Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro would you choose to live in?
Jacksonville, FL 18 72.00%
Oxnard, CA 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 09:14 PM

136 posts, read 136,326 times

Advertisements

Another Eastern vs. Western beach city match-up. Jacksonville’s significantly larger, but Oxnard’s proximity to LA debatably compensates for it. Which metro would you rather live in, and why?

Relevant topics of discussion listed below.

Scenery/outdoor recreation:
Culture:
Education:
Economy:
Food:
Cost of living:
Crime:
Infrastructure/transportation:
Urbanity:
Desirable suburbs:
Climate:
Other:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 09:25 AM

32 posts, read 31,149 times
2 words: Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:05 PM

179 posts, read 113,215 times
I have only been to Oxnard in this comparison. I don't think it's the "beach" city you envision. It's more a working class city, with many agricultural workers. The beach is nearby, but the city and suburbs are pretty bland. Also, it's quite a distance from LA, a good hour without traffic. Of all the beach towns in California, Oxnard may be one of the least exciting. Try Ventura, Santa Barbara, or Pismo.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:55 PM

136 posts, read 136,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
I have only been to Oxnard in this comparison. I don't think it's the "beach" city you envision. It's more a working class city, with many agricultural workers. The beach is nearby, but the city and suburbs are pretty bland. Also, it's quite a distance from LA, a good hour without traffic. Of all the beach towns in California, Oxnard may be one of the least exciting. Try Ventura, Santa Barbara, or Pismo.
I think you bring up a good point about Oxnard, but since it includes metro, Ventura is included with Oxnard as are Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:54 PM

1,009 posts, read 607,057 times
Jacksonville, because I've never heard anyone say "I want to live in Oxnard".

Old 07-07-2021, 11:30 PM

215 posts, read 477,471 times
I’ve never been to Jacksonville, nor Florida for that matter but I will still choose Oxnard. I don’t particularly like Oxnard, it’s not urban and the beach is okay but nothing to brag about. I wouldn’t say it’s a horrible looking city and they have tried to somewhat make it a destination city to come shop at the fairly new lifestyle center called The Collection. Oxnard have built a lot of communities around The Collection that are walkable sort of dense but it looks very generic to me.

I work very close to the area but actually live in LA San Fernando Valley, and between the two cities I suspect Jacksonville may be a nicer city but Oxnard has way better weather, it rarely gets hot in the summertime so air conditioning is not even standard. That’s the one thing I hate about the San Fernando Valley in the summer. I leave work and it’s nice, and once you get over the hill the temperature is like night and day. It could be 68 at 4pm in Oxnard but 30 miles away it’s 95.

Oxnard also has train access to LA, I know a few people who commute to downtown LA from here. Santa Barbara is approximately 30-40 minutes drive away, and then there is Ventura and Ojai close by. So my number one reason I pick Oxnard is for the weather alone, with all that’s close by it’s not like I would living in the middle of nowhere, Ventura is only like 10 minutes away.

Oh I almost forgot about Channel Islands Beach, this area is very beautiful, I most definitely won’t live there.

Last edited by LA Fan; 07-07-2021 at 11:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City