Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best TX city for remote executive
Dallas 20 44.44%
Austin 11 24.44%
Houston 14 31.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 09:31 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
You really can work remotely from anywhere. Why do you want to be in Texas? BTW, airline travel has resumed. The airports are packed these days.
Agreed. If I had the flexibility to work anywhere in the US, two of those three metros (DFW and Houston) would be near the bottom of the list. Austin would only be slightly higher given that it shares the lousy climate of the other two but is more scenic and outdoorsy. If you held a gun to my head, I'd suffer through Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 12:03 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Have you been to Houston or DFW?
There are tons of local markets in Houston and DFW and Houston being so much more diverse than Austin has these local markets with a variety of international flare.

All three will have tons of concerts. Austin would have a lot of the indie stuff catering to a more narrow segment of society, while DFW and Houston would attract more varied types of concerts and bigger acts.

Bars and clubs same thing. Austin would be popular for the more vanilla crowd but DFW and Houston would have a mix of it all.

Restaurant??? Austin a better fit for Restaurants? Houston is a top foodie city. You gotta be kidding. DFW is also on a higher level than Austin especially in variety of fine dining options.

Face it, Austin punches over its weight for its size, but that doesn't mean it's better than Houston and DFW.
This are the 4th and 5th largest metros in the country so they are definitely going to have more of everything than Austin. Especially a place like Houston which is so highly diverse
Fair point on the markets and restaurants, though I can't imagine Dallas and Houston have better nightlife than Austin, with all the young people.

In terms of attracting musical artists, I find none of these cities are phenomenal, especially compared to coastal cities or Chicago, though Austin seems to do better comparatively. A lot of bands I follow tend to skip over Texas altogether, and the ones that do tour in Texas almost always go to Austin, but not necessarily Houston or Dallas. I also find the venues in Austin much more intimate.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:12 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Fair point on the markets and restaurants, though I can't imagine Dallas and Houston have better nightlife than Austin, with all the young people.

In terms of attracting musical artists, I find none of these cities are phenomenal, especially compared to coastal cities or Chicago, though Austin seems to do better comparatively. A lot of bands I follow tend to skip over Texas altogether, and the ones that do tour in Texas almost always go to Austin, but not necessarily Houston or Dallas. I also find the venues in Austin much more intimate.
Austin gets passed on for major concerts the most. Beyoncé/Justin Bieber will go to Houston and Dallas and skip Austin. Austin’s music festivals are getting so lame past couple of years. The ACL lineup was trash. Astroworld Lineup hasn’t came out yet but it won’t be hard to beat that. Plus it’s a bigger event anyway.

Austin certainly has something going you only get there for sure. As I mentioned, it’s where college town meets major city. And it’s got it going together in a way you can’t dream of having that atmosphere anywhere else in Texas. And combine that with the scenery, there are many reasons to choose Austin. But food and live music aren’t it. The major concerts are more exclusive than those indies.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Austin gets passed on for major concerts the most. Beyoncé/Justin Bieber will go to Houston and Dallas and skip Austin. Austin’s music festivals are getting so lame past couple of years. The ACL lineup was trash. Astroworld Lineup hasn’t came out yet but it won’t be hard to beat that. Plus it’s a bigger event anyway.

Austin certainly has something going you only get there for sure. As I mentioned, it’s where college town meets major city. And it’s got it going together in a way you can’t dream of having that atmosphere anywhere else in Texas. And combine that with the scenery, there are many reasons to choose Austin. But food and live music aren’t it. The major concerts are more exclusive than those indies.
I don't care for major corporate, mainsteam artists like Justin Bieber / Beyonce. I don't doubt that Dallas and Houston get more of those types of acts just by virtue of being much bigger cities. I agree ACL's lineup sucks, but Astroworld looks just as commercialized. It's really two sides of the same coin.

I'm talking artists like The Microphones, The Avalanches, Sweet Trip,
TV On the Radio, Ty Segall, Durand Jones & The Indications,, and Caribou. Just looking at upcoming/previous tour dates, they always tour in cities like Chicago, Seattle, Portland, and LA. If they do go to Texas (which usually they skip over) they are pretty much guaranteed to go to Austin because Austin has more of an artsy, indie scene.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Brendan, you don't think Houston and DFW have going people too?

