Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 10:41 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyFoot View Post
I've seen Minneapolis in the news far more over the last year than the vast majority of the cities listed here. It was the epicenter of world-wide protests, riots, defund the police talks, etc. and will continue to be in the news or discussed for years. It is now probably the most recognized mid-size US city on a global scale. It already had the the pop culture and brands and now has the historical significance so it belongs on the list. Also, Detroit should be much higher - definitely above the likes of Denver, San Diego, Portland, and Phoenix.

I'm not going to try and rank the cities / metros, but IMO, these are the ones with most name recognition.

NYC
LA
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington D.C.
Boston
Las Vegas
Seattle
New Orleans
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Detroit
Dallas
Houston
Minneapolis
Nashville
Orlando

Yeah, Minneapolis will definitely have a place in history, social sciences, and other academic books after last year's events. In terms of brands, there are a few corporations based in the Minneapolis area who well known (name and products). The city also made it's mark in pop culture starting in the 80s with Prince and all the bands associated with the Minneapolis Sound as well as other bands coming from the area at that time.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:54 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
How would you order cities for name recognition for the top 10-13 metros

NYC/ LA/ DC

Bay Area/ Miami… Atlanta(ATL distant competitor on this level)

Chicago/ Boston/ Houston/ Dallas

Seattle/Philly… Detroit (DET distant competitor on this line)

And no, I don’t feel like I rated Chicago too low.

By name recognition:

-References in the arts and history
-current pop culture status
-the amount of people who visit the place
-how many global brands and landmarks reside there
- how much of it is referenced with big tech
I think you rated Chicago too low. It's ridiculous that you put Atlanta above it; they're not even remotely in the same league as far as global or U.S. recognition. Please move Atlanta down a few pegs, probably below Philadelphia. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:03 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
I agree. Chicago is a whole nother level of city, and that's well known.

meep, if you could sorta make that change, that would be super. (sip)

Old 09-23-2021, 04:35 PM

626 posts, read 463,237 times
It seems like these days Atlanta artists have been making more music videos set in Miami than even in their hometown Atlanta.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
It seems like these days Atlanta rappers have been making more music videos set in Miami than even in their hometown Atlanta.
Atlantans love California scenery too , but even then … they shout out and reference Atlanta. As an art, hip hop is different — where you rep is intrinsic to who you are. That’s not the case other genres, that’s what makes it such a powerful tool in propagating popularity for a place.

But my reason(s) isn’t limited to hip hop. Like the other poster said, just social media in general, famous people garner a lot of attention via social media. You have a lot more of that in Atlanta than Chicago at the moment.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Chicago has better international name recognition than Atlanta and it’s frankly not close.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:30 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Someone probably has good data on brand strength.

Here's one about internet mentions. LA and SF seem too low...my guess is the study doesn't account for their various names...maybe Los Angeles and LA but not SoCal for a hypothetical example. https://urbannext.net/the-usas-most-...-about-cities/

Another puts "amenities" on one axis and "buzz strength" on another, but is from 2014. http://turkishpolicy.com/files/artic...er-2014-en.pdf

Chicago beats Atlanta on both of course.

Maybe someone can find a couple studies that suggest otherwise.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:03 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

Here's one about internet mentions. LA and SF seem too low...my guess is the study doesn't account for their various names...maybe Los Angeles and LA but not SoCal for a hypothetical example. https://urbannext.net/the-usas-most-...-about-cities/

Another puts "amenities" on one axis and "buzz strength" on another, but is from 2014. http://turkishpolicy.com/files/artic...er-2014-en.pdf

Chicago beats Atlanta on both of course.

Maybe someone can find a couple studies that suggest otherwise.
Thanks for putting this in black and white, rep for you for using data and not some idea in your head. In both studies of name recognition, Chicago seems to be way ahead of Atlanta. No surprised if you look at things objectively and from all sides. These two studies were really interesting as well, especially the one where LA was #1, Chicago #13, and Atlanta fairly high at #22, for all the reasons stated by Meep and others.

In study #2, Chicago was #2 in the world. I would say that that was high, but interesting.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:15 PM

626 posts, read 463,237 times
Quote:

Wow that's a huge drop off after NYC, LA, Chicago and Miami.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:26 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:

I mean.. This seems pretty accurate.

But yeah, would like to see more data on this. I'd all but gaurantee NYC, LA, and Chicago are heads and shoulders above the rest. Miami and Las Vegas makes sense. Then comes Boston, SF. Again, no real surprise here.

I'll say this - Kudos to Atlanta if this data is accurate. Higher than I would have thought, candidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City