Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 11:59 AM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times

Advertisements

What are some of the more national and international recognized small cities and towns?

Criteria being cities that have less than 150K in population that are the main city within their metro.

Some I can think of

Atlantic City, NJ
Fargo, ND
Aspen, CO
Niagara Falls, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 12:13 PM

506 posts, read 478,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
What are some of the more national and international recognized small cities and towns?

Criteria being cities that have less than 150K in population that are the main city within their metro.

Some I can think of

Atlantic City, NJ
Fargo, ND
Aspen, CO
Niagara Falls, NY
Isn't Buffalo the main city in the metro where Niagara Falls is?

Old 09-23-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
Isn't Buffalo the main city in the metro where Niagara Falls is?
I stand corrected

Old 09-23-2021, 01:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,819,369 times
How about Asheville? Waco was famous in the 90s because of that Cult. Sturgis has an oversized brand. Oh and Green Bay

Old 09-23-2021, 03:01 PM

2,351 posts, read 2,307,117 times
Here are a few I can think of:

Key West
Maui (if that counts)
Juneau
Jackson, WY
Telluride, CO
Roswell, NM

Old 09-23-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
How about Asheville? Waco was famous in the 90s because of that Cult. Sturgis has an oversized brand. Oh and Green Bay
That’s funny. Half the people in the Texas thread were just swearing that no one associates Waco with that anymore.

Good additions on Waco and Green Bay

Old 09-26-2021, 08:16 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
I'd say that a lot of non-metropolitan beach towns could also fit within this category.

But I think that Palm Beach, Fla., also fits and is a metropolitan core city.

Others that might be on the bubble:

Carmel(-by-the-Sea), Calif.
Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Rehoboth Beach, Del.
Provincetown, Mass.

Galveston, Texas, would fit if it weren't part of Metro Houston already.

Fire Island would fit if Maui fits, but both islands consist of multiple communities, a few of them incorporated cities or villages unto themselves.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:08 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Panama City, FL (aka 'redneck riviera') and Fort Lauderdale, FL were famous in the past, for being college spring break party towns. True story, btw: a former aunt of mine was ACTUALLY one of numerous extra actresses from what I was once told, in the 1980s movie Spring Break (yep, about college partying in Fort Lauderdale). I get the sense somehow this might not be as true today about these beach towns, as it used to be like say in the 70s to 90s? I think South Padre Island was a little like this (had that college party town reputation), for south Texas just north of the US/Mexico border.

Asheville, NC is pretty well known (as another hinted at) because of the Biltmore estate, and because it has attracted a lot of new beer microbreweries and transplants. In western states, Bend, OR is similar.

Clarksdale, MS might have a little bit of national and international recognition, because of all its blues bars. Famous actor Morgan Freeman even owns a blues bar there, called Ground Zero.

Rehoboth Beach, might be debatable. It's cool Dogfish Head Brewery is based specifically there IIRC, and has a taproom there. I love their beer, btw. I just can't think if it has much of a famous reputation, beyond that. Maybe I'm not realizing some famous things about Rehoboth, that make it famous?

For Alaska besides Juneau, I'd add Sitka, Nome, and Homer are famous smaller towns there that seem to be popular with tourists. Also Skagway is famous, as well. And I can't forget Ketchikan, that small town is well known too!

Old 09-27-2021, 07:42 AM

1,013 posts, read 914,530 times
Of places not mentioned yet I think nationally maybe Myrtle Beach, Kalamazoo, Branson, Flagstaff, Walla Walla and Truth or Consequences. I’m stretching it here!

Old 09-27-2021, 07:54 AM

2,550 posts, read 2,876,302 times
Santa Fe, NM
Cooperstown, NY
Selma, AL
Branson, MO
Gatlinburg, TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City