Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is better?
California 46 55.42%
Maine 37 44.58%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 08:33 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times

Advertisements

This one uniformly goes to California with the sole exception of COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 08:35 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
Yeah I don't think you guys are getting my point. My point isn't that Maine has a stronger economy than California (that's obviously not true). My point isn't that there are oodles of corporate, white-collar jobs in Maine. My point is that the term "economic wasteland" is really strong, and should be saved for the poorest of states. Maine does get by on tourism, seasonal residents, remote workers, etc. who "artificially" boost the economy. This dynamic keeps Maine afloat much better than the most economically depressed states.

And I don't think there's much point in saying that Maine is an economic wasteland "at the very least in comparison to a place like CA." It would be unbecoming to call an average looking man "absolutely hideous, at the very least in comparison to the young Jake Gyllenhaal." Just say it is not as economically powerful as California, which is obviously true.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:24 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Both are great states, but I prefer California (my home state.)

Old 08-04-2021, 10:32 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
More opportunities, things to do, lifestyle in California but Maine is cheaper and more friendly.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:03 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
I don’t think it’s fair to pick one of the US’ largest states compared to a state that’s smaller than the median size for recreation outdoor amenities and scenery. California if it was on the east coast would probably go as far south as the Carolinas give or take, or even Georgia. When you factor that in, I don’t think California is necessarily all that superior in recreation and scenery. Absolutely none of the Californian cities compare to what’s offered on the east coast for urban recreation, in addition when you factor in some of the upper south states in, you still have generally pleasant mild coastal areas good for surfing and what not. You have good mountain ranges with good winter recreation throughout most of that area while California only has winter in select places (Sierra Nevadas), in addition I’d argue water recreation (boating, kayaking) is better in a similar land size East Coast mega state to the California mega state.

Sure you don’t have deserts but if you ask most Californians about that, they don’t care, until Coachella rolls around. Ask a southern Californian about Lancaster or Victorville or El Centro and see what they have to say about the area. It won’t be something nice. Most desert recreation does not require a desert to do, like here in AZ a lot of people backpack, hike, camp, etc. Dunes are one thing but most dunes in California are at the NV and AZ borders, far from where people live. From LA or SD, potentially a bigger distance than the entire Maine coastline or close to. Depends where in those cities and which dunes you go to. Of course it’ll be much bigger from Central Valley or Northern California which have no dunes at all.

With better water and winter recreation, and bigger more diverse cities that are actually affordable to the average person, you can reasonably argue an equally sized East Coast mega state which includes Maine would even outrank California on recreation. California does have more dramatic scenery so naturally people may prefer that, but urban and outdoor recreation would easily be a more equal match. But I don’t think it’s fair to include the Redwoods for California when from LA that’s an entire day’s drive for outdoor recreation, but then not allow the Adriondacks or North Carolina beaches for Maine even though it may be the same drive time or even less.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:13 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don’t think it’s fair to pick one of the US’ largest states compared to a state that’s smaller than the median size for recreation outdoor amenities and scenery. California if it was on the east coast would probably go as far south as the Carolinas give or take, or even Georgia. When you factor that in, I don’t think California is necessarily all that superior in recreation and scenery. Absolutely none of the Californian cities compare to what’s offered on the east coast for urban recreation, in addition when you factor in some of the upper south states in, you still have generally pleasant mild coastal areas good for surfing and what not. You have good mountain ranges with good winter recreation throughout most of that area while California only has winter in select places (Sierra Nevadas), in addition I’d argue water recreation (boating, kayaking) is better in a similar land size East Coast mega state to the California mega state.

Sure you don’t have deserts but if you ask most Californians about that, they don’t care, until Coachella rolls around. Ask a southern Californian about Lancaster or Victorville or El Centro and see what they have to say about the area. It won’t be something nice. Most desert recreation does not require a desert to do, like here in AZ a lot of people backpack, hike, camp, etc. Dunes are one thing but most dunes in California are at the NV and AZ borders, far from where people live. From LA or SD, potentially a bigger distance than the entire Maine coastline or close to. Depends where in those cities and which dunes you go to. Of course it’ll be much bigger from Central Valley or Northern California which have no dunes at all.

