Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 04:50 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,280,189 times

Advertisements

How would you order cities for name recognition for the top 10-13 metros

NYC/ LA/ DC

Bay Area/ Miami… Atlanta(ATL distant competitor on this level)

Chicago/ Boston/ Houston/ Dallas

Seattle/Philly… Detroit (DET distant competitor on this line)

And no, I don’t feel like I rated Chicago too low.

By name recognition:

-References in the arts and history
-current pop culture status
-the amount of people who visit the place
-how many global brands and landmarks reside there
- how much of it is referenced with big tech

Old 09-21-2021, 06:01 PM

12,172 posts, read 8,042,307 times
Nyc

La
Chicago

Sf
Dc
Miami

Bos
Hou

Atl
Dal
Sea

Phl
SD
Orl
Det

Old 09-21-2021, 06:25 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,125,225 times
Atlanta is the mecca of arguably the most famous music genre in the world. IDK, I feel like you're underrating it's importance in pop-culture. Or perhaps, I'm overrating it.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:36 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,280,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Atlanta is the mecca of arguably the most famous music genre in the world. IDK, I feel like you're underrating it's importance in pop-culture. Or perhaps, I'm overrating it.
Are you talking to the poster above you? I put Atlanta on the level of the Bay and Miami.. though not as popular on other fronts. So a little distant on that level. That’s still pretty high. I just feel like NYC, LA and DC are foundational to the country in unique ways that any literate person in the world will recognize.

But yes, I agree… for pop culture alone. Atlanta could be tier 1 nowadays.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 914,307 times
I think it goes like this….

1. NYC it’s probably the most known in the world or in the top 3.

2. Washington DC this is a hard second pick, it’s on every TV all day and night. Capital and Head of the US Government. Sometimes countries refer to the United States as “Washington DC”.

3. LA from movies this one is easy everyone has seen photos of Los Angeles. It’s one of a kind.

4. San Francisco songs, movies, tech, food, scenery the list goes on.

5. Close between Miami, Chicago and Las Vegas they’re all famous.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:57 PM

1,013 posts, read 914,307 times
I reread the question, I guess Las Vegas isn’t a large metro comparatively so I’m not sure about the list after the top 4.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:28 PM

663 posts, read 307,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
How would you order cities for name recognition for the top 10-13 metros

NYC/ LA/ DC

Bay Area/ Miami… Atlanta(ATL distant competitor on this level)

Chicago/ Boston/ Houston/ Dallas

Seattle/Philly… Detroit (DET distant competitor on this line)

And no, I don’t feel like I rated Chicago too low.

By name recognition:

The Bay Region in no way has Atlanta beat it. Tech just so huge. The SF Bay in legacy and even GDP by just metro easily beats the Atlanta metro as does Chicagoland. In coming years and decades, sure we will see if Atlanta region, Houston and Dallas to others rise much further by growth. Other smaller cities reaching for new found stardom also.

I will do Chicago to say it continues to be our 3rd city and solidly for the metro. Houston city a few years from a population by city-proper overtake. Size of Houston city is a few times Chicago. For Atlanta it is many more for city.

I respect the Atlanta regions solid growth and those desiring recognition. But to put it in the Bay Area's league and above Chicagoland is years to decades premature and do not underestimate the Texas metros.

By name recognition:

Top 50 Art museums in the US has the Art Institute of Chicago at #2. Atlanta has one come in at #47 in the High museum of Art.

Best Art museums in the US.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-art.../admiralcrunch

Cities in the US with the best museums.

#1 DC #2 Chi #3 NYC #4 Phi #5 Boston #6 LA #7 SF #14 Atl

https://www.ranker.com/list/u-s-citi...-07/travelgrrl

Best museums in the US.

https://www.ranker.com/list/the-best...states/nychick

Chicago by ranker.com 3 museums in the top 7.

The Atlanta Aquarium does rate top billing and largest. Chicago's Shedd Aquarium is the grand-daddy and still rates high #3 by many and still a top visited Aquarium in the Nation being 1000 miles from the ocean and still looks as if on a ocean on Lake Michigan and a legacy since 1930.

On music.
Chicago is the birthplace of gospel, electric blues, house, juke, footwork, and drill (no fan of drill) The unique sounds born in Chicago continue to resonate around the world.

Chicago is the theatre capital of the U.S.-- birthplace of storefront theatre and improv comedy, home to long-running Broadway hits and boasting more world premieres than any other city in the country. Broadway NYC clearly is the stardom acclaimed pinnacle to reach.