They are more than 5 times as bug as Austin and have 5 times as many youngsters.

The difference is Austin caters to a young white crowd. Houston and Dallas caters to white, black, brown, green, yellow, red, blue, purple, gay, straight, in-between...

Everything Austin has the other two will have in excess.
Austin's indie scene is more prevalent because Austin isn't as well rounded as the other two.

In addition, Austin would not be as competitive for major acts as the other two. It's just a smaller market.

It's just like sports. Major markets tend to be better able to attract teams. Just like concerts. The bigger cities would attract bigger acts. Indie/ lesser known artists have a better shot in a city like Austin. Just like iys easier for Austin to attract MLS instead of NFL or NBA.

I know that there are exceptions to every rule, but no way would Austin be better at attracting any of those things listed in the post I originally responded too.

Austin has its niche, it has an easier time attracting tech talent or undergraduates, but in terms of amenities like the ones listed ( restaurants, concerts etc) it just can't compete.

It's one thing to say New Orleans is my favorite city for dining, but I can't honestly say it is a bigger for Dining than NY. The variety in NY just blows everywhere else away.

What you prefer doesn't mean it's best for everyone. Austin is more of that niche entertainment.

Last edited by atadytic19; 07-30-2021 at 01:38 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 02:45 PM

511 posts, read 399,442 times
Dallas because they have the best airport in Texas.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
It's just like sports. Major markets tend to be better able to attract teams. Just like concerts. The bigger cities would attract bigger acts. Indie/ lesser known artists have a better shot in a city like Austin. Just like iys easier for Austin to attract MLS instead of NFL or NBA.

I know that there are exceptions to every rule, but no way would Austin be better at attracting any of those things listed in the post I originally responded too.

Austin has its niche, it has an easier time attracting tech talent or undergraduates, but in terms of amenities like the ones listed ( restaurants, concerts etc) it just can't compete.

It's one thing to say New Orleans is my favorite city for dining, but I can't honestly say it is a bigger for Dining than NY. The variety in NY just blows everywhere else away.

What you prefer doesn't mean it's best for everyone. Austin is more of that niche entertainment.
The original post in this thread asks "What city of the group would YOU move to..." so I was just answering based on my own preferences, not the average person's. Had the question been posed differently, my answer probably would've been different.

For the types of live music that I care about, Austin is far better. As an example, Caribou and Yves Tumor are two of my top artists that I want to see this year. If I lived in Houston or Dallas, I would have to either drive to Austin to see them this tour or just wait and hope that they come by on their next tour, which would be a huge bummer. These aren't just isolated cherry picked examples, I can find several other artists where the same situation would happen. Deerhunter, my favorite band, have performed in Austin 5 times in the last six years, while they have performed in Dallas and Houston a whopping one time each.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:21 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Biggest doesn't always mean the best.
Plus the biggest airport is not in Dallas.
Dallas’s Love Field is the 3rd Biggest airport.

A lot of people prefer the ease and convenience of Hobby airport or Love Field

Old 07-30-2021, 04:26 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Biggest doesn't always mean the best.
Plus the biggest airport is not in Dallas.
Dallas’s Love Field is the 3rd Biggest airport.

A lot of people prefer the ease and convenience of Hobby airport or Love Field
“Dallas County”

Old 07-30-2021, 04:48 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I don't care for major corporate, mainsteam artists like Justin Bieber / Beyonce. I don't doubt that Dallas and Houston get more of those types of acts just by virtue of being much bigger cities. I agree ACL's lineup sucks, but Astroworld looks just as commercialized. It's really two sides of the same coin.

I'm talking artists like The Microphones, The Avalanches, Sweet Trip,
TV On the Radio, Ty Segall, Durand Jones & The Indications,, and Caribou. Just looking at upcoming/previous tour dates, they always tour in cities like Chicago, Seattle, Portland, and LA. If they do go to Texas (which usually they skip over) they are pretty much guaranteed to go to Austin because Austin has more of an artsy, indie scene.
As someone who follows mainstream more, ACL’s lineup was terrible no matter the audience. You cant even use the “post pandemic” argument because other mainstream festivals were a lot better. ACL used to have better sets but they’ve gone down the drain last couple of years.

But you liking indie music, I guess this doesn’t matter. Austin is your place for sure. You’ll still have to drive to a couple of hours for better food though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City