maintained Chickamauga Military Park (largely in Georgia) is also packed with hiking trails and beautiful vistas. All of the areas surrounding Lookout Mountain in both TN & GA are gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City