Top 10 cities to start a acting career in.
- LA / NY / London / Chicago / Miami / ATL / SF

https://blog.auditions.com/industry-...acting-career/

Last year, 13 shows were actively filming all around the city, including both new and long-running series. The 3-prime-time One Chicago franchise is huge and totally filmed in Chicago Chicago Fire a decade and bit less for the others. Virtually all Americans know of these shows on a Big 4 network. Chicago by far gets used for being itself and not another city. It clearly has its own look and architecture and grid that rarely is chosen to be another city and stand-in. Same for NYC or SF.

Pop-Culture is one of the most changeable by decade we have. So many cities contributed to it and music. The Rock era clearly has and lasted so many decades in genres within it spun off. It did not die and survives. Plenty of us alive, lived thru it. So many Rap songs keep sampling it and those who only know Rap have no idea till the original is heard. How will music change entering the 2030's?

https://www.choosechicago.com/blog/a...cago-tv-shows/

Tourism has grown every year in the 2010's for Chicago. Calculated hitting 57.6 million during 2018 city alone as it is calculated by city-proper here. The greater Core being the center of business and tourism. Sadly 2020 hit its hospitality sector hard as most cities. The build back is happening. Full conventions back fall onward show it will return and hit 2019 levels in coming years.

Atlanta metro hit 57-mil in 2019. How calculations differ do matter among cities and what % head to the city cores among cities.

McDonalds, Kraft (now Kraft-Heinz), Boeing (HQ offices),
Allstate, AON, United Airlines, Walgreens, BMO Harris bank, JLL, Hyatt hotels

Landmarks - Willis(Sears)Tower (tallest in world 25-yrs. would still be tallest in NA if antenna counted and higher top floor then Freedom Tower without spire), Wrigley Field (a National Historic Landmark 2020) Numerous early skyscrapers like the Rookery (second skyscraper built still standing) Wrigley Building just most of the business district and history of America architecture of skyscrapers. With American Architecture top billing.

Chicago also has Stock Exchanges adding to a global status and all stats give it Global billing.

GDP 2019
Atlanta --- 371.83 billion $
SF Bay Area - 531.25
Chicago -- 618.62
9-County Bay Area - 995 Billion $

The Bay Region owns this. No comparison. Whole Bay Region second only to NYC region.

My list and saying recognition asking by stats has stats rule over pop-culture merely today or perceived stardom.

NYC, LA
Chicago, DC, SF Bay
Bos, Phi, Sea
Hou, Dal/Ft Worth, Atl

For resort cities as founded in large part by.
Mia/Mia Beach, Vegas, Nola. Guess Orlando has to be here with Disney World's huge draw.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:48 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,355,195 times
O Meep....

Atlanta in tier 2 now...

These dumb threads have been beaten to death, but once again it is New York and Los Angeles. After those 2 the field becomes quite crowded and many cities could make a claim for the next spots.

If we are talking international name recognition (since most people don't know much besides the name and maybe a fun fact), my ranking...

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles

huge gap

3. Miami/San Francisco/Chicago/DC (very crowded group)
4. Boston/Philadelphia
5. Dallas/Houston
6. Atlanta
7. Seattle

My wildcard is Las Vegas. I don't know where to place it.

But after 7 it becomes too crowded and hard to determine.

Also, before people get butt hurt that their favorite city isn't ranked where they think it should be... Think of all the major cities in Europe, South America, Asia. We would be hard pressed to find an American that could name 5 cities on any of those continents, let alone know facts about their history, pop culture or economy...

I think Americans (or at least city data people) over inflate international recognition of their favorite cities.

(My credentials I've travelled the world far and wide, I have friends on 4 continents, clients everywhere, and I've asked this same question to them and the order I posted is based on all the knowledge and experience I have).

Last edited by cpomp; 09-22-2021 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-22-2021, 04:11 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,364,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
The Bay Region in no way has Atlanta beat it. Tech just so huge. The SF Bay in legacy and even GDP by just metro easily beats the Atlanta metro as does Chicagoland. In coming years and decades, sure we will see if Atlanta region, Houston and Dallas to others rise much further by growth. Other smaller cities reaching for new found stardom also.

I will do Chicago to say it continues to be our 3rd city and solidly for the metro. Houston city a few years from a population by city-proper overtake. Size of Houston city is a few times Chicago. For Atlanta it is many more for city.

I respect the Atlanta regions solid growth and those desiring recognition. But to put it in the Bay Area's league and above Chicagoland is years to decades premature and do not underestimate the Texas metros.

