Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 08:45 PM

15 posts, read 21,231 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I would appreciate your valuable inputs in deciding between Lawrence KS and Dover NH as living place.
I have got 2 job offers, one from Dover and other from Topeka. We are considering these two places due to their proximities to kansas city/overland park and boston resp. In NH favor, There are lot of jobs for my spouse in boston as compared to kansas city though not sure if it matters as much as he can work from home too. We have some community ties with kansas city which we wont have in NH. I see lot of diversity in kansas city as compared to NH which can be another factor raising our kids. We are not that outdoorsy or have not got chance to discover that part of us so not sure if NH features are going to matter to us alot. I see NH comes up as one of the best states to live but I find it cold from outlook itself. I seem to be missing what makes NH so desirable over so called midwest. Lawrence we decided based on either way commutes to overland park and topeka. Still not sure what would be best place between dover and boston. Weather is another factor, one is moderately cold and other very cold in winters

Assuming both of my jobs are similar in other respects, I am not able to decide which one would be better.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 05:30 AM

12,174 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Personally. Dover NH

Not Sure if I could ever live in Kansas

Old 07-22-2021, 05:44 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
I lived in Portsmouth for a decade and I’m a native Massholian who mostly worked north and northwest of Boston. If you can afford it, you live in Portsmouth. Dover gets the overflow that is priced out. Portsmouth is easily the best place I’ve lived. It’s also only 50 minutes to Boston with no traffic. I had a symphony season subscription when I lived there. My employer had a luxury box at the Garden. I did tons of business travel and used Logan Airport a couple times per month. You have to do the housing cost math. The NH seacoast is expensive so your compensation had better reflect that reality.

I drove past Lawrence on June 3 on my way to Colorado but have never been there. Personally, if I’m picking between Kansas City and Boston, it’s not a hard choice. Boston has far more to offer but you need to earn enough to afford to live there.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:54 AM

332 posts, read 150,952 times
It would be interesting to hear where you're coming from but I think this is an easy decision if you don't value the outdoors and proximity to the coast in NH and being close to Boston and the northeast corridor doesn't matter then I'd def go with Lawrence. Lawrence is a more interesting college town imo.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:07 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,743,042 times
Dover

Old 07-22-2021, 09:07 AM

374 posts, read 564,280 times
Planted in your KS forum thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
I'm a Native Kansan, but the state has been in Reverse for a # of years. When I first voted, IF there was a Democrat on the ballot, it was someone whose beliefs would likely align w/Republican majority (Kansans haven't elected a Democrat as senator since 1932) other than on one issue.

KS is 98% privately owned => 50th in per capita public lands. Locals fought establishment of the Tallgrass Prairie Nat'l Preserve https://www.nps.gov/tapr/index.htm because it would take land off the tax rolls. Keep in mind that the majority of land in Chase Co. was owned by non-residents. The town of Strong City lost one of 2 "dining" spots, Pizza Hut (founded by Carney brothers of Wichita) during that timeframe. The county seat, Cottonwood Falls, < mile to the S, has at least 3 due to increased tourism.

Some years back, (we live in Manhattan, home of KSU, aka Silo Tech) we found ourselves in line @ Walgreen's pharmacy, behind a young woman w/Minnesota sweatshirt. As wife was considering a transfer to MN, I asked what it was like. She smiled, & said first off, there are 2 political parties . . . . laughter followed. She & husband were PHds, relocated to MN for expanded horizons. A common brain drain scenario for Kansas.

On education, I can tell you that in a job interview for science teacher, the superintendent admitted that he really needed a coach, more than a biology/chemistry/physics teacher. Most larger districts manage to accommodate education & SPORTS. Browse https://www2.ljworld.com , there was a recent article on sexual assault/harassment in High Schools being ignored, as athletes were the source.

Lawrence is an Island. Former Gov. Brownback used a defamatory term to describe it as a "Democrat (derogatory term)."

Caution on commuting, whether East or West, you're going to face the rising/setting Sun. There is nothing anywhere in Kansas to block the sun. People live in Lawrence, because of its Island nature, but lower-paying jobs => Commute.

Total balance of Federal Govt payments to KS: $2.5 billion

Per capita balance of payments: $797

Total balance of Federal Govt payments to New Hampshire: -$749 million

Per capita balance of payments: -$558

https://www.businessinsider.com/fede...19-1#hawaii-11

Kansans are averse to paying taxes, but eager to accept USDA/DHS $$$$ for ~345 Jobs @ the world's largest BSL-4 pathogen laboratory (no treatment, nor vaccine) for the containment of large animals. Basement has 3 "digesters" capable of consuming cattle, with room for more. Should a pathogen escape, the "cull zone" is a 250 mile radius.:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/kans...ility-aka.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtD8S5SnViQ&t=1s

Old 07-22-2021, 09:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,743,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I lived in Portsmouth for a decade and I’m a native Massholian who mostly worked north and northwest of Boston. If you can afford it, you live in Portsmouth. Dover gets the overflow that is priced out. Portsmouth is easily the best place I’ve lived. It’s also only 50 minutes to Boston with no traffic. I had a symphony season subscription when I lived there. My employer had a luxury box at the Garden. I did tons of business travel and used Logan Airport a couple times per month. You have to do the housing cost math. The NH seacoast is expensive so your compensation had better reflect that reality.

I drove past Lawrence on June 3 on my way to Colorado but have never been there. Personally, if I’m picking between Kansas City and Boston, it’s not a hard choice. Boston has far more to offer but you need to earn enough to afford to live there.
^^ Portsmouth is lovely for sure.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,897,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Personally. Dover NH

Not Sure if I could ever live in Kansas
I love Kansas ESPECIALLY Lawrence.

Dover NH is comparable to what used to be white blue collar vocational 1960s Boston. Not much diversity but much segreagation. I think it has a big meth problem

Lawrence is KU/KUMed so University town with lots of culture and people from all over the world. Id live in Lawrence right now, even tho Im a KState alum

Topeka proper is horrid. But close by and easy commute

[url]https://olioiniowa.com/2021/05/03/why-lawrence-kansas-is-on-my-to-visit-list/[/url]

[url]https://www.city-data.com/city/Lawrence-Kansas.html[/url]

[url]https://unmistakablylawrence.com/explore/visit/neighborhoods/downtown/[/url]

[url]https://lawrenceks.org/lprd/parks/[/url]

Old 07-22-2021, 10:52 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Unless living in a college town is a priority I would pick Dover, NH in a landslide as it is in a great location close to the coast (Portsmouth), White Mountains, Lakes Region, and Maine coast. I've actually lived in Lawrence, KS and near Concord, NH so I have more authority on this subject than most.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-23-2021 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-23-2021, 08:56 AM

15 posts, read 21,231 times
I am not sure if I would be comfortable with cold water ocean. Its nice thing to have around but again not sure if its for us. We have lived in places like montreal toronto and have hardly gone for skiing. It just tires us a lot with all those back aches etc. Tbh, whenever we went to dover or portsmouth(twice) for job purposes, we just became suffocated until we get out of those areas. Boston feels right though. Don't feel the same in kansas city. Cannot explain why may be all the wetness, so much stangant water, whiteness (no offense), etc. Everyone seems to be saying its no brainer to pick NH over kansas but somehow heart is not following. In the end, dont want to regret the decision. Fortunately, we are financially well off so finances etc are not the concern here. Just dont like the houses in NH areas that real estate agent showed us in both of our visits. They are small, cramped up, some painted with odd bright colors. I imagine the floor hardwood making creaking sound when walked upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City