With better water and winter recreation, and bigger more diverse cities that are actually affordable to the average person, you can reasonably argue an equally sized East Coast mega state which includes Maine would even outrank California on recreation. California does have more dramatic scenery so naturally people may prefer that, but urban and outdoor recreation would easily be a more equal match. But I don’t think it’s fair to include the Redwoods for California when from LA that’s an entire day’s drive for outdoor recreation, but then not allow the Adriondacks or North Carolina beaches for Maine even though it may be the same drive time or even less.
California is 800 miles from Oregon border to San Diego compare to 377 miles in Maine.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:35 PM

579 posts, read 512,188 times
Maine is more desirable if you are looking for a low key (compared to CA or Bos-Wash) summer beach house.

Other than that, no. It's too economically depressed.

California, despite all it's flaws and high cost of living is considerably more desirable.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:54 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,075 times
California has more oppurtunities and even though it has its negatives, its still one of the best places to be if you want to get in various industries whether entertainment, tech, business, etc. I do not hear many people moving to Maine to move up in the economic ladder. Plus California has much more ammeinites and the weather is considered the best in the nation which is a huge draw for many people compared to Maine. I feel like the highs of California are greather than Maine's.

But compared to Maine, California's negatives are much more extreme.

One must remember that even pre-pandemic, California has had a higher unemployment rate compared to Maine.

As of this June and out of ALL 360+ metro areas in the country, four metros in the San Joaquin valley are in the top ten highest in unemployment (look at https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm).

Therefore, if one is to call Maine economically depressed, its hard to ignore the fact that California can be even more economically depressed, especially in the San Joaquin Valley, which might as well be the Mississippi of the west.

I won't even get into the homelessness that exist in the major cities...

Old 08-05-2021, 08:29 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
California has more oppurtunities and even though it has its negatives, its still one of the best places to be if you want to get in various industries whether entertainment, tech, business, etc. I do not hear many people moving to Maine to move up in the economic ladder. Plus California has much more ammeinites and the weather is considered the best in the nation which is a huge draw for many people compared to Maine. I feel like the highs of California are greather than Maine's.

But compared to Maine, California's negatives are much more extreme.

One must remember that even pre-pandemic, California has had a higher unemployment rate compared to Maine.

As of this June and out of ALL 360+ metro areas in the country, four metros in the San Joaquin valley are in the top ten highest in unemployment (look at https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm).

Therefore, if one is to call Maine economically depressed, its hard to ignore the fact that California can be even more economically depressed, especially in the San Joaquin Valley, which might as well be the Mississippi of the west.

I won't even get into the homelessness that exist in the major cities...
No major metros in the san Joaquin valley. Only medium sized metros. That's why ppl don't talk about the region(1.5+ million ppl is major in my book) Unemployment was lowish before Covid and will return to low once Covid madness is over in the san Joaquin. As a matter of fact, trump got a boost in voters because of the lowered unemployment.

There's a lot of poverty/issues in the sj valley but they're all being addressed. You really think the politicos of California are ignoring one of its fastest growing regions?

I had a friend who lived in Maine back in the 00s. He couldn't wait to get out. He grew up with money, too. He loved the beauty of the state, but hated the provincial attitude of the people. I'm sure things have improved since then, but this hip Maine ppl are describing on here sounds like fantasy. Some of these ppl remind me of Midwesterners who glorify everything socal. Take strong CD opinions with a grain of salt, folks

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 08-05-2021 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 08:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Actually I have, lol. Multiple times I have traveled up during the winter to stay with friends for skiing. But thanks for your assumption!

None of what you're saying proves Maine is an economic wasteland. Still waiting on the data that backs up the claim. To me, a word as strong as "wasteland" could maybe be applied to the top 10 poorest states. Maybe.
While I agree that “economic wasteland” is a little harsh, I know a lot of people who grew up in Maine (and would love to move back) but can’t because there are no jobs. It’s definitely not a prosperous state outside of tourism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
but this hip Maine ppl are describing on here sounds like fantasy.
I don’t know about “hip”, but they definitely have good food and beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City