By name recognition:

Top 50 Art museums in the US has the Art Institute of Chicago at #2. Atlanta has one come in at #47 in the High museum of Art.

Best Art museums in the US.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-art.../admiralcrunch

Cities in the US with the best museums.

#1 DC #2 Chi #3 NYC #4 Phi #5 Boston #6 LA #7 SF #14 Atl

https://www.ranker.com/list/u-s-citi...-07/travelgrrl

Best museums in the US.

https://www.ranker.com/list/the-best...states/nychick

Chicago by ranker.com 3 museums in the top 7.

The Atlanta Aquarium does rate top billing and largest. Chicago's Shedd Aquarium is the grand-daddy and still rates high #3 by many and still a top visited Aquarium in the Nation being 1000 miles from the ocean and still looks as if on a ocean on Lake Michigan and a legacy since 1930.

On music.
Chicago is the birthplace of gospel, electric blues, house, juke, footwork, and drill (no fan of drill) The unique sounds born in Chicago continue to resonate around the world.

Chicago is the theatre capital of the U.S.-- birthplace of storefront theatre and improv comedy, home to long-running Broadway hits and boasting more world premieres than any other city in the country. Broadway NYC clearly is the stardom acclaimed pinnacle to reach.

Top 10 cities to start a acting career in.
- LA / NY / London / Chicago / Miami / ATL / SF

https://blog.auditions.com/industry-...acting-career/

Last year, 13 shows were actively filming all around the city, including both new and long-running series. The 3-prime-time One Chicago franchise is huge and totally filmed in Chicago Chicago Fire a decade and bit less for the others. Virtually all Americans know of these shows on a Big 4 network. Chicago by far gets used for being itself and not another city. It clearly has its own look and architecture and grid that rarely is chosen to be another city and stand-in. Same for NYC or SF.

Pop-Culture is one of the most changeable by decade we have. So many cities contributed to it and music. The Rock era clearly has and lasted so many decades in genres within it spun off. It did not die and survives. Plenty of us alive, lived thru it. So many Rap songs keep sampling it and those who only know Rap have no idea till the original is heard. How will music change entering the 2030's?

https://www.choosechicago.com/blog/a...cago-tv-shows/

Tourism has grown every year in the 2010's for Chicago. Calculated hitting 57.6 million during 2018 city alone as it is calculated by city-proper here. The greater Core being the center of business and tourism. Sadly 2020 hit its hospitality sector hard as most cities. The build back is happening. Full conventions back fall onward show it will return and hit 2019 levels in coming years.

Atlanta metro hit 57-mil in 2019. How calculations differ do matter among cities and what % head to the city cores among cities.

McDonalds, Kraft (now Kraft-Heinz), Boeing (HQ offices),
Allstate, AON, United Airlines, Walgreens, BMO Harris bank, JLL, Hyatt hotels

Landmarks - Willis(Sears)Tower (tallest in world 25-yrs. would still be tallest in NA if antenna counted and higher top floor then Freedom Tower without spire), Wrigley Field (a National Historic Landmark 2020) Numerous early skyscrapers like the Rookery (second skyscraper built still standing) Wrigley Building just most of the business district and history of America architecture of skyscrapers. With American Architecture top billing.

Chicago also has Stock Exchanges adding to a global status and all stats give it Global billing.

GDP 2019
Atlanta --- 371.83 billion $
SF Bay Area - 531.25
Chicago -- 618.62
9-County Bay Area - 995 Billion $

The Bay Region owns this. No comparison. Whole Bay Region second only to NYC region.

My list and saying recognition asking by stats has stats rule over pop-culture merely today or perceived stardom.

NYC, LA
Chicago, DC, SF Bay
Bos, Phi, Sea
Hou, Dal/Ft Worth, Atl

For resort cities as founded in large part by.
Mia/Mia Beach, Vegas, Nola. Guess Orlando has to be here with Disney World's huge draw.
Nice research on this post. And yes, Meep is ranking Chicago waay too low and his hometown of Atlanta Waaay too high. And don't forget that in a global ranking Chicago was rated 2nd most beautiful in the world, and had the second most visitors after NYC. https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news...box=1631210294

Old 09-22-2021, 06:03 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,401,758 times
Globally Chicago has a higher name recognition than Atlanta, among certain American demographics Atlanta may have an elevated name recognition over Chicago. It depends on who you ask and what they’re looking for in a city.

New York
Los Angeles
DC
Chicago/ Bay Area

My rankings above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.