Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities/regions do you think are best for a lover of history (visitor or resident)
Atlanta 39 48.75%
Austin 0 0%
Charlotte 0 0%
Dallas 9 11.25%
Houston 4 5.00%
Jacksonville 2 2.50%
Memphis 14 17.50%
Miami 3 3.75%
Nashville 6 7.50%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Raleigh 3 3.75%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 02:41 PM

771 posts, read 639,613 times

Advertisements

1. Atlanta - Arguably the capital of the South, "New South," MLK, Morehouse, Civil War (Battle of Atlanta, Sherman), Coca-Cola

2. Memphis - The Peabody, Lorraine Motel, Blues, early Rock and Roll (Sun Records), Elvis Presley's Graceland, BBQ

3. Nashville - The quintessential "Upper South" city, Country music/Grand Ole Opry, Nashville sit-ins, Andrew Jackson's Hermitage

After those three, I'd say Charlotte or Raleigh. I'm biased but North Carolina is a good state for history. The other cities in the poll are either along the periphery of the South (Dallas, Miami, etc.) or arguably not even southern at all (Oklahoma City).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 11:25 PM

6,761 posts, read 6,797,719 times
No Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, Richmond or Mobile? Along with Memphis, those were the six largest cities within the Confederacy in 1860. Great history in all of those places.

Among your choices, I'd go with Memphis for both the cotton trading history and especially the music history. Memphis and the Mississippi Delta nearby have tons of blues and rock sites that go well beyond Graceland. Really should have put the Rock N Roll Museum there, it's where it started.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:11 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,605,717 times
No NOLA, which would be a clear winner? Perhaps that's why it was omitted?

Old 06-24-2021, 03:30 AM

7,078 posts, read 16,818,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
For the sake of what I'm doing here, and to promote a more interesting discussion I am:
-Eliminating New Orleans, and also San Antonio
-Also not including mid-size to semi major southern cities that are strong here (Savannah, Charleston, Asheville, Richmond, Wilmington, etc.). However, I will say that proximity to these places can be considered as one of the criteria

So, for the sake of this, the following metros are being considered:
1. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta
2. Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown
3. Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia
4. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington
5. Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land
6. Jacksonville
7. Memphis
8. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach
9. Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin
10. Oklahoma City
11. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford
12. Raleigh-Cary
13. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater

The goal of this thread is not to disparage any one of these cities but instead to show what each has to offer compared to one another. Feel free to share street views and/or pictures!

Criteria can be the following:
-Notable/Sophisticated Historic Structures
-Historic Districts/Neighborhoods Streetscape/Aesthetic
-Authenticity/Vibe (Old World-ness, etc.)
-Notable/Influential Residents
-Global Influence
-Historic Events and Societies/Museums/Engagement
-Quirk/Miscellaneous Factors

Why is Louisville left out? It gets left out of Midwest threads too. Especially historically and architecturally, Louisville is near the top in that.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:30 PM

5,033 posts, read 5,740,356 times
I see Atlanta is dominating the poll! Memphis is faring pretty well too, though.

San Antonio is not omitted because it isn't American history as it definitely is. It is omitted for the same reason New Orleans is-that it is exceptionally strong among big league cities, and thus would likely win.

Louisville also, not mentioned for same reason that solidly historical places in the region like Tulsa, Little Rock, Knoxville, Norfolk, Birmingham, etc aren't mentioned. Wanted to cap things and not have 35-40 cities in one poll. I may do a follow up one for cities not listed already that are midsized, then maybe small cities and small towns (again, excluding obvious ones: Charleston, Savannah, Williamsburg, Saint Augustine, etc.)

Old 06-25-2021, 05:37 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,045,331 times
Jacksonville(St,Augustine) Native American Seminoles,First city founded by Europeans in N.A.
Atlanta
Nashville
Memphis

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-25-2021 at 05:56 AM..

Old 06-25-2021, 08:44 AM

290 posts, read 179,309 times
I guess it depends on what period of history you're interested at. Atlanta has very little pre-1900 due to destruction during the civil war and just little preservation effort of what did survive during that time period, but it's a lot better for post-1900 and and especially civil rights era history.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:13 AM

757 posts, read 517,627 times
[quote=costellopresley82;61310293]1. Atlanta - Arguably the capital of the South, "New South," MLK, Morehouse, Civil War (Battle of Atlanta, Sherman), Coca-Cola

2. Memphis - The Peabody, Lorraine Motel, Blues, early Rock and Roll (Sun Records), Elvis Presley's Graceland, BBQ

3. Nashville - The quintessential "Upper South" city, Country music/Grand Ole Opry, Nashville sit-ins, Andrew Jackson's Hermitage

After those three, I'd say Charlotte or Raleigh. I'm biased but North Carolina is a good state for history. The other cities in the poll are either along the periphery of the South (Dallas, Miami, etc.) or arguably not even southern at all

This is a great list.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:35 AM

12,265 posts, read 8,209,001 times
[quote=QC Dreaming 2;61321985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
1. Atlanta - Arguably the capital of the South, "New South," MLK, Morehouse, Civil War (Battle of Atlanta, Sherman), Coca-Cola

After those three, I'd say Charlotte or Raleigh. I'm biased but North Carolina is a good state for history. The other cities in the poll are either along the periphery of the South (Dallas, Miami, etc.) or arguably not even southern at all

This is a great list.
Yeah agreed. CLT has some pretty interesting history.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:30 PM

9,815 posts, read 8,007,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I see Atlanta is dominating the poll! Memphis is faring pretty well too, though.

San Antonio is not omitted because it isn't American history as it definitely is. It is omitted for the same reason New Orleans is-that it is exceptionally strong among big league cities, and thus would likely win.

Louisville also, not mentioned for same reason that solidly historical places in the region like Tulsa, Little Rock, Knoxville, Norfolk, Birmingham, etc aren't mentioned. Wanted to cap things and not have 35-40 cities in one poll. I may do a follow up one for cities not listed already that are midsized, then maybe small cities and small towns (again, excluding obvious ones: Charleston, Savannah, Williamsburg, Saint Augustine, etc.)
Knowing what you are into, I think Atlanta is the best fit for this. If you do come, several things I think you would enjoy:

Oakland Cemetery - Amazing historic place, easy to spend an entire day here. Cool seafood joint across the street called Six Feet Under, with a nice rooftop deck overlooking the cemetery.

The BeltLine - The Eastside Trail from Piedmont Park to Inman Park is packed with history, blended with modern infill development. Ponce City Market is definitely worth checking out, and has the largest Food Hall in the SE. Inman Park was Atlanta's first streetcar suburb, and has a beautiful stock of Victorian homes. Krog Street Market and the surrounding blocks of Highland Avenue along the BeltLine are packed with local bars and restaurants.

Piedmont Park - Our signature urban park, in the heart of Midtown. Site of the 1895 Worlds Fair, there are still some of the original stairways scattered around the park. The Atlanta Botanical Garden next door is worth a visit as well.

MLK, Jr birth home and Historic District.

Atlanta History Center - Solid Museum with several great exhibits, the Cyclorama and the Gatsby-era Swan House.

Kayaking or tubing down the Chattahoochee.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City